Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Windows is hanging on login page

• 22-05-2005 9:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭

Hi i have a mate who is having trouble with a new dell dimension 3000. His pc hangs on the login page- sometimes it doesn't even get to the login in page ( Blue screen of death). We've done loads or virus, spyware and adware scans. It seemed to start when he tried to install a game on his comp. (Max Payne 2). i thought it might have been a graphics driver problem, so we updated the driver - still no help !! He has an Intel graphics card chipst ( I know!) and win xp sp2 home. I have a feeling it could be a registry probelm.. he would like to solve the problem without having to go back to a point in System restore or reinstalling windows. He's got some stuff on his pc he wants to keep.

Any help would be great !!
    (how come i'm typing in itallics ???)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭formatman

pop the new Hard drive into another PC . take off the files you want and then do a restore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

if these problems have occurred after installation of SP2, might be an idea to revert back to your previous state.

Maybe give system restore a go and revert back to before the point SP2 was installed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

Slow startups and then hangs are normally caused by something running that shouldnt be running on startup, seems to happen alot with server 2003!

get into safe mode if possible and disable all startup options in the startup tab see if that works, if it does then systematically turn them on again

Advertisement