Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An experiment with random dishes

• 21-05-2005 1:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭

Folks, I have this weird idea.

Who wants to join me in an experiment of cooking random dishes?

The plan is this: we nominate something to cook, then everyone cooks it (on the same evening if possible), to varying recipes, posts up their results (did it turn out okay, did it taste any good, was it easy/hard to cook) and we nominate a "best" version of whatever dish it is.

Thing is, it has to be something "famous". Some sort of random thing that lots of people may have heard of, all the better if you're not quite sure what it is.

For instance, you've heard of Osso Bucco but you've no idea what it is. So you nominate it, then if people agree to cook it, you go foraging on the internet for a recipe. Then you cook it, from that recipe, noting any changes you make, and post up your result.

(I'm using Osso Bucco as an example because there's no bloody way I'm cooking that because it's far too expensive and takes sodding ages).

Anyone else feeling experimental?

Thing is, to make it accessible, it shouldn't be a hugely difficult dish to cook, should have ingredients that are easy enough to buy and shouldn't involve, for instance, ten hours of marinating before you can have it for your tea...

Anybody?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Sounds like fun, once everyone's honest with their recipe/results. Are pics of the finished dishes necessary too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Could do... we'll say photography isn't compulsory, but you should have to specify how you served it, e.g. "Osso Bucco in wooden bowls with ginger ale out of the bottle, eaten at 8pm in the back garden, sitting on plastic garden chairs, but with our coats on coz it was freezing".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

that sounds complicated but interesting
    moving out over the summer so will be doing lots of first time cooking, it'll be fun to keep track of the disasters and get some ideas for meals too. im not a beans on toast every day kinda student bum :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Alanna

I think it's a good idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Who wants to join me in an experiment of cooking random dishes?
    Sounds interesting.

Mark me down as a probable.
    Thing is, it has to be something "famous". Some sort of random thing that lots of people may have heard of, all the better if you're not quite sure what it is.

For instance, you've heard of Osso Bucco but you've no idea what it is. So you nominate it, then if people agree to cook it, you go foraging on the internet for a recipe. Then you cook it, from that recipe, noting any changes you make, and post up your result.
    Do you even need to go so "extreme"? I mean, there's dishes that we all probably have regularly which no two people cook the same way. It could be just as interesting to pick a "common dish" like this and see what happens.

Simplest example that comes to mind....spag bol. Yup - its dead boring and simple...but I'd bet that if you got a fist of ppl to cook it (from first principles - no jars allowed and nothing more processed than tomato puree) with no discussion before-hand, and then got them all to write it up, you could have a really interesting read....specially if ppl who usually cook with Dolmio or something actually try it out from scratch themselves.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't aim exotic at all...I'm just saying that we shouldn't write off the classics that everyone knows just because everyone knows them. The "twists" that everyone has on the classics always make it just as worth reading about.
    (I'm using Osso Bucco as an example because there's no bloody way I'm cooking that because it's far too expensive and takes sodding ages).
    Doesn't take that long ;)
    and shouldn't involve, for instance, ten hours of marinating before you can have it for your tea...

Why not? I mean...seriously...why not? You don't want every dish taking an age to prepare, but marinading today to eat tomorrow, or slow-cooking / simmering something like a goulash or curry for 2-4 hours isn't that big a deal for a weekend evening's dinner. It just takes a bit of planning...and seeing as looking up recipes etc. will also take planning....

Anyway...just some thoughts....but good idea.

jc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

bonkey wrote:
    Sounds interesting.

Simplest example that comes to mind....spag bol.

jc

Exactly what I was thinking of when I read the first post - great idea, but don't call it spag bol!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

How about Jerk Chicken?
    Thats what Im having tonight anyway.

Good point actually - I know no two people make bolognese sauce the same way. Right, other thoughts I'd have, from the typical to the bizarre, the unusual to the mundane stuff that no two people cook the same way, would be:

Risotto
    Philadelphia Cheese Steak
    Chili Con Carne
    Moussaka
    Neeps and Tatties
    Chicken Chasseur
    Kielbasa

I think we should get a list of ten, then open a poll on what goes first...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Common as muck dishes
    spaghetti bolognese
    Shepherds Pie
    Chicken Curry / Beef Curry
    lasagne

Somewhat more exotic
    Picata Milanese
    Bami Goreng
    Goulash
    Ratatouille
    Chow Mein
    Chicken Teriyaki

Just for fun
    Spare ribs
    Chips n burgers
    fajitas ( or enchiladas, or chimichangas)

Its a sunny weekend, and we're gonna have a party
    BBQ w. salads

I hate spaghetti bolognese, so much. It annoys me how popular it is.

• Advertisement

Right! let's start with spaghetti bolgonese then! This Friday night's meal!

Well I already made Jerk Chicken. Forgot to photograph it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭deecom

I like the idea! Just had salmon fish cakes! Eh....... forgot the camera though? Anyone see how this is going? :confused: Think we need a game plan!

*runs off to cook random dish* :p

Advertisement