Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VDSL2 is on its way - 100Mbps up/down to 3.6km

Options
  • 21-05-2005 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭

http://gigaom.com/2005/05/19/vdsl2-100-mbps-over-copper-next/
    * ADSL has speeds up to 8 Mbps downstream and 1 Mbps upstream. Can be deployed from Central office and has a range of 15,000 feet and longer.

* ADSL2+ has a maximum speed of 25 Mbps downstream and 1 Mbps upstream. Can be deployed from Central office and has a range of 15,000 feet and longer

* VDSL , some chipsets that use the optional spectrum of 30 MHz can do 100 Mbps downstream and 50 Mbps upstream. Current carriers include NTT, KDDI, Korea Telecom, and Softbank BB of Japan. Has a range of about 5,000 feet

* VDSL2 has speeds of 100 Mbps downstream and 100 Mbps upstream. Has a range of about 12000

12000 feet = 3 657.6 KM

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I'm launching a new company called Genesis Europe 2 to take advantage of this wonderful new technology. :)

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

You can start with their website I guess. You still got the old template? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

hmmmm :P

someone lend me some money so i can start me my own telco :P /me runs off to AIB to get a student loan

damien.m wrote:
    You can start with their website I guess. You still got the old template? :D
    (In Clinton voice) I did not have design relations with that website.

(Actually I didn't, although my name was in the comments for a while for some reason. Can't remember why though.)

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Jeez wow Genesis 2... Still 45Mbit up & down? Or are we up to 100Mbit up & down nowadays? Seeing as the original offer was soooooooo long ago...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

dahamsta wrote:
    I'm launching a new company called Genesis Europe 2 to take advantage of this wonderful new technology. :)

adam

Genesis...wow forgot that!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

What was Genesis? I don't remember this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

I've never heard about them either, but then they originated in Cork so presumably nobody except the Examiner took them seriously. This article is one of the funniest things I've read in quite a while: http://ted.examiner.ie/archives/1999/october/13/bpage%5F1.htm

Blaster99 wrote:
    I've never heard about them either, but then they originated in Cork so presumably nobody except the Examiner took them seriously. This article is one of the funniest things I've read in quite a while: http://ted.examiner.ie/archives/1999/october/13/bpage%5F1.htm

Oh, dear... That was 6 years ago, it must be nearly ready. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭zenith

Blaster99 wrote:

Actually, quite a lot of 'internet branes' that are even now part of IO took them seriously and were happy to take their money, so it'd be interesting to see what they say about them ...

• Advertisement

So what happened to them and their amazing "internet through the dial-tone" technology?

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭bminish

Blaster99 wrote:
    So what happened to them and their amazing "internet through the dial-tone" technology?

I dunno, How much tax payers money did they get and was it all accounted for in the end?
    I do know that they never followed though on their kind offer of legal action against me for my Usenet postings.

.Brendan

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Great how all these new faster technologies come out when most of the country cant get broadband :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Its nice to see Japan and Korea surging ahead while we lag behind [sic] once again. How long will it take to be implemented here - 10, maybe 20 years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

We don't want this sort of thing here. We want stuff that is realistic and works.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Meanwhile BT is developing technology to upload your brain (presumably over their super-fast broadband).

Back in 1996 they developed a chip that would record all thoughts and emotions.
    British Telecom would not divulge how much money it is investing in the project, but Dr. Winter said it was taking 'Soul Catcher 2025' very seriously. He admitted that there were profound ethical considerations, but emphasized that BT was embarking on this line of research to enable it to remain at the forefront of communications technology.
    Presumably this is why they didn't get around to broadband until 2000 after the cable companies had taken the lead.

Personally I can't wait for all these exciting technologies to come to fruition.

Did anyone actually send Genesis money? Did they get it back?

That thread that was posted was very amusing with people standing up for them and saying their mistery product was possible.

paulm17781 wrote:
    That thread that was posted was very amusing with people standing up for them and saying their mistery product was possible.
    I was one of them, and I still drink regularly with some of the lads. They're some of the cleverest people I've met, and without a few of them the networks you're sitting on would be crumbling wrecks. There was no "mystery", and technically it was possible. It just wasn't viable. Big difference.

adam

• Advertisement

dahamsta wrote:
    There was no "mystery", and technically it was possible. It just wasn't viable. Big difference.

adam

Now that it's all history would you be willing to share some information on what they were at and how it was supposed to work?

.Brendan

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

still cant even get ADSL never mind ADSL2

How was it possible and what have they done for our networks? If it was possible how come they have not revolutionised the world? They were offering 45Mb before we had heard of 8Mb DSL.

VDSL involved street cabinet-level unbundling, i.e. the DSL modems (DSLAMS) would go in the Eircom cabinet at the top or end of your road, instead of in the exchange. Less distance means higher speeds, and the closer to the cabinet you were the higher the speeds went, ostensibly up to the claimed 45MB. In reality, the full 45MB was really only achievable in laboratory conditions.

