Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rangers win the league

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Was at the game very disappointed i was standing next to a old celtic supporter who started to cry i just threw my arm around him , was thinking to myself 2003 all over again , celtic WILL NOT win the spl next season MON is getting no money and plus i wouldnt be surprised if he takes a year out of the game to be beside his wifes side. The hardest part of MON whole celtic career is next season he has the task of rebuilding a old squad with no money , his first season he inherited a good squad low morale , i watch from upper jock stein with great antiaption . and wonder if we are ready to hit rock bottom again :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

mike65 wrote:
    sighs

Mike.

Saw on some news report this morning that a Policewoman had a bottle smashed across her face and either 12 or 18 (can't remember, was sleepy at the time) police officers were injured.

Typical reactions tbh.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/1968543.stm
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/Northern_Ireland/Story/0,2763,856190,00.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

i think your misunderstanding the argument put forward by people who get irritated at Irish Celtic supporters. its the fact that alot of Celtic fans go around saying there supporting an Irish team when there supporting a Scottish team. The people who are making comments about Irish Celtic fans here fully accept they support English teams and really don't care who people support just once they dont go around claiming to be more Irish because they support a Scottish club.

Anyway hard luck to the Celtic fans must have been gutting but sure not to worry you have a 50/50 chance next season to get it back and im sure youll win the cup anyway.
    Judge the people who actually know who plays for Celtic and not those who wear the jerseys (ie. half of Ireland). Seansouth got it right by calling them "so-called Celtic supporters".

The amount of people associated with Celtic who have hundreds of millions, some with billions in the bank. You'd think they'd even invest 1-2% of their fortune in the club. The sooner they realise the Old Firm are not going join the premiership any time soon the better.

eirebhoy wrote:
    Judge the people who actually know who plays for Celtic and not those who wear the jerseys (ie. half of Ireland).

Fair point but it is kinda hard to ignore half of Ireland. These people are the reason I don't support Celtic. When I was younger (about 8) and didn't know about the whole Rangers-Celtic divide, I got a Rangers jersey.

Have you ever tried walking around Dublin in a Rangers jersey? It doesn't go down very well.

in fairness i agree with you eirebhoy

but

without the revenue them so call fans bring in by buying all the jersey and merchantise then celtic would be in a far worst postiton then there in now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

It was real hard luck for Celtic yesterday. I saw it on Setanta and could hardly believe it was happening. Celtic were generally the better team than Motherwell but could do little about the first Motherwell goal by McDonald, which came out of the blue really and was more or less unstoppable. Celtic can only blame themselves really for not finishing off the game and making it 2-0. They had the chances to do so but Marshall the Motherwell keeper played above his level. A pity that at the other match Hibs were putting in very little effort towards the end. The contrast between Motherwell and Hibs level of effort was amazing.

Celtic will rue the matches the let slip throughout the season. Rangers also had slip-ups. I think though that a good solution for this and other leagues, I have probably mentioned it before, is when teams in leagues finish very close to eash other, eg: 3 pts, that they should have a play-off. That is a fairer system as well as being more exciting for fans, etc.

Redspider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭meepmeep

redspider wrote:
    Celtic will rue the matches the let slip throughout the season. Rangers also had slip-ups. I think though that a good solution for this and other leagues, I have probably mentioned it before, is when teams in leagues finish very close to eash other, eg: 3 pts, that they should have a play-off. That is a fairer system as well as being more exciting for fans, etc.

Redspider

How is that fairer? So that the team who wins the league, might have a chance to have it taken off them? Hmm I wonder if this would be suggested if Celtic had won by the 2 point gap they had on Sunday morning.

In fairness Redspider I read a lot of your posts and usually agree with what you have to say - but that is nonsense.

meepmeep wrote:
    How is that fairer? So that the team who wins the league, might have a chance to have it taken off them? Hmm I wonder if this would be suggested if Celtic had won by the 2 point gap they had on Sunday morning.

In fairness Redspider I read a lot of your posts and usually agree with what you have to say - but that is nonsense.
    Well a playoff would have been fairer 2 seasons ago when Rangers won the league by 1 goal. Of course it would and nobody can dispute that. But yesterday the players knew they had to win the match and they didn't. The players will have learnt more from this match than they've probably ever learnt from a match before though. Hartson especially, he should have been diving in when the balls were getting drilled in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Congratulations Rangers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

meepmeep wrote:
    How is that fairer? So that the team who wins the league, might have a chance to have it taken off them? Hmm I wonder if this would be suggested if Celtic had won by the 2 point gap they had on Sunday morning. In fairness Redspider I read a lot of your posts and usually agree with what you have to say - but that is nonsense.

