Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rangers win the league

• 22-05-2005 4:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭

Wat a way for Celtic to throw the league away! Crazy shenanigans. For those who dont know, Motherwell scored twice in the last two minutes to beat Celtic and hand Rangers the league.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Pity it wasnt on a proper tv channel so everyone could see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

muppets

I knew we would win! I'm so happy.............oh so happy. :D

/waits for pummeling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Nearly as bad as Liverpool in 1989, but at least they were playing the team that won the title, Motherwell didn't even have anything to play for. Shameful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

DELIGHTED!!!!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

typical. :rolleyes: :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Congratulations Rangers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Yeah, fair play to them. They kept playing until the final whistle and has just kept McLeish in a job.

It'll be interesting to see what O'Neill says after this, especially with all the speculation over his future today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

maybe o'neil will go back down south now and get a real job. how anyone goes into a season, with the only question being if your team will finish 1st or 2nd is beyond me.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Scottish football? Meh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

They threw it away. Just advertises how bad that league is. O Neill will leave and the standard of football up there will plummit even further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

have to admit im surprised, and then again, im really not.
    the way the league has gone for the last 2 months, back and forth, it was all to play for.

i really didnt think celtic would lose after beating rangers at ibrox last time out though.
    it really is a case of celtic lost the league rather than ranger winning it, but still, am happy with the win.
    at least it was pretty exciting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭case n basket

LOL, go on Rangers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Exactly scotch football sucks glad to see Rangers win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

Go on da Rangers :D That'll shut the part-time celtic fans up for a while

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

for some reason im not especially surprised....lol
    meh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Looked like things were going to get Ugly for while at Easter Road, with the Rangers Fans Invading the pitch. The Hibs fans were quite restrained although there were a few issues and the Cops had to dispense a few slaps to some. It was quite surprising that there was not a lot of trouble at the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,314 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Just back from Firpark and to say I am totally stunned is the understatement of the year. I hope the players and fans get over this for next weekend at Hampden. This is just a disaster though. This is a classic case of throwing away the league title. I would imagine that the Rangers fans are just as stunned.

As for the whooping of joy displayed here and the comments about part time Celtic fans, well dear God that is some cheek considering this place is the alter to the EPL and the majority of those fans probably have not got closer to a football game than their remote control!

Now to drown my sorrows :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

dceire wrote:
    Go on da Rangers :D That'll shut the part-time celtic fans up for a while
    how could you support rangers :mad: are you irish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭case n basket

That'll do nicely. This sort of thing is also the reason I'd rather see Rangers win the SPL than Celtic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,314 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

That'll do nicely. This sort of thing is also the reason I'd rather see Rangers win the SPL than Celtic.

When you lie with dogs, you catch fleas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

2 league titles in the last 3 years which we have lost on goal difference.

And before anyone says it, if we had the better goal difference we wouldn't have put 10 men in the oppositions box and wouldn't have conceded the 2nd goal. Celtic didn't deserve it though, way to many slip ups this season.

Coming 2nd will make a real difference and I feel a lot worse than I did this time in 2003.

And MON will not go down south. If he is leaving Celtic at the end of the season it will be because of his wife's illness. He might even take a year out but he will not be going to another club any time soon. How can he stay in such a crap league? Well there's on average 12 European matches a season to look forward to. He's also a fan of Celtic and owns 9% of the club.

Now I'm off back out to drown my sorrows. :(
    how could you support rangers are you irish
    Maybe that will open a can of worms but while there are people on here that genuinely support Rangers, plenty like to see them fail for whatever reason.

How an Irishman can choose an anti-Irish club (Rangers fans can't actually decide whether to support Celtic or Ireland on May 29th) over one which carries the Irish flag everywhere they go is beyond me. Its up to you though. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

I can't belive it what happened in the the last 20 minutes? after Johnny went off it was backs to the wall , can you blame Martin? I think you have to, were 1-0 up and all over them, we backed off why?ok we should have scored a couple of goals, but the last 20 minutes we played very defensive and were invited them on to us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Congrats to Rangers.

how could you support rangers :mad: are you irish
    Celtic and Rangers are both from Glasgow, and the last time I checked Glasgow was in Britain.

If you want to support "Irish" football, why not get down to the nearest eircom League game next friday?

You know, it was sad the way the so-called Celtic supporters turned up in Tolka Park on Saturday for the Setanta Cup Final. Taunting an Irish side (Linfield) with the flag of a British club (Celtic). Muppets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

eirebhoy wrote:
    2 league titles in the last 3 years which we have lost on goal difference.

Rangers won by one point this time

..............P W D L F A Pts
    Rangers 38 29 6 3 78 22 93
    Celtic 38 30 2 6 85 35 92

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

seansouth wrote:
    You know, it was sad the way the so-called Celtic supporters turned up in Tolka Park on Saturday for the Setanta Cup Final.

they certainly didn't turn up to cheer the other Irish club involved, Shelbourne. And leave the flags/jersies behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Slag off Celtic all you want but i'm a Celtic fan for 20 years and proud i,ve been too Liverpool and Manchester and a few others but no club comperes to Glasgow Celtic.