Like I said, it was possible, it just wasn't viable in Ireland because unbundling hadn't happened yet, and Eircom's position was that it'd happen over it's dead body. So the guy behind Genesis just got ahead of himself, started pushing a product before he knew the true viability; which is why I've made comparisons between Genesis and Smart.

I'm not sure if VDSL was ever accepted as a standard, however countries like South Korea pushed ahead with VDSL and proprietary variants to lift speeds to what you see today. So in truth these bastardised versions of DSL have "revolutionised the world", because countries like South Korea have pushed the rest of the world to play catch-up.

You'll find technical information on VDSL on the DSL Forum website. There's some information on locations it's actually been used on Wikipedia.

adam

Thans for the info Adam.
    dahamsta wrote:
    VDSL involved street cabinet-level unbundling, i.e. the DLS modems (DSLAMS) would go in the Eircom cabinet at the top or end of your road, instead of in the exchange. Less distance means higher speeds, and the closer to the cabinet you were the higher the speeds went, ostensibly up to the claimed 45MB. In reality, the full 45MB was really only achievable in laboratory conditions.

At the time they told me that it wasn't a DSL based product and that they didn't require physical access to Eircom's plant. Presumably that was the marketing dept that told me that then?

Did they actually have any deployable VDSL kit, if so who was fabricating it for them. Had they started seeking type approval for it, this would have been an absolute requirement before it would have been possible to deploy.

How did they intend backhauling from the street cabs or interfacing the kit with the PC's that they were selling (which had no NIC cards, just 56K Modems in them)

So the guy behind Genesis just got ahead of himself, started pushing a product before he knew the true viability; which is why I've made comparisons between Genesis and Smart.

It's possibly a valid comparison but LLU is available now and Smart are using type approved standards based equipment that is actually available for them to do the job.
    The economic viability of what smart are up to is a totally different issue and where the real similarities may lie
    I'm not sure if VDSL was ever accepted as a standard, however countries like South Korea pushed ahead with VDSL and proprietary variants to lift speeds to what you see today.

yes there are standards for VDSL type products now.
    So in truth these bastardised versions of DSL have "revolutionised the world", because countries like South Korea have pushed the rest of the world to play catch-up.

but did genesisEurope.Net do anything to advance this revolution or were they all Hat and no Cattle?

.brendan

bminish wrote:
    At the time they told me that it wasn't a DSL based product and that they didn't require physical access to Eircom's plant. Presumably that was the marketing dept that told me that then?
    I'd say so. It was a very small company, I doubt the person answering the phones had a clue what the product was supposed to be.
    Did they actually have any deployable VDSL kit, if so who was fabricating it for them. Had they started seeking type approval for it, this would have been an absolute requirement before it would have been possible to deploy.

How did they intend backhauling from the street cabs or interfacing the kit with the PC's that they were selling (which had no NIC cards, just 56K Modems in them)
    I don't have any detailed technical information Brendan, these guys were under NDA so I was lucky to get what I did. At a guess, I'd say the PC's were just another badly thought out promotional tool. See my general comments below.
    It's possibly a valid comparison but LLU is available now and Smart are using type approved standards based equipment that is actually available for them to do the job.
    The economic viability of what smart are up to is a totally different issue and where the real similarities may lie
    I agree with you on the technical front, but I'd consider the regulatory environment a big part of the viability issue with Smart, and there's a big parallel there with Genesis.
    but did genesisEurope.Net do anything to advance this revolution or were they all Hat and no Cattle?
    I'd attribute that lovely phrase to the guy in charge rather than the company - small as it was - as a whole. My take on it is that the guy had made a lot of money on comms products, heard about VDSL on the grapevine - or more likely had some snakeoil merchant sell it to him - and jumped in with both feet, with no understanding of the actual technology or the Irish regulatory environment.

My guess is that when he sat down with his technical employees, and more importantly at the regulatory table, it all fell apart quick-smart. I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did tbh, and that wasn't very long...

So no, they didn't advance this revolution one jot. Could they have though, if a suitable regulatory environment had existed, if Ireland hadn't still been in the dark ages? I think they could, and that's why I defended them at the time.

adam

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

As a product its a shame it sounded like a nasty dose in the unmentionables . VFDSL would be nicer. I wouldnt fancy 'explaining' VDSL , even nowadays !

Sponge Bob wrote:
    As a product its a shame it sounded like a nasty dose in the unmentionables .
    In Ireland at the time, that would have been an apt description.

adam

People who think Smart is a pipedream have been listening to Eircom for too long. You can get 24Mbps for €50 in many countries. There's no real reason why the same types of speeds for the same type of money can't be delivered here, particularly in a target limited rollout that maximises existing fibre assets. I somehow don't think contended 2Mbps for an effective €20, or whatever it works out as, is going to break Smart's bank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Rolling out the exchanges will considerably put cracks in their bank though, thanks to the various LLU charges. As well as that expenditure will be the pressures from their investors for a return on investment.

The obstacle to smart is not money, it's time. At the current rate it will be a decade before they'll have those 100,000 customers signed up and gone live.

Advertisement