The reasoning behind this proposal is that over a single season, 38 games in Engand and Scotland, that small random effects (or lady luck) are not evened out over such a short space of time. For example, a team plays Dundee away in Jan and an away goal is scored yet the linesman incorrectly disallows it for offside. The match is a draw and the team drop two points. A season has many effects. For example, say Rangers play Dundee in Aug and thump them 6-0. Celtic play Dundee in Feb after a Uefa match and only win 1-0. There is unfairness in the system, it doesnt assess teams capabilities accurately.

Pick any example you want, but essentially, if two teams are within three points of each other (in Scotland, England or any other league) they are equally as good as one another. If there is a mere one goal difference, then hey, that is a hair's breadth and you may as well have tossed a coin.

I agree using the play-off method doesnt apply to yesterday as it needs to be put in the rules before the season starts, etc. But to me it makes sense, and there are examples in other sports. eg: in GAA, they play a league semi-finals and finals. In Aussie Rules, they play a top-8. In US NFL, they have play-offs, etc.

The point is that Rangers won the league yesterday, true, but can they really say that they were better than Celtic? Probably not. If they played a head to head play-off and won, then they could.

Redspider

redspider wrote:
    The reasoning behind this proposal is that over a single season, 38 games in Engand and Scotland, that small random effects (or lady luck) are not evened out over such a short space of time.

Unless there are some very suspect officials I would say that such 'random effects' are pretty much evened out over the course of a season.

What if the team that was 3 points ahead in your scenario had been hard done by and should have been 5 points ahead? Surely a play-off isn't going to be fair on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

The fairest way would be to have a raffle for the cup at the begining of the season and forget about the football altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

Hugh Dallas can pick the winning ticket.

Hugh Dallas can pick the winning ticket.

then there would be only 2 tickets with one team

rangers

how could you support rangers :mad: are you irish

HAHAHAHAHA....ahem HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
    sorry ...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    really i don't mean to ..HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH

laugh.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

redspider wrote:
    The reasoning behind this proposal is that over a single season, 38 games in Engand and Scotland, that small random effects (or lady luck) are not evened out over such a short space of time. For example, a team plays Dundee away in Jan and an away goal is scored yet the linesman incorrectly disallows it for offside. The match is a draw and the team drop two points. A season has many effects. For example, say Rangers play Dundee in Aug and thump them 6-0. Celtic play Dundee in Feb after a Uefa match and only win 1-0. There is unfairness in the system, it doesnt assess teams capabilities accurately.

Pick any example you want, but essentially, if two teams are within three points of each other (in Scotland, England or any other league) they are equally as good as one another. If there is a mere one goal difference, then hey, that is a hair's breadth and you may as well have tossed a coin.

I agree using the play-off method doesnt apply to yesterday as it needs to be put in the rules before the season starts, etc. But to me it makes sense, and there are examples in other sports. eg: in GAA, they play a league semi-finals and finals. In Aussie Rules, they play a top-8. In US NFL, they have play-offs, etc.

The point is that Rangers won the league yesterday, true, but can they really say that they were better than Celtic? Probably not. If they played a head to head play-off and won, then they could.

Redspider

who gives a crap?

rangers ended the league with more points and more goals.

that makes them the winners.

honestly, what is it with you people?

there is no way in hell you can make me say that rangers winning by a single goal difference 2 years ago is a basis to have a final play off.
    rangers won then, over an entire season.
    if celtic were better, then surely they would have scored more goals, got more points, and strolled it home?

sorry, and whats this about hibs not trying?

of course, its all a hooooooooge conspiracy against celtic.
    sure didnt you know all the rest of the tems are huns (except for hibs, right?) and are all ganging up to win the league for protestants around the world. oh, and for her majesty (god bless her cotton socks), the queen of england.

get a grip.

its football. it happens over a season, and that is what they are judged on.

so yeah, they can happily say they were better than celtic this season.
    and you know why they can say that?

becuase they wont the league.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

egan007 wrote:
    HAHAHAHAHA....ahem HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
    sorry ...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    really i don't mean to ..HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH

laugh.jpg
    whats so funney about that :mad: :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

In fairness, Celtic aren't an Irish club.

In fairness, Celtic aren't an Irish club.

