Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband availability

• 21-05-2005 11:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭

Im in between the area of ballyhaunis and ballinlough ( yet no broadband apart from a wireless thing from lastmile.ie but you need to be in view of the two bases located in each town )

But i was just wondering from using the trigger program on eircom even though im only 3 miles from ballyhaunis and slightly nearer to there than ballinlough will I have wait untill ballinlough get broadband as when i enter my telephone number Ballinlough comes up as my area....? And there not even listed in the trigger program yet!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

if your number comes up as Ballinlough then you are on that exchange and theres not much you can do if that exchange is not on the trigger progam...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

lastmile are adding new bases soon. check the site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Are you sure you need line of sight? With a more powerful aerial it may work. The key is the frequency they're using, if they have a licensed frequency, better/more powerful equipment could give you a connection anyway, if they're on 2.4 GHz, you're probably screwed....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Ive tried emailing the lastmile crowd a few times now and ive only got one reply ever from them.

If anyone knows any more info about the line of sight thing the info would be great on it. But im almost sure you need to be able to see one of the bases either in ballinlough or ballyhaunis and unluckily for me im stuck in the middle of the two and I cant see either but can see the ballinlough one from the back of the house about 30 meters from where the house actually is situated....

And knowing eircom it seems broadband wont be in my area for some time especially if its not even listed in that crappy trigger program.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

theyre not on 2.4, theyre 3.5, they have pretty much most of the midlands covered. I know 2 people who got it last month. But DSL came to town this week, so theyre well-pissed! The QOS is bad, pings are very bad, its very expensive even when compared to eircoms 1024/128k offering. (lastmile are 512/128 for something like €60 pm, with a €250 setup cost, 2 megs is €200 pm)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Sorry im dont know to much about the technical side of things but because its 3.5 does that mean theres a chance i could still get a signal?

The pricing for residential 512/128 is 33 eurp p/m and 247 euro connection fee.

What is the QOS etc?

Would the service be capable for online gaming and downloading films etc?

Also since my area isnt even listed on the trigger program how long do you reckon it will be untill eircom roll out bb in the area?

Advertisement