Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Free wireless networks Connected but no internet!

• 21-05-2005 9:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭

Any Idea,s on this- Got a new laptop with built in wireless nw. When I connect to a wireless network It show up connected & signal good but when I try to connect to the internet I get asked to connect via dial up.. I have connections set to" dial whenever a network connection is not present"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

When you say "try to connect to the internet", what do you mean?

If you think the wireless network should automatically setup your internet connection then try this (assuming you're using windows); hit start, hit run, type in "cmd" (no commas), in the black screen type "ping boards.ie" (no commas), if you get something like "Reply from 82.195.136.36: bytes=32 time=41ms TTL=56" you're connected to the internet. If you get "Request timed out", you're not.

If you get the first type of reply then your internet connection is fine and it's simply a browser problem, otherwise you're simply not connected :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭formatman

I take you are refering to open access wifi points ( legal or illegal)

you are seeing wireless routers ..that may be part of a network that doesn't have internet connection

some of the free Eircom ones just don't work or are maxed out with people using them

If you set your brower to discover proxies automatically wo have a better chance of finding the gateway on the network

sorry read ur post properly no , set to never dial a connection and then set up a seperate dial up with a shortcut on the desktop ( if you need dial up)

same applies for the proxy setting as posted though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

You may simply not be getting the DNS servers.. stick in the eircom numbers 159.134.237.6 & 159.134.248.17, leave IP as DHCP though... that might work if the router is not giving you the DNS automatically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

lol i h8 these wlan intruders lol i have had to add encryption and a password coz of them :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

formatman wrote:
    I take you are refering to open access wifi points ( legal or illegal)

you are seeing wireless routers ..that may be part of a network that doesn't have internet connection

some of the free Eircom ones just don't work or are maxed out with people using them

If you set your brower to discover proxies automatically wo have a better chance of finding the gateway on the network
    Talking about legal access points ofcourse.. If I set to "never dial a connection" I simply get the option to work offline..
    "If you set your brower to discover proxies automatically wo have a better chance of finding the gateway on the network"
    Where are these settings ,please?

Jakkass wrote:
    lol i h8 these wlan intruders lol i have had to add encryption and a password coz of them :P
    Like I said Legal ones....
    Mind you if people leave wireless networks without encryption then they should expect intruders

right click IE explorer Icon on desktop >properties>connections>LAN settings

Got it sorted thanks for all the suggestions... Seem a lot of these networks are just pot look depending on congestion....

Advertisement