If they were they'd be playing in either the eircom League, or the Irish league, but the last time I checked they were from Glasgow, and that particular city isn't in Ireland, it's in Britain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,913 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Celtic know at the start of the season that it goes to goal difference, and then if thats equal, then its goals for, so a play off is not fair. Its as ridiculous as the people saying everton should play liverpool for a champions league spot.

• Advertisement

might be an interesting read for some

http://www.galwayguide.net/Celtic/our_history.html

Today, songs sung by the Celtic support, like 'The Fields of Athenrye'[sic] and 'Let the People Sing', are reminders of the roots and the identity of Celtic and its dedicated fans.
    So dedicated that they can't even spell the name of an Irish town correctly :rolleyes:

And...
    In 1887/88, the Irish Catholic community celebrated its roots, heritage and identity by giving birth to Celtic Football Club. In 1967, this immigrant community in Scotland
    Still doesn't make Celtic an Irish club. They were founded in Glasgow, they play in Glasgow and they famously won a European trophy with a team full of Glaswegians, not a team full of "second generation Scots-Irish".

Celtic are Scottish. End Of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

who gives a crap?

rangers ended the league with more points and more goals.

that makes them the winners.

honestly, what is it with you people?

there is no way in hell you can make me say that rangers winning by a single goal difference 2 years ago is a basis to have a final play off.
    rangers won then, over an entire season.
    if celtic were better, then surely they would have scored more goals, got more points, and strolled it home?

sorry, and whats this about hibs not trying?

of course, its all a hooooooooge conspiracy against celtic.
    sure didnt you know all the rest of the tems are huns (except for hibs, right?) and are all ganging up to win the league for protestants around the world. oh, and for her majesty (god bless her cotton socks), the queen of england.

get a grip.

its football. it happens over a season, and that is what they are judged on.

so yeah, they can happily say they were better than celtic this season.
    and you know why they can say that?

becuase they wont the league.....
    First of all, I don't think redspider is a Celtic fan, just giving his opinion.

Regarding the 2003 season. You may be accusing Celtic fans of having blinkers but you have to take yours off there. I'm sure any neutral will tell you that winning the league by a playoff (if you're split on points) is a lot fairer than winning it by 1 goal. Maybe if we were in the year 2050 and had the technology so that the referee would never get a decision wrong it would be probably be fair.

And Hibs didn't try at the end. They knew they would qualify for Europe with a 1-0 defeat and Rangers knew a 1-0 win was good enough for them so they just passed the ball around. Hibs fans are pro-Celtic, the Hibs manager is an ex-Celtic player. I don't blame them for holding out for Europe, fair play to them. You obviously thought redspider was a Celtic fan and was posting a biased remark so you slated him.

TBH, I think you're more ant-Celtic than pro-Rangers.

Celtic will fly the Irish flag proudly around Europe again next season. Up the Celts! :D
    http://www.bostontims.com/seville/14.jpg

eirebhoy wrote:
    First of all, I don't think redspider is a Celtic fan, just giving his opinion.

Celtic will fly the Irish flag proudly around Europe again next season. Up the Celts! :D
    http://www.bostontims.com/seville/14.jpg

up the celtic

celtic were founded by the irish.end of

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

"The fairest way would be to have a raffle for the cup at the begining of the season and forget about the football altogether."

well said Mr. The Muppet

how people can be be so passionate about what is among the worst leagues in european football is beyond me......no wait.....its not, fans of scottish football use religious divides to increase tension and inject passion into a competetion that revolves around only 2 teams.

i honestly reckon peace up in the north would be the worst thing to ever happen to scottish football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

up the celtic

celtic were founded by the irish.end of

So were Boca Juniors, doesn't make them an Irish team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

AC Milan were founded by some English dudes

doesn't make them English

el rabitos wrote:
    how people can be be so passionate about what is among the worst leagues in european football is beyond me......no wait.....its not, fans of scottish football use religious divides to increase tension and inject passion into a competetion that revolves around only 2 teams.
    Nobody other than Real Madrid or Barca will realistically win the la Liga next season. I can't see anyone other than Chelsea, Man U or Arsenal winning the premiership next season. Very few league's are wide open. You say if Celtic don't win the league, Rangers will. I say if Barca don't win theirs next season, Real will. It doesn't make fans of Spanish football less passionate. Just because the other 10 teams in the SPL share the points between themselves, it doesn't make facing them any easier. Times have changed rapidly from a few years ago. Whether that is down to a higher standard throughout or a lower standard in the Old firm I don't know.
    tbf, I don't think anyone in this thread said Celtic are Irish. Does anyone that actually watches Celtic every other week on Setanta/pub or in Celtic Park (ie. Celtic supporters) actually think they are Irish? Not very many, if any at all. I suppose Jackie Mac thinks they're Irish because he's playing Ireland in his testimonial? There's such thing as being proud of the Irish links and being proud to see thousands of Irish flag surround the likes of Seville, Stuttgart or Liverpool. Times are certainly changing though judging by the amount of people that laughed at that fella's post. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Blackjack

and this might also be an interesting read for some.

