Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New car regs for Dublin ?

Options
  • 22-05-2005 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭

From todays Sunday Independent -

"Councils in move for new car regs for D northside.
    Dublin mayors want seperate plates for different areas of capital"

The article basically states that suggestions are being made for the introduction of seperate index marks for Dubiln North, South, Fingal and Dunlaoghaire/Rathdown.
    (Perhaps somebody can post the full text here).

I'm guessing that the following would be the new index marks -

Dublin South - 'DS'
    Dublin North - 'DN'
    Fingal - 'F' (or 'FL')
    Dunlaoghaire/Rathdown - 'DR'

Opinions ?
    Good or bad idea ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

whats the point of it? northside / southside snobbery? nonsense IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭saobh_ie

More information for witness's to remember after cars flee crime scenes and more potential hits for partials on the Garda computers.

And snobbery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

Maybe it's something to do with motor tax\licence plates being a matter for the local authority. Perhaps the various councils feel its about time that the business was handled like to rest of the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

thats a pile of bollox if u ask me lol just coz the northside want to be their own entity or summat :) keep it simple is what I say instead of all this district division crap

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭zapata

Seems logical and about time to me.
    The annual 'D' registration has exceeded 100,000 for a number of years now.
    Limerick has had 'LK' and 'L' for years.
    and Tipperary has 'TN' and 'TS'.
    :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,869 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Silvera wrote:
    I'm guessing that the following would be the new index marks -
    Dublin North - 'DN'
    Sorry, DN is reserved for County Down :D

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Sounds like bollocks to me. Anyone remember a few years back when they wanted to split the GAA team into Dublin North and Dublin South?! Ridiculous!!

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭coolhandluke

More civil servants with too much time on their hands,dublin is dublin is dublin is dublin.D D D D D D D D :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Should just use DNS... Dirty North Side ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

This was on Newstalk during the week and the rational behind it was that it would help tourism is South Dublin Co. Co. (it was a rep from SDCC who was on). His logic that people were confused because there was Fingal Co Co, South Dublin etc. and that there was an identity crises. It was probably the lamest rationale i have ever heard. The identity crises has been caused by the councils themselves putting up signs like "Welcome to Co. Fingal" when they should have put up "Welcome to Co. Dublin - Fingal Co. Co. Municipal Area or words to that effect. Were all Dubliners stick with the D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

While we're on the subject, why do Limerick and Tipp have two different plates each?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Stekelly wrote:
    While we're on the subject, why do Limerick and Tipp have two different plates each?

As far as I know it is something to do with revenue that the councils receive from motor tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

In Tipperary you have Tipperary North Riding and Tipperary South Riding - two local authorities basically, so two different plates - TN and TS.
    You see the same in waterford - W and WD. As far as I know, one is waterford city, and the other is waterford county.
    I assume something similar applies to L and LK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭jlang

Few points - to the original poster, what's the difference between Dublin North and Fingal? Also, even if they split up the letters for the separate Dublin county areas, they should still only have one authority issuing them - to split up the office and duplicate administrative functions just do they can be done at a 'County' level seems contrary to good administrative practice. And what's the point, I'd rather not be labelled as a Southsider.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

what difference does it make?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭jlang

Stephen wrote:
    In Tipperary you have Tipperary North Riding and Tipperary South Riding - two local authorities basically, so two different plates - TN and TS.
    You see the same in waterford - W and WD. As far as I know, one is waterford city, and the other is waterford county.
    I assume something similar applies to L and LK.
    That's basically it, in those areas they had two registration offices. Dublin only ever had one, with (now) branch offices in the suburbs. Being a Revenue Commissioners/Dept of Transport function (or it's predecessors) it's not directly related to counties, but the boundaries were shared with the counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

ninja900 wrote:
    Sorry, DN is reserved for County Down :D

eh....sorry to break it to you but County Down is in the U.K. :OP

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Dublin City Council area is spread over the Northside and the Southside....what plates will they use..?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Its typical crap that WE have to put up with just to satisfy the pencil pushers !

How did they get away with introducing a "New" County (Fingal) anyway ??

The people certainly never asked, nor were asked, for it !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

SO - how can anyone clomplain does it make a difference?
    i drive a D reg - i'm not from dublin - i don't care what the number on my car says

jeeeeezzzzzzzz- complain about somehting worth complaining about

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Funny you should say that. On the Newstalk interview the topic of whether people would be reluctant to buy cars from certain counties. There was a suggestion that people would prefer to buy a D reg car as opposed to say a CN one? Any thought?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

Ah sure the reg doesn't mean anything anyway. If you buy a second hand car it could have any county on the reg, and most people wouldn't care.
    In other countries (Germany, US), the reg plates have to match the place you live in. If that were the case here there would be more reason to complain.
    BTW, I thought the Co.Co.s in Dublin were DL/Rathdown, Fingal, Dublin South and Dublin City - where is Dublin North coming from?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

egan007 wrote:
    SO - how can anyone clomplain does it make a difference?
    i drive a D reg - i'm not from dublin - i don't care what the number on my car says

jeeeeezzzzzzzz- complain about somehting worth complaining about
    Touché!

People will have a huff and a puff about anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭David Stewart

BrianD wrote:
    Funny you should say that. On the Newstalk interview the topic of whether people would be reluctant to buy cars from certain counties. There was a suggestion that people would prefer to buy a D reg car as opposed to say a CN one? Any thought?

Back in the 80s when I was living in Galway, a neighbour bought a new car but had it registered in Dublin on the grounds that a Dublin reg would help it maintain its resale value. His argument was that because of the weather in the West, potential buyers might be put off by the Galway reg thinking that the car was more prone to rust.

David

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

It used to be the case that "D" cars were more in demand. The population was larger in Dublin so therefore there was a larger concentration of new car sales.

People were, possibly correctly, assuming that cars used in potholed Cavan were being bounced around the roads up there ! The roads outside the capital were definitely in worse condition than in Dublin !

Not the case anymore though, so there may be some bargains for the savy buyer !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

A dealer spun the same yarn to a friend of mine a few years back when he was trying to get a decent price trading in his MN reg car. Bunch of @rse!

Same with Fingal, whoever decided to put up those signs saying Co. Fingal should be beaten to death with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Silvera wrote:
    Dublin South - 'DS'
    Dublin North - 'DN'
    Fingal - 'F' (or 'FL')
    More likely:
    Dublin City - 'D'
    Fingal - 'FL'
    South Dublin - 'SD' (or 'DS')
    More civil servants with too much time on their hands,dublin is dublin is dublin is dublin.D D D D D D D D :mad:
    Except when its Leixlip. :D
    Stephen wrote:
    While that was the original logic, the Riding business doesn't exist anymore (except for the horsey set ;)) . Its now North Tipperary and South Tipperary .

http://www.tipperarynorth.ie/
    http://www.southtippcoco.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Why do they care, the dealers make the plates to whatever county the customer chooses

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

MercMad wrote:
    Its typical crap that WE have to put up with just to satisfy the pencil pushers !

How did they get away with introducing a "New" County (Fingal) anyway ??

The people certainly never asked, nor were asked, for it !!

Eh.. it was proposed by the Mayors.. these don't class as pencil pushers. I'm sure the public servants are looking at this and saying "another bright scheme from yer man..."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Squirrel wrote:
    Why do they care, the dealers make the plates to whatever county the customer chooses

Not on second hand ones.

Advertisement