Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars Rebel Assault 2

Options
  • 22-05-2005 10:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone remember this game?

I absolutely loved it. The most "on rails" game ever, but it was brilliant. Those live action cut scenes were absolutely fantastic!

Shame that they weren't part of a different proper non-on rails game, that would have been truly great. I'd say the cut scenes cost more then the game, they looked like a real Star Wars movie!

Anyway, I lent it to a friend and surprise surprise he broke it.

Anyone know where one could obtain a new copy?

I'd love to play this again, even if only for the cut scenes.....like watching a movie :p

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Ah, I loved that game. Flying the Millenium Falcon down the tunnel rocked.

If the game has been abanboned, check out of abadonware sites ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

If the game has been abanboned, check out of abadonware sites

Its possible, but it wouldnt be hosted - unlike other old games, its 2 CD's which are pretty much filled up to the brim - with all the live action movie scenes!

So for that reason, you wouldn't find it on abandonware.....its about 1gig large altogether or more

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Hmmm. Perhaps there are other, less reputable avenues to look into ;)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00000K510/002-3844026-4576859?v=glance

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

if you ahve a playstation it was rereleased on the psone...i dont know how it compares quality wise...but for compatability and avaliability its easier choice.

On the cutscene discussion, i think Jedi Knight 1 has much better cut scenes. The opening is great and the twists and turns are great.
    the moment where you meet your father's killer is great and YOU make the choice is classic gaming moment

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,400 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

always hated the rebel assault games. they may have been star wars but were as dull as ditch water. Number 2 was only slightly better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Steven

Agreed. The X-Wing/Tie fighter series was much more enjoyable. It's a pity that the market for this genre appears to have dried up. The last one I remember, that had reasonable sales success, was Freespace 2. Now there was a fantastic space sim.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Man, no way, had it and the first one and they stank like yesterdays socks. The Dark Forces game on the PC was much better, as was the opening level of Shadows of the Empire on the N64, surely every Star Wars fan was bowled over by that when they first saw it. But Rebel Assault II, nope.
    Best Star Wars game of the lot was X-Wing Alliance, huge singleplayer mission mode, really good. Love to see an Xbox sequel, fat chance!

what annoys me is 2 things...

1. I had X-wing alliance. i was given it for free, and i loved it. but i got a new computer and in the process of changing over i lost one of the cds...and i really really really want to play it again.

2. while reading boards am i meant to be doing four assignments for friday and i cant be arsed...everyone go away so you dont distract me...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,400 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Nothing will beat tie fighter and having Darth Vader as your wing man. Dark Forces was excellent. The game was way ahead of it's time. It was doing everything that duke nukem 3D did but about 3 years before it.

my friend had tie fighter, by the time i had it (picked it up in some bizarre special pack which included dark forces, rebel assault 1 and 2 and tie fighter plus the making of special editions) age had taken it effect and it wouldnt work on my pc...:(

• Advertisement

Rebel Assault 2 was not a good game, but the Cut scenes were fantastic!

Thats why I want it again!

I Still have a TIE Fighter CD lying around, that was an awesome game. Theres a fairly decent freeware Star Wars flightsim banging around in the same vein of X-Wing, should get it. They have it at www.gamehippo.com I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Yeah. It was like torture playing some of the levels in Rebel Assault 2. But I just kept going back for more as it looked so great.

That level where you have to fly the TIE fighter through the canyon used to drive me nuts... oh.. and the Speeder Bike section in the jungle... arrrrghhh...

Yeah. It was like torture playing some of the levels in Rebel Assault 2. But I just kept going back for more as it looked so great.

That level where you have to fly the TIE fighter through the canyon used to drive me nuts... oh.. and the Speeder Bike section in the jungle... arrrrghhh...

Ah yes....Admiral Crane was your flight leader and you could be flying great for ages, then one little twitch and you descend into a pit of continous crashing thats hard to stop.

So annoying. The Speeder Bike one I remember as well. Actually, I think I remember all the levels, if not in proper order...

1. Flying the B-Wing against TIES
    2. Shooting Stormtroopers
    3. Flying the Coreilla Star through tunnels
    4. Flying X-Wing in astroid field.
    5. Flying Y-Wing against Tie interceptors.
    6. Flying Tie in Canyon
    6. Speeder Bikes through the Jungle
    6. Shooting stormtroopers in Thermal mode in the Sewer.
    7. Flying through the Docking station in a Tie
    8. Flying around the executor in a TIE

Man that was one hell of a linear game. But it was just so pretty.

And those cut scenes, I cant stop thinking about them! If they'd made a few more cutscenes and forgot about the game, they'd have a rreally decent Star Wars mini Movie!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I just dug it out this evening. It was in suprisingly good condition.

Bit of a bitch to get running on Windows XP and for some reason my TFT monitor refused to display it. I had to get out an old CRT in order to run it.

That opening bit where you get to see everything from the point of view one of those little robots from the Death Star is great. All you see is the feet of imperial officers.. ha..

I just dug it out this evening. It was in suprisingly good condition.

Bit of a bitch to get running on Windows XP and for some reason my TFT monitor refused to display it. I had to get out an old CRT in order to run it.

That opening bit where you get to see everything from the point of view one of those little robots from the Death Star is great. All you see is the feet of imperial officers.. ha..

Ah yes, then it goes into Vaders command center, just before the fancy TIEs destroy the X-wing squadron- muhahahahaha

Man, I have to see those cut scenes again....the acting is the same familiar cheese from the original trilogy and everything! :(

Advertisement