Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New car regs for Dublin ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Back in the 80s when I was living in Galway, a neighbour bought a new car but had it registered in Dublin on the grounds that a Dublin reg would help it maintain its resale value. His argument was that because of the weather in the West, potential buyers might be put off by the Galway reg thinking that the car was more prone to rust.

David

Down here in the sticks years ago I used to hear the opposite......dont buy a Dublin car cos the the clutch would be knackered and the engine overheating from crawling in traffic all the time

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Same thing down here where their are suberbs of Limerick City called Shannon Banks and Westbury which are actually in Co. Clare but most people living there register their as 05 L because they think they will have a better resales value.

I have had CE and D reg cars and the number plate doesn't bother me, I'm more concerned about the condition of the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Victor wrote:
    More likely:
    Dublin City - 'D'
    Dunlaoghaire/Rathdown - 'DR'
    Fingal - 'FL'
    South Dublin - 'SD' (or 'DS')
    Except when its Leixlip. :D

While that was the original logic, the Riding business doesn't exist anymore (except for the horsey set ;)) . Its now North Tipperary and South Tipperary .

http://www.tipperarynorth.ie/
    http://www.southtippcoco.ie/
    Well its still called Tipperary NR county council and Tipperary SR county council.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Bond-007 wrote:
    Well its still called Tipperary NR county council and Tipperary SR county council.

No its not,here at least, its North Tipperary County Council and has been for a while,no harm to get rid of those Brit designations.
    (I'm just being retro in 'Location')

Try the link

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Squirrel wrote:
    Why do they care, the dealers make the plates to whatever county the customer chooses
    Actually the county is determined by where the car is registered. For a person that is where they live, for a company it is where the registered office is. Hence most state vehicles are 'D', except Bord Gáis who are 'C'.

I would suggest state vehicles be 'É' (Éire) and taxis 'T' and hire cars maybe 'X'.

It struck that decentralisation has implications for registrations with department / agency vehicles now being register in the county where the department / agency headquarters are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Victor wrote:
    I would suggest state vehicles be 'É' (Éire) and taxis 'T' and hire cars maybe 'X'.

Might be an issue with the fact that the vehicles get sold on and in the case of the taxis, a lot of them are not being bout new, so would have to be re-registered with th enew "t" taxi plate. If it was worklable I'd agree with it though. Be a good system to have.

I'm thinking of the "one careful driver" ad.s :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

Victor wrote:

Great idea. This is already done in many other countries. In fact taxis in Australia are registered by the taxi licence number. e.g. T 1539.

Only thing with hire cars is that it shows the scumbags out there who the tourists are. Florida dropped this way of registering hire cars after a spate of attacks (and a couple of murders) a few years ago. But certainly not unworkable for state vehicles and taxis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

zapata wrote:
    Seems logical and about time to me.
    The annual 'D' registration has exceeded 100,000 for a number of years now.
    Limerick has had 'LK' and 'L' for years.
    and Tipperary has 'TN' and 'TS'.
    :cool:
    they all sound like **** names thts why im opposing it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Perhaps the smart thing is to get rid of the county moniker and the year and just use a short arbitrary sequence of letters and numbers. They're easier to remember, you avoid the GAA-influenced county affiliation, and cars will depreciate less because there's no reg year snobbery. But hey, that would probably mean that we don't need 50 car tax offices...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Besprechen

who devised the current ones anyway? why is it RN for Roscommon and not just R? SO for Sligo and not just S? OY for Offaly and not O? etc. Its not as if any other county shares the first characters for these AFAIK? And why isnt the number first as we read left to right and the numbers you'd glance in a hit and run are gonna be the ones on the left?
    some common sense was needed in the first place.
    Rant over. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,869 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

eth0_ wrote:
    eh....sorry to break it to you but County Down is in the U.K. :OP
    Yes I'm aware of that :rolleyes: But the possibility of having to accommodate the 'six counties' at some future date was a criterion in the design of our present numbering system.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

Blaster99 wrote:
    Perhaps the smart thing is to get rid of the county moniker and the year and just use a short arbitrary sequence of letters and numbers. They're easier to remember, you avoid the GAA-influenced county affiliation, and cars will depreciate less because there's no reg year snobbery. But hey, that would probably mean that we don't need 50 car tax offices...

isn't that how it used to be done?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

I'm not saying I agree or disagree with it ........... just passing on the info.

