Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Top 5 films ever

• 22-05-2005 2:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭

braveheart has to be included in top 5 of all time greats

what about the other 4:
    last of the mohecians?
    the commitments (dont knock it!)
    The godfather?
    Gladiator (ok so historically a bit silly, but unreal special effects,savage acting, wicked storyline and how bout that speech!)

any other suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

any other suggestions?

I suggest not posting in silly colours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Arrghhh! My eyes :( That's a silly font colour to use

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭ro1798

shawshank redemption has to be in top 5 i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭BraveheartGal

i apologise

its true
    im a rookie
    *hangs head in shame*

definately

• Advertisement

Don't worry about it.

funny...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭samo

funny...

it was :)

definitly a vote for Shawshank though!!!

it was

definitly a vote for Shawshank though!!!

oi! go easy on me!
    yeah shawshank is savage, how bout one flew over the cuckoos nest? and i adore last of the mohecians, isnt flashy, no special effects but such heart!i love danny day lewis

Meh...

I won't say best, because there is no best, but...
    Here's some great films:

Oldboy
    Throne Of Blood
    Hana-bi
    Princess Mononoke
    Gozu

Thoughts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

apocalypse now
    the usual suspects

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

karl hungus, is there such thing as a great film that doesnt come from eastern asia?

5 films i really into right now?

-Aliens (always have always will)
    -Tremors (need i say more?)
    -The Conformist (classic italian film)
    - Oldboy (film of 2004 for me)
    - Tokyo Godfathers (great animated piece)

OOOH and a special mention for both Life and Death of Colonol Blimp and A matter of life and death. Both by the archers...great films.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

Star Wars Films
    Godfather films
    LOTR films
    Falling down
    Stir Crazy
    Pitch black
    PULP FICTION

jeez, so many really really really good films.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭goin'_to_the_PS

1. scarface
    2. scarface
    3. scarface
    4. scarface
    5. scarface

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Definetely disagree on 'Gozu' my fellow mod - thought it was quite poor. Nice choice on 'Princess Monoke' though! It's impossible to pick just five, so five of my favourites (and not my five favourites):

Aliens
    Before Sunset
    LotR series
    Mulholland Drive

Yeah, maybe I was a bit rash in suggesting Gozu in a top five list, but a great film none the less.
    BlitzKrieg wrote:
    karl hungus, is there such thing as a great film that doesnt come from eastern asia?

But of course there is!

So, for your benefit (And anyone else's who share above sentiment), here's five great films not from eastern asia:

Miller's Crossing
    Leon
    The Elephant Man
    Star Trek II - The Wrath of Khan
    The Big Lebowski

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭The General

Braveheart

Karl those are some damn good films...but i havnt seen miller crossing (been trying, the thought of coen brothers doing a gangster film tickles me) But i think star trek 6 is better then 2. 2's good, its just that line in 6 gets me.

*after many shakespere quotes*
    Klingon: We need breathing space
    Kirk: (calmly Hitler, 1939.
    *shocked look from all*

p.s how about your top 5 european films next (granted leon has a french director :D)

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    Karl those are some damn good films...but i havnt seen miller crossing (been trying, the thought of coen brothers doing a gangster film tickles me) But i think star trek 6 is better then 2. 2's good, its just that line in 6 gets me.

*after many shakespere quotes*
    Klingon: We need breathing space
    Kirk: (calmly Hitler, 1939.
    *shocked look from all*

Indeed, Star Trek VI is excellent aswell, and interestingly enough, both films are directed by Nicholas Meyer, who also wrote Star Trek IV, and he's the man I credit for the rule of all even numbered Trek films being good, as those are the ones he was involved with, and it proves correct, seeing as he had nothing to do with Nemesis and despite it being an even numbered film, it stunk to high heaven! I own both films on DVD and watched them many times, but I think Star Trek II just cuts above VI... That scene where Khan attacks the enterprise, oh my! The music, the tension! "We're just one happy fleet." *BAM*

Utter classic.

he also wrote prince of egypt...which i liked, even if no one else did (edit: he partly wrote). So no chance of star trek creators getting him back for 11 or 12? (i know they got some romulan war thing for 11 but it sounds bad)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Meh...

I won't say best, because there is no best, but...
    Here's some great films:

Oldboy
    Throne Of Blood
    Hana-bi
    Princess Mononoke
    Gozu

Thoughts?

