Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do you get your images?

Options
  • 21-05-2005 9:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

Just say you have designed a website or banner ad for a company, for example a hosting company and you have photographic images of servers or laptops nicely fitting into the title page of a website. Where do you normally get these images, what sort of resources do you have to get the photographic images that you need.

Do you Google image search and rob them?

or

Get your digital camera out and take pictures yourself of the stuff you need then tart them up with photoshop?

or

Or is there some website out there with lots of free pictures?

When I am designing a site, i often would like to add some high quality
    photographic image and make it look a bit more professional, but don't where to look to get them.

How have most of you webmasters improved your graphics, images skills?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Have a look for "stock photos" on google.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Or for an example of bizarre stock photo abuse: http://www.functionx.com/vjsharp/

Use with care, or preferably, don't use at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

what i'd usually do is google the images and place the pictures into the design so i know where it is going and then once i'm happy with the design ill go searching for stock photos theres a billion and 1 of em on the net

hope that helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 chilled

Cheers everyone

Never heard of "stock photos" before.

I will use them with care alright (flexible woman beside visual j# can't see much of a connection there)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

http://www.sxc.hu/ is a very decent site. Ive used them a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Winters wrote:
    http://www.sxc.hu/ is a very decent site. Ive used them a lot.
    Hmm free stock photos excellent.
    I've always been put off stock images in general because of the ludicrus prices... like $500 for a picture of some stupid smiling twat.
    Are these completely royalty free, and can be used for any purposes? or are there terms of use? :confused:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Are these completely royalty free, and can be used for any purposes? or are there terms of use? :confused:
    from their homepage...
    Share your photos with fellow designers! SXC is a friendly community of photography addicts who generously offer their works to the public free of charge. If you have some nice photos that you'd like to share with others, join us!

from their terms of use page...
    1.) By uploading any images to this site you are automatically assumed to grant license for the use of said images to any and all visitors to this website with the restrictions you specify at each photo.

3.) You may not now, or at any time in the future, demand money or income from Stock.XCHNG or its owners or proprietors or those using images found on this site for the use of said images.

et. etc.

Advertisement