Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iRiver h140

• 22-05-2005 6:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭

got one of these around christmas time and i'm loving it, although there is one thing that kind of annoys me.

i like to name the file name of my songs like this

Weezer - Pinkerton - 06 - The Good Life (just picked it as i was listening to it).

now when it comes up in the iriver folder menu it has to scroll across for ages before i know the track for example

weezer - pinkerton -
    eezer - pinkerton - 0
    ezer - pinkerton - 03

if you get the idea?

i have to wait a good 3 or 4 seconds before i know which song it is.
    is there any way to edit this so that if it's on my iriver as this

root/mp3/weezer/pinkerton/Weezer - Pinkerton - 06 - The Good Life.mp3

to read like this

root/mp3/weezer/pinkerton/The Good Life

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Menu/Control/Scroll Type/Vertical

Try that!

It should then read like

Weezer - Pin
    kerton - 06 -
    The Good Life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

if you have them named like that then why not use the database function, then you could browse it easier(need id3 tags done though)

ok, if your actually looking to sort files into folders etc by name, use this.

Copy a few mp3s to a new folder and mess around with the different options to figure out the way you want it and so you don't mess up your whole collection:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

all the id3 tags are done, but the problem is i never got use to using the database feature i will try it once my brother returns home with it.

also on another unrelated topic but with the same player, i'd like to use it in the car - a golf 04 mark V - but the problem is there is no tape deck to use one of them tape thingys that connect to the headphone socket is there any alternatives?

What is there instead of a tape deck? If you have a CD player with a cd changer AUX in connection at the back, your sorted. If you don't know what to do with that, I'll gladly swap for my tape deck player. Or else you could just ask:)

I don't use the DB function, it's much better just to organise your folders well. I would have it like:

Root/Albums/G-M/Leonard Cohen/1968-Songs of Leonard Cohen/01 - Suzanne

I then have Suzanne tagged with:
    Title: 01 - Suzanne
    Artist: Leonard Cohen
    Album: 1968-Songs of Leonard Cohen

and nothing else on the tag, keep it clean and not too complicated. Work the tags from the filenames and the filenames from the tag if need be.

As long as you have all your files named and tagged this way you will have no problems. I'm pretty sure after trying many different ways, that this is the best and most sensible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

that's the way i have mine done too - nice choice of song there cormie ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

cormie wrote:
    What is there instead of a tape deck? If you have a CD player with a cd changer AUX in connection at the back, your sorted. If you don't know what to do with that, I'll gladly swap for my tape deck player. Or else you could just ask:)

I don't use the DB function, it's much better just to organise your folders well. I would have it like:

Root/Albums/G-M/Leonard Cohen/1968-Songs of Leonard Cohen/01 - Suzanne

and nothing else on the tag, keep it clean and not too complicated. Work the tags from the filenames and the filenames from the tag if need be.

As long as you have all your files named and tagged this way you will have no problems. I'm pretty sure after trying many different ways, that this is the best and most sensible.
    that's a good way and i can see how it would work but i ain't fancying retagging and renaming 3000 files

cormie wrote:
    ok, if your actually looking to sort files into folders etc by name, use this.

Copy a few mp3s to a new folder and mess around with the different options to figure out the way you want it and so you don't mess up your whole collection:)

Use that link in the quote to get tagscanner and it will do it for you. Just mess around for a bit until you get the way you want it.

There is also an option that will make folders from the tags. So once you have one way sorted it will sort the other pretty easy. Work from the tag or else the path+filename. It will take a few mins to figure it out but once you do you just click generate (be sure your happy with it) and it will do all 3,000 songs for you the way you choose:)

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

cormie wrote:

Off topic but great track ;)

2 comments on Suzanne, tis a great one indeed:) nice to see some variation in your music taste.. From Felix to Cohen ;) Felix kicked ass at Oxegen Last year:) I Hope for the day I get to see LC live :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

cormie wrote:
    2 comments on Suzanne, tis a great one indeed:) nice to see some variation in your music taste.. From Felix to Cohen ;) Felix kicked ass at Oxegen Last year:) I Hope for the day I get to see LC live :rolleyes:

Thats what I have always loved about music, a good variety. I have my mother to thank for me loving Leonard Cohens music. And several others from way back. Dance etc I found myself :D So Long Marianne is one of my favourites from Leonard C. I actually think I have a serious problem with music, cant walk past a HMV or any music shop without going in just to look :rolleyes: End up trying to narrow down from 10 maybes to 2 for sures.

Only heard Felix back in the Temple of Sound (I think) in the mid nineties DJing. And yes, it would be great to see LC live ;)

Advertisement