Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bringing a gun to Ireland

Options
  • 22-05-2005 8:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Would an AR15 (a .22rf conversion) get an OK from the Gardai if I wanted to bring it over to do some shooting?

I'm thinking it would not for obvious reasons…

Jimbo

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Stix

A what ?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,420 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I think it needs to be pretty much bolt action as opposed to semi-auto, but will defer to the experts.

Anyway semi-auto is so unsportsmanlike. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Away Team

Stix wrote:
    A what ?

DSC00105.jpg

This… :)

Jimbo

Victor wrote:
    Anyway semi-auto is so unsportsmanlike. :D

A 'bolt action' AR15! …noooooooooo! :eek:

Jimbo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

.22lr semi autos are no problem here, though you could expect some funny looks at first by whoever inspected it at the airport.

You're aware of the process of getting a non-resident firearms cert?

• Advertisement

civdef wrote:
    .22lr semi autos are no problem here, though you could expect some funny looks at first by whoever inspected it at the airport.

You're aware of the process of getting a non-resident firearms cert?

… perhaps it might be best not to bring it them.

No, I'm not up to speed on getting a non-resident permit, any advice would be much appreciated.

Jimbo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

I'd say bring it anyway, it is legal at the end of the day.

http://www.justice.ie/80256E01003A21A5/vWeb/pcJUSQ5YBJWM-en the Dept of Justice guide to licencing firearms, it has peltny of holes in it, but is up to speed as regards non-resident certs.

Thanks for that civdef…

Getting a firearms licence looks to be a hell of a lot easier than getting one in England… even for a non-resident!

So for my next question… can you recommend a good rifle/pistol club near Kilkenny?

Jimbo

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭sinjin_smythe

what the hell are you planning to shoot with it anyway??

weedhead wrote:
    what the hell are you planning to shoot with it anyway??

These…

targ-2.gif

Jimbo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 confusedsolider

about yot interest in the ar-15 does it have the 3rd burst setting? the garda will allow almost any semi-auto rifle in if you can jusify the need for it? i know a farmer with a .308 ai-96 which is almost the same as the army sniper rifle but he uses it for killing foxes and its legal? there is ways around the laws but from what i know in terms of semi .22 or .223rem is the limit?

Hi confusedsolider

No, it's just a straight forward semi-automatic AR-15 with a .22 rimfire bolt assembly, no burst facility or anything. They only allow rimfire semi-auto's over here in Britain, they totally banned centrefire semi-auto rifles back in 1988, now there is talk of banning the .22rf semis as well.

Jimbo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Flattop 15

Bring it in!!There are some already here,and they cost the Earth.Shouldnt be ANY reason for anyone in power to give you any bovver about it.Apart from the usual "I dont like the look of that"type of Garda reasoning.So maybe "civvie"it abit. Maybe put a free float handgaurd on it?

Advertisement