Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SMS Via GPRS

Options
  • 22-05-2005 3:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭

I'm going away to germany tomorrow, and i'm wondering whats the cheapest way to text home. Would SMS via GPRS work out cheaper than sending a standard SMS (which costs €0.40 per message).

Or would i be better off sending MMS messages. Or would that be rediculously more expensive?

And how would i go about setting up SMS over GPRS, if that is cheaper.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

not too sure about the costs but u can txt from the internet if u/your hotel had access

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

I could, except for the fact i have 5 free texts left this month :p I used up a lot organising the trip to germany, and other such things. I wouldn't expect to have to text much, but i'd still like to know the cheapest way. I know i'll end up having to text the people i'm going with to find out where they are etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Just in case anyone is interested, SMS's cost 39c with 02, regardless of whether SMS via GPRS was selected or not.

However, MMS's cost 10c to send, and free to recieve while in germany! That meant i could send up to 1000 characters for only 10 cents. So, if you are going abroad, definately try and send an MMS or two to check how much they cost you. Using MMS's saved me a bundle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

why is that anyway surely a sms should be cheaper than a mms

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

1huge1 wrote:
    why is that anyway surely a sms should be cheaper than a mms

promotion. the cost of sending 'data' is zero basically. its just there is an infrastructure to pay for.

for example, ur phone is connected to a base station on a subchannel and always on, always transmitting yet nothing is charged for this permanent data transfer if u are ready to go

• Advertisement
Advertisement