I watched Gozu in the cinema with my girlfriend. We both thought it was probably one of the worst films we have ever seen. Sorry if it upsets those who might feel our cinematic taste is lacking, but really in our opinion, it was trash. (hoping we are talking about the same film here)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Shawshank is an entertaining little romp but it's way extremely over rated. It's one of those inoffensive films that appears on the best of lists of people who are just a bit unimaginative or too lazy to think of real classic film. I don't want to belittle people's choices but surely the shawshank redemption belongs in user friendly entertainment catagory with films such as the green mile and, I dunno, the patriot or something. It's just pleasing cinema.

My top 5, and this only my personal list so feel free to berate it at your leisure.

5. The Usual Suspects - I think once you have a brilliant script you have the foundations for a brilliant movie, luckily every other aspect of it delivered as well.

4. The Last Samurai & Gladiator - Ok I'm cheating a bit here but these are two similiar films that I think need to be coupled. Rousing music by Hans Zimmer and just two wildly entertaining movies.

3. Terminator 2 - This was one of the most anticipated movies of all time (when I was 13 anyway) and I just loved it. (I realise that some people may look at Shawshank like this so I better apologise for my earlier comments, but will leave them in....). Super special effects and an all round special movie.

2. Twelve Angry Men - Brilliant script, brilliant performances. Enough said.

1. The Sting - I really enjoyed classic movies like scarface, godfather, goodfellas, serpico etc...but for me this is just cinema perfection. Again, a brilliant script but the slick acting and final pay off makes this one a cut above the rest for me. If you haven't seen this, shame on you....and get your ass out to xtravision and get it for tonight!!

D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Don't worry about it.
    Hisssss

For some reason i always had a soft spot for 'What Dreams May come'... oh and 'Life IS Beautiful'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭ro1798

midnight express

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

European;

I'll give my five favourite french films.

L'Apartment
    Le Haine.
    The 400 blows.
    Time of the Wolf
    Cyrano

Documentaries.

Hoop Dreams
    Capturing the Friedmans
    The revolution will be televised.
    Roger and me
    The fog of war.

Also scarface is sigularly one of the most annoying films of all time. Next poster to defend it gets both barrels of my "why brian de palma is a hack rip off artist and pauline kael's championing of his films is a sign of some kind of frontal lobe anuerism" rant, it's very long and complex, and really not something you want to see.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

ro1798 wrote:
    If you only watch one prison film watch it. But you'd be better off watching the original classics that it was composited from. Great film totally devalued by having lifted far too much from earlier ones, drop those bits and it might still be in the top 5 prison film films maybe.

Rhyme wrote:
    Hisssss

For some reason i always had a soft spot for 'What Dreams May come'... oh and 'Life IS Beautiful'

gggggaaaaayyyyyyyyy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

mycroft - amelie?

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    he also wrote prince of egypt...which i liked, even if no one else did. So no chance of star trek creators getting him back for 11 or 12? (i know they got some romulan war thing for 11 but it sounds bad)

The producers simply don't know what they're doing in fairness, so any chances of them getting Meyer back in to head up some more Trek projects is doubtfull. I seriously doubt there's going to be any decent Trek films anymore, seeing as Nemesis was the lowest grossing of all 10 films, and if there was, I doubt they'd be any good. First Contact was the only good trek film Meyer didn't have a hand in, so I'm putting that down to fluke.
    Memnoch wrote:
    I watched Gozu in the cinema with my girlfriend. We both thought it was probably one of the worst films we have ever seen. Sorry if it upsets those who might feel our cinematic taste is lacking, but really in our opinion, it was trash. (hoping we are talking about the same film here)

No no, probably the same film. There's quite a few people who hated it, so I don't blame you, but I guess the abstract storytelling really struck a chord with me.

• Advertisement

mycroft wrote:
    gggggaaaaayyyyyyyyy
    Burn?

Perhaps not, Sure 'What Dreams May Come' is a creepy arty kinda film and bit weird... i just dont turn it off, and 'Life Is Beautiful' is a good film, a different side to war films.

mycroft - amelie?

Hmmm and might have made it on the list were it not for the fact that the themes and style of the film are being canabalised by the advertising industry at the mo' meteor ripped of the garden gnome for their MMS service and dulex have stolen the style to sell paint.

