Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Earth orbit?

Options
  • 21-05-2005 2:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭

Someone told me the other day that the Earth orbit around the sun is not a smooth perfect ellipse (as drawn in every schools atlas, science book) and is instead more like a series of sine waves moving in and out of this 'ellipse path' due to the gravatational pull of the moon. I guess it could kind of be described as two planets waltzing along an imaginary ellipse line.

Is this true? If so what is this effect called and is there anywhere I could get an simple animation that accurately shows earth and lunar movements around the sun?

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Todays word - baricentre

IIRC the earth-moon baricentre is smaller than the earth radius,

There would be other wobbles too - from the other planets and the fact the orbit changes over time - the ones that cause Ice ages n' things.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

A strange orbit.
    http://www.astro.uwo.ca/~wiegert/3753/3753.html

Near-Earth asteroid 3753 Cruithne
    --Earth's curious companion--

Advertisement