I live outside the pale, so makes no difference to me ;)

ninja900 wrote:
    Yes I'm aware of that :rolleyes: But the possibility of having to accommodate the 'six counties' at some future date was a criterion in the design of our present numbering system.

Says who ?
    Where did you read that ?

Seriously, I'm interested in knowing :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

Given that I drive a 72 DS 20, I'm all in favour of it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

DubTony wrote:
    isn't that how it used to be done?
    I've only been around since '77, all car registrations on this island, inc Northern Ireland, have always been broken down by districts, down here it's been done by Motor Vehicle Tax office, up north, by borough. Wales and England have now followed our lead, by breaking registrations down by local area.

Why is Offaly OY, well it's quite simple take a car reg'd in Offaly, number 1008, if only O was the county code, reg : 0501008. So it'd look like it's got no letters at all. Other counties would complain. Take Sligo, well an S looks like a 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Sounds like another waste of money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

Bogger77 wrote:
    Why is Offaly OY, well it's quite simple take a car reg'd in Offaly, number 1008, if only O was the county code, reg : 0501008. So it'd look like it's got no letters at all. Other counties would complain. Take Sligo, well an S looks like a 5.

Don't think that's really the explanation. According to the Wikipedia (for whatever that's worth), every administrative entity has a 2-letter code except for the heavily populated ones (Dublin, Limerick, Cork, Waterford and Galway) which have 1-letter codes. This is to leave room for 5- and 6-digit registration numbers to the right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Paul (MN)

can I suggest that there is no explanation for it at all! perhaps there was no thought involved and each county just picked their letter by a deadline and the result is what we have now and there was no grey matter involved in the situation...

• Advertisement

I recall hearing somebody on the radio years ago suggest that the authorities here had considered a reg system in 1987 along the lines of the system in the North.

Perhaps something like, for example: Kildare - AKE 12354 or/then 12345 AKE, BKE 12345....etc up to ZKE 12345

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Besprechen

Paul (MN) wrote:
    can I suggest that there is no explanation for it at all! perhaps there was no thought involved and each county just picked their letter by a deadline and the result is what we have now and there was no grey matter involved in the situation...

you're probably right, except I wouldnt think each county had a choice, but most likely what the bigwigs came up with over a hazy pub lunch in dublin some friday afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,869 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Silvera wrote:
    Where did you read that ?
    Dunno, it was a long time ago and the Irish Press website is no help :D but it was reported in the media when the new system was being introduced (1986?)

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 riskky

Talking about car regs,are personalised number plates legal in this country and can my car reg read 05 D DOC for instance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭jlang

riskky wrote:
    Talking about car regs,are personalised number plates legal in this country and can my car reg read 05 D DOC for instance :)
    Not really, you can only reserve a particular number in advance (full details here ... http://www.oasis.gov.ie/transport/motoring/vehicle_registration_numbers.html

Of course you could do what my neighbour does and use his personalised UK reg (for last four years, transferred plate to new car and all! But we don't really want to get into the foreign car in Ireland, VRT debate again, do we!)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

jlang wrote:
    But we don't really want to get into the foreign car in Ireland, VRT debate again, do we!)
    VRT? Whats that? Could you explain it ad nauseum again so that I don't have to read old posts? :D

Silvera wrote:
    Kildare - AKE 12354 or/then 12345 AKE, BKE 12345....etc up to ZKE 12345
    A-KE-12345

KE = Kildare?

What does the A stand for? Year?

I suppose it could have been used as a 'year' letter.

However, I was merely stating that the authorities had condsidered following the example of N.I where a serial letter is used with the county letter/letters (much the same as our pre-1987 system).

AKE, BKE, CKE.....etc

jlang wrote:
    Not really, you can only reserve a particular number in advance (full details here ... http://www.oasis.gov.ie/transport/motoring/vehicle_registration_numbers.html

Isn't it amazing that they don't sell personalised plates? There seem to be plenty of people willing to cough up €315 for a number. Imagine what they'd pay for something like the aforementioned 05 D DOC.

In New South Wales a personalised plate can have anything up to six letters/ numbers. The British allow transferring of plates. The Americans allow personal plates.

Personal plates bring revenue to the government. The Queensland governemnts web site even seems to encourage the purchase of personal registration to help build and maintain roads.

But then this is Ireland. And sure, who'd want them anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 riskky

Sure if u can cough up a couple of grands for a luxury auto with tinted glasses and all the extras,a little more for a personalised plate won't hurt.The govt. is sure missing out on a potential gold mine. :cool:

Advertisement