Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

I need help with Movie File displays on Windows Media player (and others)

• 22-05-2005 3:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭

Whenever I play a MPEG movie file (or clip) there is a glitch on the left side of the screen, where if an item is close to it, it is displayed twice, and there are loads of lines on top of each other, and it interrupts the picture on the left side of the screen a lot.

Any idea on how to get rid of that? I am using the DIvX codec.

Help!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭MrVestek

It's a long shot but you might want to try updating your graphic's card drivers. Also, try updating to the latest version of DirectX as this handles the playback of audio and video on a Windows OS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭formatman

r u playing a mpeg? or divx file ?

what player are you using ? media player ?divx player? , what is your screen resolution set to ?

formatman wrote:
    r u playing a mpeg? or divx file ?
    Erm... Divx files ARE Mpeg files, DivX and all other codecs like XviD etc are all Mpeg4 codecs.

I meant mpeg2 ( vobs or avi rips)

formatman wrote:
    I meant mpeg2 ( vobs or avi rips)
    *sigh*

vob files are encrypted mpeg2... avi rips are mpeg4.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Well my graphics card is up to date, and I have the latest installment of Direct X.

I play movies on Windows Media Player, DIvX player and VideoLan player and it still happens, and I say it would be the same on every other player. My screen resolution is 1024 X 768.

What do you think is the cause of the problem?

see what happens when you play it at 800x600

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Unfortunately it's still the same :(

Still don't know what the problem is.

Are you using a video out port on your graphics card by any chance? IE: have you got your PC's display on a tv screen too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

try uninstalling the divx codec and installing xvid and see if that helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

in wmp right clik on the file u are playng and go to properties..this will show u the codec used to play the file...sounds like a res or maybe refresh rate issue...xvid could be the answer too...if u have anither way of playing the file ie laptop second pc or divx player then try that and that will cancel out the possibility that it is just an encoding problem on the video file itself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

Achilles wrote:
    *sigh*

vob files are encrypted mpeg2... avi rips are mpeg4.

*sigh*

AVI is a container format - not all AVI's are mpeg4. Nor do all mpeg4 movies use the AVI container.

Neither are all VOBs encrypted.

whats that stupid Sigh all about , look we all have better DVD collection than you so SUUUsh or contribute something to the thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭alancool

corkman slow down dont start installing avariety of codecs and versions of direct x (its difficult to reverse). Here's an obvious question, since the last time you viewed these movie clips have you installed any new apps, viewers or players? If so it might be worth rolling back.
    I'm almost certain from your description that the problem is with your display driver. It may be worth while booting into vga mode and uninstalling the driver. Reboot, let windows install its default muck (2nd reboot), then play your clip.
    ps I wont sigh, i save that habbit for the women in my life :rolleyes:

Advertisement