Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New car regs for Dublin ?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

DubTony wrote:
    Isn't it amazing that they don't sell personalised plates? There seem to be plenty of people willing to cough up €315 for a number. Imagine what they'd pay for something like the aforementioned 05 D DOC.

In New South Wales a personalised plate can have anything up to six letters/ numbers. The British allow transferring of plates. The Americans allow personal plates.

Personal plates bring revenue to the government. The Queensland governemnts web site even seems to encourage the purchase of personal registration to help build and maintain roads.

But then this is Ireland. And sure, who'd want them anyway?

I wrote a (lenghty) letter to the relevant minister a few years ago suggesting the introduction of personalised or 'cherished' plates.

Basically "they couldn't be arsed" was the jist of their reply !
    They went on about "the Gardai and Tax Offices liking the current system where a reg number stays with a vehicle in perpetutity...blah, blah, blah.."

If personalised plates were ever to be introduced, I would prefer a system with no 'year' in the reg.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

Silvera wrote:
    I wrote a (lenghty) letter to the relevant minister a few years ago suggesting the introduction of personalised or 'cherished' plates.

They went on about "the Gardai and Tax Offices liking the current system where a reg number stays with a vehicle in perpetutity...blah, blah, blah.."

Seems typical. An opportunity to remove copious amounts of cash from the wallets of citizens without pissing off other taxpayers, and they can't be bothered. Only in Ireland.

Why the Gardai would be against them is beyond me.
    "Did you get the reg?"
    "Yeah, it was 05 LH ... or was it LK and there was a 4 and a 6 in the number"

"Did you get the reg?"
    "Yeah it was one of them private ones .... MIKE65"
    "Oh yeah, we know him. Thanks"

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

DubTony wrote:

Why the Gardai would be against them is beyond me.
    "Did you get the reg?"
    "Yeah, it was 05 LH ... or was it LK and there was a 4 and a 6 in the number"

"Did you get the reg?"
    "Yeah it was one of them private ones .... MIKE65"
    "Oh yeah, we know him. Thanks"

:D

Well thats convinced me - keep the present system!

Mike.

now excuse me while I get the motor warm for the next blag.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Nuttzz wrote:
    whats the point of it? northside / southside snobbery? nonsense IMO
    TN or TS :)
    I think the plates in Dublin should be split. North and south would do. It would free up some space on the already crowded number plates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 riskky

Silvera wrote:

If personalised plates were ever to be introduced, I would prefer a system with no 'year' in the reg.
    There is nothing wrong with a reg no.staying with a vehicle forever.Personalised plates are simply what they are i.e personal.The vehicle remains registered by the dealer but one applies to use the personalised reg against the original e.g Mike65 against 05 D ****.If u decide to sell,the reg no. remains 05 D**** .My guess is the Gardai and Tax offices don't want the extra paper work.

• Advertisement

riskky wrote:
    There is nothing wrong with a reg no.staying with a vehicle forever.Personalised plates are simply what they are i.e personal.The vehicle remains registered by the dealer but one applies to use the personalised reg against the original e.g Mike65 against 05 D ****.If u decide to sell,the reg no. remains 05 D**** .My guess is the Gardai and Tax offices don't want the extra paper work.

I had the same thoughts back then re keeping the original reg AND using a personal reg while the vehicle is in your ownership.

Unfortunetly, the powers-that-be don't think like us ! :(

Just to add to an earlier post-

Almost ever country in the world allows personal reg numbers.
    I was living in New Zealand last year and the place was 'awash' with them......even the (tiny) Cook Islands had loads on display !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭jlang

Rabies wrote:
    I think the plates in Dublin should be split. North and south would do. It would free up some space on the already crowded number plates
    Don't think it would, actually. Currently most Dublin plates have 5 digits after the letter. Only the first 9999 have less, and only 1 or 2 years went over 100000, but not a huge amount of cars had the 6 digits. If you split Dublin in two, assuming the split is about even, you do get 19998 plates with less than 5, most would still have 5. So you're not really saving when you consider that to get this you've always added an extra letter.

You could use just something like D for the northside and E for the southside, but I don't think anybody's calling for that.

On the other point, I'm in favour of personalized plates being introduced - would make it easier to tell the tossers on the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Personalised plates I ve seen:

4Q (say it fast!) :D
    TOS 5A (was on a BMW, naturally!)
    GOD 666 (underneath instead of the dealers name "The devil made me do it!" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I think its the large series of number is what stumps most people.
    jlang wrote:
    Don't think it would, actually. Currently most Dublin plates have 5 digits after the letter. Only the first 9999 have less, and only 1 or 2 years went over 100000, but not a huge amount of cars had the 6 digits. If you split Dublin in two, assuming the split is about even, you do get 19998 plates with less than 5, most would still have 5. So you're not really saving when you consider that to get this you've always added an extra letter.
    Splitting Dublin into 4 gives you 39996 plates with only 4 numbers, although 3 of the 4 councils would have two letters.

However a lot of Dublin registrations are state vehicles, so 'É' would help.

• Advertisement
Advertisement