Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Definitive Guide to Indicating on Roundabouts

Options
  • 22-05-2005 6:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭

Howdy all,

95% of drivers either don't indicate at all or indicate incorrectly on roundabouts in this bloody country.

Here is a summary of the correct procedure(in my own words):

1) Going straight through
    Approach in the left lane. Once on the roundabout keep as far to the left as is safely possible. Indicate left after first exit. Continue indicating til off the roundabout.

2) Going left
    Approach in the left lane whilst Indicating left.Continue indicating til off the roundabout.

3) Going right
    Approach in the right lane whilst Indicating right.Once on the roundabout keep as far to the right as is safely possible. Continue indicating right until just after the exit before your exit then switch the indicator to the left indicator. Continue indicating til off the roundabout.

Many Thanks

Fredser :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Ah yes, just what we need, another roundabout thread :) Is "definitive" more definitive than "ultimate", or what?

Hint: see http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=256521

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Fredser

Sorry Alun ... am new to this forgive me......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Banjo013

Perfectly accurate there .... somehow or other I won't expect to get into the car tomorrow morning though and observe perfect roundabout behaviour all over the city - not while there are people out there who make up the rules of the road as they butcher along anyway.

Incidentally ever had the pleasure of watching an American driver trying to negotiate a roundabout for the first time ? It's priceless (but lethal) entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

American drivers are, in my opinion, much more willing to give the right of way to someone else. There were five roundabouts built in honalulu recently, and people on the roundabout keep trying to be nice by slowing or stopping to give the right of way to someone waiting to enter the roundabout. Talk about headwrecking :)

The good news is that I get to take the right of way everywhere i go ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭jlang

Roundabouts are a new beast in some parts of the States - they had rotary junctions where the right of way is exactly the opposite, the guy on the roundabout had to yield. This is state specific, I believe, but the older junctions are being phased out in favour of our style roundabouts. The original ones were built in a different time with different traffic levels, often in rural areas, and didn't require the flared approaches and exits that roundabouts have. The traffic on the straight through road could continue without interruption and almost without deflection, or something like that.

But I digress from the indication on roundabouts topic title.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

Am in ot mistaken when i say that the Rules of the road book state: That if you are going straight through a Roundabout, you approach in the right hand lane and then indicate to turn left after passing the first exit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

http://www.iol.ie/~pt/pics/round02.gif

"Stay in the left hand lane, but do not indicate "left" until you have passed the first exit. Where conditions dictate otherwise, you may follow the course shown by the broken line."

theres the officail version as opposed to the ultimate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭KlodaX

Gkelly2002 wrote:
    Am in ot mistaken when i say that the Rules of the road book state: That if you are going straight through a Roundabout, you approach in the right hand lane and then indicate to turn left after passing the first exit

You are right. This totally confused me when doing my driving test 2 years ago. My driver instructor said if it over half way go into right lane if its under half way around go into left lane. If it is exactly straight through you can choose!

This I think is mental.... I generally pick the empty lane if its straight through!!! ... of course whilst indicating as normal :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Chalk wrote:

"Stay in the left hand lane, but do not indicate "left" until you have passed the first exit. Where conditions dictate otherwise, you may follow the course shown by the broken line."

theres the officail version as opposed to the ultimate

Yes, because the persons in the left lane must, go left at the first exit, or go straight along side you.

But in reality, you'll always get some dope in the left lane, who will ultimatly want to go right, I swear, I have seen it happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Isn't it about time that the Government gave the green light for an add campaign telling people what to do ?

There are a lot of folk still out there driving who've never done a test and wouldn't know the right way around a single lane roundabout let alone a double lane one.........with traffic lights...........and where the lanes suddenly become three lanes..........and then back to two again ! ! !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Chalk wrote:

Can you give us the full page?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

What's the deal with those crap mini roundabouts? What are the signals used on them? I use one all the time on Iona Road while turning right on it. Surely I have right of way against the car coming towards me as I will be on his right when I am on the roundabout? But it's so small that most people still just treat it as a normal road, hence you need to brake and wait and most drivers just plough straight through.
    On the other extreme, on another mini roundabout in the same area I once saw a women treat it exactly like a real roundabout, only problem is she needed to three point turn to get around it withought touching the circular mound/marker.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

FX Meister wrote:
    What's the deal with those crap mini roundabouts?

There's one of these things at the end of the road I live on. This one's looks just like a huge blob of white paint in the middle of the road. Same problem there. People sailing straight through as if it doesn't exist. Having said that, most people in the area are well aware of it and when giving way they usually slow down or stop well back from the junction. Then there are the people who park on the road there "cos there's loads of room" :confused:

Advertisement