Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Rock Soc**very important

Options
  • 21-05-2005 12:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭

i got a call from the Societies recognition committee yesterday, they gave me an appointment for wednesday so that they can review my application with me there and possibly get society status for ROCK SOC!!!!!!!!!

anyone who would be willing to get involved in the running of this society, please let me know, i am unable to fully comitt myself to this society up as i dont know if i will be in ucd next year!!

i have done all the hard ground work, all i need is a few of you guys to take over from here.

The official name i gave the society was 'The Rock n' Roll and Alternative Music Society' or 'Rock Soc' for short. the constitution is written, the manifesto is set out, the signitures are collected (90 of them, all collected by me outside the libraby :D )

one of the main points in my manifesto was that student musicians should be given access to spare rooms for practice, this is one of the key features so if you are going to take on the mantle of rock soc you need to agree that a college of ucd's size should provide access to rehearsal rooms.

to contact me:

*reply here
    *pm
    *rock_soc@hotmail.com

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

I'm absolutely delighted that a ''RockSoc'' is being set up. There are so many rock/alternative/indie music fans out in this college it is really ridiculous that a society like the proposed Rock Soc does not exist.

What would exactly be required from someone to be involved in the running of the society? I haven't been an active member in UCD societies so I don't have much knowledge of how societies are run. I could be interested in been involved in some shape or form but I'm the same as you in the fact that its quite unlikely that I'll be returning to this college next year.

Anyway good luck and I'm certain Rock Soc will be a huge success

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

If I make it to next year I'll help out if ye need it when I can. But like yourself, can't confirm anythign till I find out if I made the final year or not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭sportswear

made buzz. well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭chebe

You may have some problems with RocSoc, seeing as how you guys have the same name. And they are already established. (you know, RocSoc, as in rocks, geology)

Was there another similar society out here a few years back? What happened to it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

What would exactly be required from someone to be involved in the running of the society? I haven't been an active member in UCD societies so I don't have much knowledge of how societies are run. I could be interested in been involved in some shape or form but I'm the same as you in the fact that its quite unlikely that I'll be returning to this college next year.
    Someone just volunteered to be a poster monkey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Hanginthere

Yea Ild love to help with this Soc , It could be somthing good rather than the usual soc which does nothing and is an excuse to drink..... which isnt a bad thing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

rock Soc? I thought there was a geology society already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

yeah i'd be interested in getting involved, but i'm heading into my final year so i couldn't really commit to too much

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

What has Rock got to do with alternative music?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

Sangre wrote:
    What has Rock got to do with alternative music?
    nothing. your point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Seraphina wrote:
    yeah i'd be interested in getting involved, but i'm heading into my final year so i couldn't really commit to too much

Ditto. Well, hopefully! Gotta pass these Autumn repeats...

Provided that I am in UCD next year, this is definitely a society I'd make it my business to be involved with. Nice one, ferdi. Top man!

*Gives ferdi a pat on the back*

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Was there another similar society out here a few years back? What happened to it?
    Yeah, RockSoc existed five or six years back. Afaik it dwindled and died due to lack of interest/effort and some of the organisers then set up AltSoc to fill the void.

Rock had an iffy few years there between 1998 and 2002. It just seemed like no bands were getting any proper mainstream attention.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Nice one. I'm going into final year and might be getting involved with Sonic Arts or the like so i'm afraid i won't be able to help out... It'll be good to get some decent rock in UCD though, seen as recently UCD's meaning of it seems to have morphed into "the damian rice impersonator contest"!!! Best of luck - anything is better than the oompa loompa's choices on that damn jukebox :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

Yeah, YOU CANT KNOCK THE ROCK! Go blackrock!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Well done man, great you've got this going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭larryone

There was the alternative music society a few years back, (I'm talking about back in 2000, when I statred college - god I feel old) it was good for a year. It no longer exists.
    Then the music society broke their affiliation with the music department and did stuff with more diverse music. That also lasted about a year. It exists, but very few people are interested in it, and there was trouble over accounts, to the point that Richard Butler is now the senior treasurer.
    So this is the third time I've seen people trying to organise a society that does diverse music stuff. I do hope It works out, but based on what I've seen before It'd have to be very well organised to last it out. But hey - even if it doesnt, at least we get to *Rock* for at least a while =0)

*listens to some ROCK*

seamus wrote:
    Yeah, RockSoc existed five or six years back. Afaik it dwindled and died due to lack of interest/effort and some of the organisers then set up AltSoc to fill the void.

Rock had an iffy few years there between 1998 and 2002. It just seemed like no bands were getting any proper mainstream attention.

Yeah there is no doubt that a ''Rock Soc'' during this period should be popular. The scene from 1998-2002 was stale and its since then indie/rock has become the most mainstream form of music due to the fantastic death of manufactured pop, dance music and the sheer awfulness of r'n'b and hip hop. It should be popular but how the society presents itself and how it is run will be vital if it is to be successful.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Dealing with Richard Butler would make you want to lose the will to live. He'll want to be stuck in your accounts etc. - only let him control what he's entitled to and no more. Experience talking here...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

Red Alert wrote:
    Dealing with Richard Butler would make you want to lose the will to live. He'll want to be stuck in your accounts etc. - only let him control what he's entitled to and no more. Experience talking here...
    Couldn't agree more...wouldn't trust the guy as far as I could throw him!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

blondie83 wrote:
    Couldn't agree more...wouldn't trust the guy as far as I could throw him!

I don't know the guys girth but you do do ninjitsu so how far (to the nearest kilometer) would you be able to throw him? :p

well i missed the meeting on wednesday so rock soc is dead.

the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

hahaaha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

ferdi wrote:

the end.
    ah here!

ferdi wrote:

the end.

*shakes head disappointedly*:(

Ya let us down, dude.

After building our hopes up, and raising our expectations above what we had previously only dreamed of... Ya miss the meeting.

I... I don't even wanna KNOW you, man... :mad:

P.S. Just kidding! At least you tried

ferdi wrote:

the end.

Mother of Jaaaaayyyysuuuussss.... YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS!!!!!!! :eek:

You go to all the trouble of organising a manifesto for a Rock Soc and its all dead because you ''missed the meeting.'' Obviuosly you slept it out or something because if it was an important reason you would have mentioned it. Was this a big piss take or something? :confused:

Well every cloud has a silver lining because the society obviously wouldn't have been a success as the person organising it can't be bothered to be punctual.

Not flaming you man but I'm kinda disapointed and annoyed because I feel UCD needs a society like this and it could have been a huge success.

Ah well at least we can now put all of our efforts into PatSoc. :D

Ah, dear Zane. He always puts a brave face on things, bless him. :D

*Chants* PATSOC, PATSOC!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,588 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

In fairness, PatSoc would be the rockinest soc of all. ;)

i intentionally didnt go, when i started rock soc i thought i'd get some definite help, when the offers of help came, they were too late. if i went to the meeting i would have committed my self to a year of running rock soc which is a commitment i cannot make as i explained before.

if any of you is actually serious about setting up a society of this nature, start now, its **** all work to be honest, i did it all in about 2/3 days tops

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭chebe

I gotta stand up for Butler here. He's been great to me and mine and patient beyond belief. The only people that can't get on with him seem to be idiots that he has no time for.

And if it's any consolation even if you had made that meeting there was no guarentee that you would have been recognised, especially with so many other similar societies that could simply be revitalised.

Advertisement