For the record, I'm not slagging Celtic, or anything like it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Badabing wrote:
    Slag off Celtic all you want but i'm a Celtic fan for 20 years and proud i,ve been too Liverpool and Manchester and a few others but no club comperes to Glasgow Celtic.

Pats tbh

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    Pats tbh

kdjac
    :eek: :D
    I am, however, slagging Pats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

seansouth wrote:
    :eek: :D
    I am, however, slagging Pats.

When you leave Celtic park with your throat in unbearable pain and a 0-0 on the scoreboard, then you may slag Celtic and moi!

/tekkit bitch :D

kdjac

nlgbbbblth wrote:
    Rangers won by one point this time

..............P W D L F A Pts
    Rangers 38 29 6 3 78 22 93
    Celtic 38 30 2 6 85 35 92
    Yes but as I said, the 2nd goal wouldn't have been conceded if we had a better goal difference than Rangers as every player wouldn't have went up to the Motherwell box to get the winner. Looking at the amount of goals conceded, Rangers deserved the league anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

dam straight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,913 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Well i'm half scots/half irish, and would support aberdeen in the SPL, or more precisely, Queen of the South who are in Division 1, as they're the local team to where i'd be from.

I'd prefer Celtic to win over Rangers, but the way alot of Irish people go on about Celtic makes me cringe, especially with comments like above, its the type of petty-mindedness and secular racism that only a bunch of dullards could posess, and the sooner these people grow up, the better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

sighs

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

mike65 wrote:
    sighs

Mike.

hmmm, a massive contingent of Celtic supporters in Ireland are not scumbags... Good to see the Unionists taking advantage too.. Nice people..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sure, its the fact it happend at all thats depressing - b-grade football in an minor league used as a proxy for warfare.

Cant imagine too many scraps breaking out regarding the FA Cup upset.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

banned for a week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

LOL
    eirebhoy wrote:
    Yes but as I said, the 2nd goal wouldn't have been conceded if we had a better goal difference than Rangers as every player wouldn't have went up to the Motherwell box to get the winner.

but, surely you knew someone would have to respond in the fashion he did... :rolleyes: ;)
    i think given the number of games celtic lost they didn't deserve to win it
    The DUP is blaming Celtic fans for the unrest.
    i see things haven't changed
    i dont know why they even open their mouths.....does anyone think the dup is gonna give an objective account....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

As for the whooping of joy displayed here and the comments about part time Celtic fans, well dear God that is some cheek considering this place is the alter to the EPL and the majority of those fans probably have not got closer to a football game than their remote control!

well said.

Also may i add that you can slag the scottish game as much as you want, but the fact remains atleast that the Scottish people support there own scottish teams and the premier league matches for about 1 lower level club probably takes about as much ppl through the turnstiles as the whole eircom league does all round for that week. Now it may be bad, that is not the point, but atleast we try to improve on things and support our own born and bred clubs in our own country and not cling on helplessly to an ENGLISH premier league club. That is what i find the most pathetic of all.

Eircom league could be better if more of the actual irish people would go watch it, support there own team.. the only way for these clubs to get better is through financial methods and no gate fees = lack of finances.. and who is to blame for that apart from the soccer fans in ireland who refuse to follow there own clubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

my word.
    such bitterness.

they giveth with one hand, and taketh with the other...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭meepmeep

Woooooooooooooooooooo! :D

Nearly had a heart attack in the last few minutes there.

Can't believe it. Celtic only threw it away, but we'll snatch it with both hands.

And Headshot, cop on.......

Woooooo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

I dunno. People getting worked up over very little imo.

sure the real game is on Wednesday night :p

This is back to square one. The most dissapointed I've felt over a Celtic result in years. A couple of days ago I couldn't wait for the rebuilding of the squad but now I couldn't be bothered. Rangers have the upper hand now. They are supposedly signing 5 quality players for next season, they'll be able to attract a better calibre now, they don't have the 2nd round qualifiers to play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭sleepwalker

i think your misunderstanding the argument put forward by people who get irritated at Irish Celtic supporters. its the fact that alot of Celtic fans go around saying there supporting an Irish team when there supporting a Scottish team. The people who are making comments about Irish Celtic fans here fully accept they support English teams and really don't care who people support just once they dont go around claiming to be more Irish because they support a Scottish club.

Anyway hard luck to the Celtic fans must have been gutting but sure not to worry you have a 50/50 chance next season to get it back and im sure youll win the cup anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

MON made a few dodgy signings this year, Carmara & Juinhino (sp?) as well as a coup with Bellamy.

The truth is the Celtic board wont release the cash and give MON the free hand to sign who he wants, Loan deals from English Div 1 clubs and lower premier leauge clubs are not the actions of Champions IMO and certainly lack forward thinking.

At the moment Cash is King in football the sooner the celtic board come to terms with this the better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

i dont support either club. but fair play to rangers. Celtic really did piss it all down the toilet.. good medicine for Celtic i say.

• Advertisement
Advertisement