Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VDSL2 is on its way - 100Mbps up/down to 3.6km

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭tea

damien.m wrote:
    The obstacle to smart is not money, it's time. At the current rate it will be a decade before they'll have those 100,000 customers signed up and gone live.

Back of envelope calculations would lead me to think it would cost about 100k per exchange, or 6M for 60 exchanges, before customers are connected. From what I've read, Smart don't have much more cash than that left*, so I guess its money AND time are the problem.

* They're raised 20M and spend about 10-15M of it already, haven't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Blaster99 wrote:
    People who think Smart is a pipedream have been listening to Eircom for too long. You can get 24Mbps for €50 in many countries. There's no real reason why the same types of speeds for the same type of money can't be delivered here, particularly in a target limited rollout that maximises existing fibre assets. I somehow don't think contended 2Mbps for an effective €20, or whatever it works out as, is going to break Smart's bank.
    The financials of the service have been well thought out I presume. That's not the problem. The problem is back to the LLU charges and farcical process that it is. The process now is so manual and time intensive that it quickly detracts from any profit made on the actual service offering. And then there's the number portability thing which is also delaying customers committing. As far as the service offering goes, you're right: it can be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

so yet again, eircom dragging their heels is screwing everybody.

anything to keep the shareholders happy eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Yes.. but that's hardly eircom's fault .. they're doing what they do. Make no assertions that they have a social/moral obligation.. that's what we need regulation for.

okay, so it's comreg's fault for being crap rather than eircoms fault for robbing poeple blind and holding back progress for the sake of lining their own pockets. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

vibe666 wrote:
    okay, so it's comreg's fault for being crap rather than eircoms fault for robbing poeple blind and holding back progress for the sake of lining their own pockets. :rolleyes:
    It's both their fault vibe. Don't mind cgarvey, he's just being logical. (No seriously, logically and legally he's completely correct. It's just a terrible philosophy to subscribe to via acceptance.)

adam

heah, i know. it just gets on my tits that we're the ones suffering for it while they rake it in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Agree with cgarvey. Eircom have no obligations except to look after the interests of their shareholders.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

vibe666 wrote:

Nope its eircoms fault for robbing people blind, if they hadnt of done that it wouldnt of highlighted comreg's crapness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Blitz wrote:
    Nope its eircoms fault for robbing people blind, if they hadnt of done that it wouldnt of highlighted comreg's crapness
    But they were always going to do that or at least try to. This is why it doesn't make sense to call it Eircom's fault. Eircom are merely a tool for their shareholders. The knife is not blamed for the murder.

Eircom would have you believe otherwise, i.e. that they have taken it upon themselves to provide broadband for everyone.

I think progress will gradually be made when people stop believing Eircom's PR.

• Advertisement
Advertisement