Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended Vidio Card

Options
  • 21-05-2005 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

I’m thinking about upgrading my video card as I’m investing in a 19-20" TFT LCD monitor and would like some recommended cards with 2xDVI, 256M.

Can anybody point me in the general direction or give advice? Any reviews would be very welcome.

ATM I have a Dell XPS. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭pauln

This is what I'm running at the minute, 2x DVI and comes with VGA adapters. It's PCI express, don't know if your XPS is but would imagine it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

broadband wrote:
    I’m thinking about upgrading my video card as I’m investing in a 19-20" TFT LCD monitor and would like some recommended cards with 2xDVI, 256M.

Can anybody point me in the general direction or give advice? Any reviews would be very welcome.

ATM I have a Dell XPS. :D

I really need to know what your going to be using the card for before i could recommend one, how much are you prepared to spend? what Gfx card have you got at the min?

AGP/PCI-E ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭padraigf

if its an XPS im pretty sure itd be PCIE ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭airetam_storm

Dell's with decent future-proofing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭padraigf

Yes, especially in an XPS system

Dell have been first to get all the goodies lately from intel and ati. They're generally first to market with anything fancy because of their purchasing power.

eg. Pentium 4 EE 840 and ATI X850XT

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭airetam_storm

padraigf wrote:
    Yes, especially in an XPS system
    eg. Pentium 4 EE 840 and ATI X850XT
    =€2000+?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

What is with the "investing" in a monitor. A monitor isn't an investment in any normal sense of the word...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=309988&cks=PRL €515

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=305563&cks=PRL €422

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=305772&cks=PRL €345

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=306714&cks=PRL €200

Theres a few different cards with Dual DVI, Theyre all the best in their price range, except for the 6800gt which isnt any better than the X800xl except at opengl.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

This is what I'm running at the minute, 2x DVI and comes with VGA adapters. It's PCI express, don't know if your XPS is but would imagine it is.
    how come the 6600gt has a core clock of 540mhz and the 6800gt is only 350? That a mistake?

They use completely different chips, so the clock speed isnt too important. Probably not a mistake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

Yep that is not unusual at all. Mid range cards of a generation of cards often run at higher clocks, but that is simply because more powerful chips can do more at lower clockspeed. For example my 9600XT runs at 500MHz whereas my 9800Pro only runs at 340MHz but the 9800 is still much more powerful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

That clock-speed is the be-all and end-all of chip speed measurement is a common halucination. A given core A running at Xhz is likely to be faster than the SAME core running at Yhz where X > Y. Throw core B into it, tho, and things change. An AMD Athlon64 4000+, which runs at 2.4 or 2.6GHz, can't remember which, generally outperforms a 3.6GHz P4, and will ALWAYS outperform a 2.6GHz P4 for normal tasks. And these are two 386 chips produced to compete directly with each other. The gap can be far, far greater.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 broadband

thanks guys

ill have to find out of dell what card i can run because i have a gen 3 XPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

can you not check in the BIOS

Could you not just pop off the side panel and look to see is it an AGP slot or a PCI-E ?

yeah the XPS is mad easy to open

• Registered Users Posts: 43 broadband

thanks all

i got a X800XT PCI-E card off Jammer on boards for 250.

cool, enjoy

Advertisement