Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is This Mobo for me??

Options
  • 22-05-2005 2:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭

Just looking at new asus mobos, came accross this
    http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=9&l2=39&l3=174&model=456&modelmenu=1

I think it wuold be a great upgrade for me, PCI-E and nforce 4 chipset + dual cpu

A few qusetions if anyone is a bit more experienced with dual cpu systems. Can i phase change one cpu and just aircool the 2nd?? and have them running at different speeds? I noticed that the vcores for each cpu are independant but the cpu freq speed doesnt seem to be.

il have to find out does it support the FX though, it just says opteron. This board would be perfect though as it supports vcore upto 1.9V while my SK8V only goes to 1.75 which is stopping me getting to the 3ghz with this chip. also tecnically supports 24gigs of ram, lol.

Hmmm... it may be another good project to work on. what you guys think??Worth it??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

You will have to have the CPU's working at the same clock frequency.
    It will be socket 940 so will only support a socket 940 FX also you could not run 2 FX together.
    If it was me I would just wait on the Athlon 64 x2 as it will work out cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

it depends on what you plan doing with it really.

youll be spending a lot of money on FX CPU's for a start.

Unless you REALLY need it now, wait for dual core 64's and get your mits on a S939 board. In any dual system, the speeds have to be synced. You can mix processors, but the system will run the faster CPU at the lower speed. Of course, you can overclock the pair, but the same settings will be applied to each CPU.

Of course you could then try to get a dual S939 board and have effectively 4 CPU's ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

why cant you run to FX cpus on a dual socket mobo?? It wouldnt cost me too much as i have one socket 940 FX cpu.

I was looking for a dual 939 mobo but i couldnt find 1, i dont think they exist, is there 1????

if they both have to run at the same speed then id have to phasechange cool the both of them, lol

So would this mobo be able to run 2 x dual core cpus?? so have 4 physical cores??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭padraigf

I highly doubt theres such thing as a dual 939 mobo.

You cant run dual FX chips on any dual mobo because the FXs just cant be run in a dual configuration. They arent compatible with it at all.

Yeah, if you got 2 dual core opterons you could have 4 physical cores.

You also can't mix and match different processors in a multi-proc system, AT ALL. Must be identical.

You also can't mix and match different processors in a multi-proc system, AT ALL. Must be identical.

Maybe with some board and chipset configs. But certainly any LX, BX, Sct A and Xeon gear I have used over the years I have been able to mix chips with no probs. Although with Athlons it helps if you mod them to MP rather than running them in single config.

Im not aware of any dual S939 board ATM, but give it time and im sure they will turn up.

• Advertisement

i may just have to go for 2 x dual core opterons. They are supposed to be savage.

i didnt know you cant run 2 fx's together, that suks :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

You're either a dreamer or a fool.
    Or perhaps you have about 7 grand just sitting idle somewhere...

SyxPak wrote:
    You're either a dreamer or a fool.
    Or perhaps you have about 7 grand just sitting idle somewhere...

im a bit of both, but 7 grand is a massive exageration, i have most the parts, id just need that mobo and 2 opterons , well and another phasechange unit, which i should be getting really soon

your a crazy mofo. Keep us posted :)

no problemo ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement