Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motor tax backdated query

Options
  • 21-05-2005 4:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭

I bought a car about 3months ago. There was no tax on it, it was up back in February. I bought it in March.
    I dont have it on the road and didnt tax it immediately, as i had to get it transferred into my name obviously,, and also i was getting a bit of work done to it when i bought it so didnt bother taxing it. Its been in my name now for 2months.

Im going to tax it this week, but will they tax it for the yr, ie, as in till next May. Or will they try backdate it to Feb, or wil they backdate it to when it went into my name, even though it wasnt on the road?

Do i have to get a form off the guards to say it was off the road or how does it all work? help appreciated! ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

My understanding is that you have to get the garda to sign a form stating that the car was off the road for the duration of time and present it to the Motor Tax Office when you are taxing the car. You most probably have to prove to the garda that the car was off the road though.

More than likely you will have to pay the backdated tax from the date you took ownership unless you can prove it was off the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭30-6shooter

howdy.
    how do i prove it was off the road? Just tell them ive no convictions in it or something. It was a private small time mechanic that i got to do the work on it. He lives just beside me. I didnt bother getting service receipts, as hes a friend of me dads and done me a cash deal.

Sure theres no real way of prooving it was off the road unless it was off the road because it was in a crash or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I understand what your saying but I have no idea, maybe you could ring your local garda station and ask them. Or give the Motor Tax Office a ring, they should be able to tell what you need to do. I am sure this happens a few times and they should have a procedure for this.

Also have a look up of http://www.motortax.ie, there may be some info there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

bazz26 wrote:
    You most probably have to prove to the garda that the car was off the road though.

Guard - 'why was the car off the road'
    You - 'gearbox went'

I know of heaps of people who only pay about 3 months of their road tax every year by getting the guards to sign the form - including one girl driving some 800cc yoke that only costs about €100 to tax every year anyway. :rolleyes: Have had the form signed twice myself, no questions first time, second time I just produced a photo of the car minus its quarter panel.

My dads mate used to sign the forms in return for a pint - they're not too strict on signing the forms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭30-6shooter

Hi,
    Do i get the form in the motor tax office or in the guarda station or do i get the form in the barracks.
    Is that "off the road" form or whatever its called downlaodable do ye happen to know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Dont panic, as you are the new owner you will not have to pay an back tax , except from the start of the month you bought it in. i.e from 1st of Feb for you. You are not liable for any previously outstanding motor tax.

By the way if a car is caught on the road without tax after more than 3 months has passed the Gardai can take possession of it.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

mike65 wrote:
    By the way if a car is caught on the road without tax after more than 3 months has passed the Gardai can take possession of it.

And feed it to the crusher.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Johnnyraz

The form you need is called RF100A. You can get this from the motor tax office or download it from www.motortax.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

I doubt if a Grada will back date a form. I think you have to go in first and say this car is going to be off the road. In any case, you'll only be liable for back tax from the month you signed the car into your own name.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭crazymonkey

BrianD wrote:
    In any case, you'll only be liable for back tax from the month you signed the car into your own name.

Not if it wasn't used in a public place,only liable for tax from when it was insured.

Anyway the garda dont care less about stamping the form as long as your taxing it they couldn't give a s#*t

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,400 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

mike65 wrote:
    you will not have to pay an back tax , except from the start of the month you bought it in. i.e from 1st of Feb for you. You are not liable for any previously outstanding motor tax.

Mike.

Exactly. The Gardai usually won't go that far unless you're a scrote :)

Advertisement