As regards Hibs not trying, utter rubbish. They knew they had to maintain their Goal difference to qualify for Europe, so they defended. Rangers goal was soft but they had 2 clear chances when they should have scored when hibs were going forward, but didn't. Riordan was played in a midfield for the latter half of the game and was off form anyway.

Celtic lost the league when they should have nailed it a long tme ago.

Great to see Hibs in Europe!.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

eirebhoy wrote:
    Nobody other than Real Madrid or Barca will realistically win the la Liga next season. I can't see anyone other than Chelsea, Man U or Arsenal winning the premiership next season. Very few league's are wide open. You say if Celtic don't win the league, Rangers will. I say if Barca don't win theirs next season, Real will. It doesn't make fans of Spanish football less passionate. Just because the other 10 teams in the SPL share the points between themselves, it doesn't make facing them any easier. Times have changed rapidly from a few years ago. Whether that is down to a higher standard throughout or a lower standard in the Old firm I don't know.

Simply not true of La Liga. Last years winners may not even make the CL ffs! Deportivo the same and they won it fairly recently.

Blackjack wrote:
    and this might also be an interesting read for some.

As regards Hibs not trying, utter rubbish. They knew they had to maintain their Goal difference to qualify for Europe, so they defended. Rangers goal was soft but they had 2 clear chances when they should have scored when hibs were going forward, but didn't. Riordan was played in a midfield for the latter half of the game and was off form anyway.

Celtic lost the league when they should have nailed it a long tme ago.

Great to see Hibs in Europe!.
    Will people lose the bloody paranoia. I think me and redspider are the only people who have mentioned Hibs lack of commitment going forward. redspider probably didn't know Hibs would qualify for UEFA with a 1-0 defeat and I aknowledged Hibs for doing their job.
    Slash/Ed wrote:
    Simply not true of La Liga. Last years winners may not even make the CL ffs! Deportivo the same and they won it fairly recently.
    What I am saying is only 1 of 2 teams will win la Liga next season. It doesn't make the fans of those clubs less passionate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Blackjack

It's not paranoia. I just happen to be a Hibs fan who was at the game.

haha, i cant believe your comparing la liga ( probably the most competitive league in europe) to the scottish league, which to use a word of my granddad is a pi$$pott league.

if ANY team other than rangers or celtic even finished 2nd, nevermind win the thing, people would be genuinely suprised. whereas in la liga there are at least 5 teams that any year can potentially win it. barca, real, betis, valencia, depor for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

eirebhoy wrote:

Regarding the 2003 season. You may be accusing Celtic fans of having blinkers but you have to take yours off there. I'm sure any neutral will tell you that winning the league by a playoff (if you're split on points) is a lot fairer than winning it by 1 goal. Maybe if we were in the year 2050 and had the technology so that the referee would never get a decision wrong it would be probably be fair.

no.

its not about me supporting celtic, or being anti celtic. which im not by the way.im anti celtic supporter, but not anti celtic.

if you have a better goal difference over a season, then you are entitled to win the league.

those are the rules. to start complaining about it now is just very silly and childish.

celtic really should have just scored 2 more goals. thats all it would have taken.
    stop being such sore losers. rangers won a crap league. deal.

eirebhoy wrote:
    What I am saying is only 1 of 2 teams will win la Liga next season. It doesn't make the fans of those clubs less passionate.

That isn't the case though. Plenty of different teams win La Liga and next year it could well all be different, no two years have been the same really, it's not comparable at all to the SPL.

stop being such sore losers. rangers won a crap league. deal.
    Sore losers 2 years after the event? :) Rangers deserved it this season (even on goal difference), can't say the same about 2003 though.

el rabitos - What are you saying? That just because the SPL is of lower standard to la Liga that fans should be less passionate? Or that only 2 teams can win the league so fans should be less passionate? I've answered that already, I'll give someone €100 if anyone other than Barca or Madrid win la Liga next season (barring an Abramovich type scenario). OK, maybe that will change overtime but at the moment only 2 teams can win the league.

