Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Corrupted Outlook Express (.dbx) files

• 22-05-2005 4:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭

Bleurgh, just the thing I need right now :)

Woke up today, flicked on the pc, opened OE 6.. and most of my folders were missing. 'Uhoh'. There's three folders that are fine as far as I can see, out of about 12 seperate ones. I've lost tens of thousands of emails going back years, some of which are important. My last backup was from november :/.

Now, I think I've found out what broke everything. This says that mcafee virusscan has a nice little habbit of corrupting the .dbx files when it feels like it. I'm running mcafee virusscan enterprise 8.0.0. I followed the links to the mcafee site, and got the recovery tool they pointed to (dbxtract), but it isn't really working. I'm loathe to pay a further $25 for the 'upgraded' version when the basic one is so crap.

So, what I'm looking for is something that can repair these .dbx files for Outlook Express 6, so that I can get all my emails back, and then start using thunderbird and making weekly backups so this shít doesn't happen again.

Pints or other suitable payment for anyone that finds something that'll do the job :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭newgrange

DBXtract
    PM me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

I've tried DBXtract already. It didn't appear to work, as it couldn't recover anything from most folders and only grabbed a couple of hundred from the largest one which contained thousands.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 847 ✭✭✭pcwares

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;233264
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/community/columns/filecorruption.mspx
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;283205

what os are u on and how patched are u? Are you on a network/stand alone/do you use peer to peer sharing/steam off Kazaa and the sorts etc..there is a particular set of bogies on that site...

i going to do some testing on this fix first. Unless you know why it would not work.

pcwares

XP SP2, fully up to date patch wise. I'm on a network, but there's no drive shares/active directorys/anything like that. The only p2p I use is bittorrent - and even that rarely.

I've just finished a full scandisk with no reported errors, so I'll give dbxtract another bash now.

• Advertisement

Right, I've run DBXtract again. Same thing is happening. I select a .dbx to extract, point it to a folder that exists, click extract. It runs for about a second, then a popup appears saying 'Extraction Complete'. I go to the folder I pointed it to and theres a folder there for the .dbx I was trying to extract, but the folder is empty.

If I run it on .dbx's that OE is opening fine on it's own, it does extract all the emails in the .dbx. Does this mean what I suspect it means - the other .dbxs are corrupted beyond repair? :/

Advertisement