Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irishboadband Cork Users?

• 22-05-2005 5:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭

Is there any Cork Irishbroadband users here?
    Since Friday afternoon my speeds are 198 both up and down my download speed is about 20kbs, which is shocking! Course the Breeze tech dont work at the weekend! Anyone here having the same problems?Speeds have been very bad for about a week. Also Irishbroadband told me that Cork has the highest number of p2p downloaders.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

im on ripwave at the mo, i was about to upgrade to breeze this week but now im wondering will i.
    i am getting the normal 59kbs download speed still, i i am not finding any probs.

Just a quick question, with breeze there is an aerial on the roof , then they bring a cable down, im wondering if this is noramaly brought through the attic or do they come in through the wall?
    and the cable they bring in is it simple a ethernet cable or is there a modem of some sort?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

It all depends on weather you want it through the attic and if they are able to bring it in that way. The cable from the aerial is an ethernet cable that connects into a PoE box inside and then on through another ethernet cable into you pc/router/whatever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

thanks, i was wondering whether they used a PoE box or go straight to a router.

ps im think of setting up a wirless network aswell and wondering if there will be any interferance with it? i know its differnt wavelenghts but my knowledge on wireless is limited

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 232 ✭✭fisab

I am just about to sign up for IBB in Cork (hoping to access the new Spur Hill 360deg transmitter thats supposed to go live in the next 2 weeks).
    I'm not too concerned about variable upload/download speeds, but can anyone advise me on the consistency of the latency (ping rates) ?

Many thanks,

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

brav wrote:
    thanks, i was wondering whether they used a PoE box or go straight to a router.

ps im think of setting up a wirless network aswell and wondering if there will be any interferance with it? i know its differnt wavelenghts but my knowledge on wireless is limited

I don't see any problem with setting up a wireless network. Its much like a regular ethernet connection. Just put your ip information in the wireless router and its fairly straight forward from then on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

To bo fair my pings have always been good. my speed is another issue
    fisab wrote:
    I am just about to sign up for IBB in Cork (hoping to access the new Spur Hill 360deg transmitter thats supposed to go live in the next 2 weeks).
    I'm not too concerned about variable upload/download speeds, but can anyone advise me on the consistency of the latency (ping rates) ?

Many thanks,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

fisab wrote:
    where is spur hill exactly, and what areas will it hopefully cover ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

There is also a mast at the churchfield site which i am on. Still no sign of it being upgraded to 2mb up/down.

Speeds are perfect along with pings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

yes, yes, not sure, yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭paulhardman

I presume it's going to give coverage to the West of the city,

How far west? Specifically, do you think it would reach just past Ballincollig, but not quite as far as Ovens?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

the land from bishopstown out to ballincollig is very flat, and so a mast on spur hill is likely to viewable by you, have a look and see if you can see the existing RTE mast ( tall narrow spike basically )

At least someone speed is ok mine is shocking between 200 and 400 up and down, they have the cheek to say to me they cant do anymore if it doesnt change then they can do no more. ONto the cork office tomorrow i say and voice my anger GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
    daveirl wrote:

At least someone speed is ok mine is shocking between 200 and 400 up and down, they have the cheek to say to me they cant do anymore if it doesnt change then they can do no more. ONto the cork office tomorrow i say and voice my anger GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Is that 200-400kb/s during peak hours or offpeak hours?
    I wonder is the contention rate of 48:1 kicking in there (or 20:1 at 2M).
    Does it ever drop below 128k?

All day and all night my max download speed is about 30kbs average about 20kbs my upload speed isent much better.

All day and all night my max download speed is about 30kbs average about 20kbs my upload speed isent much better.

Thats a crazy speed regardless of the time of day!!! - totally unacceptable.
    I wouldnt mind being ramped down towards 128k during peak times since I did apply for a 48:1 contention, but a good switch should keep you in the 100's unless there is some severe mass downloading going on.
    I bet I'll regret not going for Nova - I've a feeling its a better service - lower contention and backhauling directly into the Cork MAN.
    The difference of E175 over the first year on the 1M package was just too much.
    I suppose if I fail the LOS test then I'll be contacting Nova again.
    Let us know how you get on with IBB support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭rom

did a test from beside colaiste choilm in ballincollig.

i.e directly beside. between westpark and there.

failed poorly

they IBB guys said there are getting mostly fails and i was the first Ballincollig test

it went live last tuesday. i am getting adsl instead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

Hi guys,

A few questions for those in Cork City with IBB Breeze. I'm in Collins Barrack on the Old Youghal Road and looking at getting IBB Breeze. This is because I apparently am not able to get Metro despite being 400 meters from the Cork site.

Anyway

1. What site are IBB using for Breeze in my area? If anyone is on this site can they tell me what their service is like?

2. Is there a considerable difference between the 1MB and 2MB service?? I have heard that the 2MB service is identical except for a lower contention ratio?

3. Is anyone gaming on the this service, especially the 1MB service and if so how do they find the service?

Cheers,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

No difference between two meg and 1 meg services qualitywise (and in a lot of cases, speedwise).

Pings, dodgy at the best of times. Frequent double digit packetloss is also to be expected. I gave up playing counterstrike a good while ago mostly because i could no longer get a stable ping off my IBB connection.

• Advertisement
Advertisement