The quality of the SPL is much lower than the Spanish league but the quality of the Old Firm is much lower than the top 2 in Spain.

There's actually probably more of a chance of Hearts, Hibs or Aberdeen beating Celtic or Rangers than there is Everton beating Chelsea, Arsenal or Man U.

i dont think celtic are really irish these days its just that they were founded by irish people so i support them

eirebhoy wrote:
    Times are certainly changing though judging by the amount of people that laughed at that fella's post. :)
    they sure are, i taught no one would support Rangers

i taught i never see the day,that irish people supporting Rangers :confused:

as im irish, my support sticks with celtic :)

• Advertisement

eirebhoy wrote:
    I'll give someone €100 if anyone other than Barca or Madrid win la Liga next season

I'll take that.

Look at previous winners

2005 - Barca
    2004 - Valencia
    2003 - Madrid
    2002 - Valencia
    2001 - Madrid
    2000 - Deportivo
    1999 - Barca

Four winners in seven seasons and not one two in a row in that time. SPL it isn't.

Slash/ED wrote:
    Four winners in seven seasons and not one two in a row in that time. SPL it isn't.
    You're trying to prove a different point. He's talking about how someone can get so passionate supporting Celtic or Rangers. Its no different than the Premiership. There's as much chance of Celtic losing against the top teams outside of the Old Firm than there is Chelsea losing to another team. Maybe there wasn't 3 or 4 years ago but those days have gone. There'll be the odd 5-0 win but they won't be a regular occurance.

BTW - You can honestly hound me down for that €100 at the end of next season (you're the only one I'm offering the deal to though :))

eirebhoy wrote:
    BTW - You can honestly hound me down for that €100 at the end of next season (you're the only one I'm offering the deal to though :))

I'll let you away with a full thread in my honour saying how wrong you were :p

I do expect Barca to retain their title, but it's never certain in Spain and anything could happen.

Slash/ED wrote:
    I'll let you away with a full thread in my honour saying how wrong you were :p

I do expect Barca to retain their title, but it's never certain in Spain and anything could happen.
    Well I think it is certain that it will be one of the big 2 unless there's the best part of €100m pumped into the likes of Betis or Villareal. Real will spend big and Barca have already started with the signing of Van B.

Real spending big will only hinder them if they're as idiotic as always. IE they'll buy another striker/big name attacking mid fielder for big money, which wont solve any of their problems at all and will only help upset the strikers they already have.

Van Bommell is an inspired signing by Barca but their defence is not that it could be and he wont necessarily gell with the team. I think if Barca don't win it it wont be Real who top it.

plenty people in the northern part of this country support Rangers.
    Do you not consider them Irish?
    26+6=1 etc

• Advertisement

el rabitos wrote:
    if ANY team other than rangers or celtic even finished 2nd, nevermind win the thing, people would be genuinely suprised. .

Runners up
    1993 Aberdeen
    1994 Aberdeen
    1995 Motherwell

I have no problem with anyone supporting Celtic - I don't care if they were founded by martians. The point is that you should not have a porblem with anyone supporting rangers just because they are a protestant club.

I have no problem with a celtic fan hating a rangers fan as long as they hate them in football. I'm a liverpool fan (not because they too were founded by an Irishman) but i like to see my rivals Utd loose. I don't hate manchester people because they are protestant.

The bigoted notion that i should follow Celtic over Rangers based on sectarian values, hate and prejudice is out dated and most of all stupid. This is one of the reasons why there will never be peace in the north as people just can't make up their own minds and not just follow the mob.

Anyway both are sh!te

um....that was 10 years ago man.

and can u honestly see someone other than rangers or celtic being in the top 2 over the next few seasons at least?

egan007 wrote:
    I have no problem with anyone supporting Celtic - I don't care if they were founded by martians. The point is that you should not have a porblem with anyone supporting rangers just because they are a protestant club.
    Anyone would be an idiot if they hate a club just because they are protestant. Maybe up the north thats the case but its not widespread.

Obviously there is secterianism involved in the Old Firm, more so than most clubs. Maybe people should just be neutral though and not support Rangers just because Celtic fans are those you see most. I mean, Rangers is a club that took a food called "Egg Benedict" off their club menu after Pope Benedict was elected. They are the (much) worse of the two clubs when it comes to that type of thing.

eirebhoy wrote:
    Anyone would be an idiot if they hate a club just because they are protestant.

Well then it would appear that we have many idiots in our country.

• Advertisement
Advertisement