That and the fact that it's kind of very weirdly racist the area of paris set in the film is densely algerian, but in the film it's entirely populated by traditional parisan characters.

So both these traits have annoyed me enough to knock it out of my top five.

Rhyme wrote:
    Hisssss

Real sorry about that, won't do it again! :)

Rhyme wrote:
    Burn?

Perhaps not, Sure 'What Dreams May Come' is a creepy arty kinda film and bit weird... i just dont turn it off,

It's not creepy is faux intellectual, it's a beautiful film but so middlebrow Paulo Coelho philosophy, bugs me.
    and 'Life Is Beautiful' is a good film, a different side to war films.

And right up there with Jachob the liar, as one of the most dishonest twee films about the holocaust ever.

mycroft wrote:
    It's not creepy is faux intellectual, it's a beautiful film but so middlebrow Paulo Coelho philosophy, bugs me.
    Agreed, nice on the eyes nonetheless
    mycroft wrote:
    And right up there with Jachob the liar, as one of the most dishonest twee films about the holocaust ever.
    true, i guess i like the way the father goes to all lengths to shield his son from the brutality of whats going on around him... nice.

Oh and congrats on post no.2000

Post number 2000? Who cares! 9000 posts baby! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

TOP GUN

SHAWSHANK

BIG LEBOWSKI

PULP FICTION

DEBBIE DOES.....*cough*.....eh I mean THE MATRIX

These are just 5 that I would regulary watch.

But then I never mentioned

DIE HARD

TANGO & CASH (don't laugh! You all like it)

AMERICAN PSYCHO

WAYNES WORLD

So Many.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Some of my favs in no particular order

LotR trilogy
    Starwars original trilogy
    Old Boy
    Akira
    Pulp Fiction
    The Lion King

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Ania

Braveheart has been mentioned very often, which is indeed a very good film.
    Historical films are definitely my favourites.

"American History X" also deserves a special mention.

Ania wrote:

I wanted to see that, but I've not seen the first 9 yet.

I really shouldn't have laughed at that

• Advertisement

fade2black wrote:
    I really shouldn't have laughed at that

Cringeworthy, isn't it? :D

I fully expect to be bashed over the head for that.

You might just have got away with it i think.

Ania wrote:
    Braveheart has been mentioned very often, which is indeed a very good film.
    Historical films are definitely my favourites.

Pile of smelly pants, so obviously directed by a commerical director with it's loving slo mo black and white. And what was the point? Racist learns to stop hating then lil brother murdered in random racist attack?

Also Norton's character isn't an atypical neo nazi, he's bright educated, and has a reason to hate (his racist fathers death in a fire at a crack house)

All of the above means it isn't saying anything about racism and neo nazis of relevance or note. But hey isn't it pretty.

Now romper stomper theres a neo nazi movie.
    TANGO & CASH (don't laugh! You all like it)

Okay.....

You've lost your movie watching rights, somebody hold him down I'll get the eye gouger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Million_Dead

5.Last Action Hero
    4.Spiceworld
    3.Mary Kate and Ashleys trip to hawai (gotta love those sexy olsen twins)
    2.Derailed(jean claude van damme)
    1. Under siege

(Please note this list is only for a laugh, I actually do have a taste in movies but cannot name a top 5 as I like too many)

romper stomper is a great film...that is all i have to say...i guess

if you go out of your way to learn everything about stereotypical american action films then last action hero is actually very good comedy which is what its meant to be...i didnt enjoy it the first time, but neither the second time, but the third time after a year studying film studies had me on the floor in stitches for reasons which require scene by scene anaylises to explian...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Sweetness!

ro1798 wrote:
    midnight express
    This movie definitly deserves to be in the top 5. It was one of the best movies I ever saw no actually it was the Best movie I ever saw it has to be no1 in my top 5. After that I'd probably pick
    LOTR
    One Flew Over The Cookoo's Nest
    Trainspotting
    Pulp Fiction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭goin'_to_the_PS

many good films, would like to see some of the Asian films karl hungus put down they look very interesting

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,889 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

5. Grave of the Fireflies
    4. Withnail and I
    3. Raiders of the lost ark
    2. Das Boot
    1. Leprechaun IV: In Spa... I mean Wings of Honneamise

• Advertisement
Advertisement