Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bring back The Openline on FM104!!!

Options
  • 22-05-2005 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Without a doubt, the finest radio show EVER to grace the airwaves of Dublin. It was some of the funniest radio I've ever heard.

I still listen to my Openline tapes that I recorded. :D

Is there any chance of it making a comeback?? Greg was a great host, did he get out of the radio game altogether??

Barnaby's "Boozin'" was probably the shows best tune. Notable moments include Barnaby taking the entire crew hostage...loved it! :D:D

BTW was Tony played by Jim Jim from The Strawberry Alarm Clock? They do sound similar!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

OMG yes!

It was brilliant alright. The songs were class, but all the different characters were the best. I was a few myself...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Bringing it back would only taint the memory.
    Let it be.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Makaveli wrote:
    Bringing it back would only taint the memory.
    Let it be.

As much as I miss it I agree with Makaveli. So many nights did I stay up to listen to that show. I've lost most of my tapes but I still have a minidisc of most of the songs. Great stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭ThatBloke

Best show on radio ever. Who was the DJ again? Has he done anything since?

You fooilz

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Twas Greg Merriman. He sounded like Gerry Ryan's lovechild. I dunno what he's doing now though, anyone else know??

• Advertisement

Ah Greg Merriman, that's the one. I'd say it was great fun to work on :)

Anyone have any of the songs saved on computer? They were class.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

That show used to keep my up when I should have been sleeping for school. That was a great show. Defo should bring it back. There's no real good shows on the radio anymore. Mary Shocklates..

I remembre he played a song and the lines went something like "oh, here comes Santa with his sack of shiit, and all his stinkin reindeers" Was so funny.

He hated people calling him Gerry Ryan sound-a-like. Dunno where he's gone though. :( Come Back!! :D

He said on the last show that he wasn't doing any more DJing. He didn't say what he was moving into but it wasn't radio.

Man this is bringing back memories, keep them coming :D I remember him saying one time that he had a day job so he probably went back to that.

I'd be surprised if the people behind it didn't go on and do something else in the media. It was a unique show at the time.

Yea, but it was hardly helping FM104. They probably get more listeners from whatever crap they have on now at 1am. Shame, but I agree that bringing it back would be a bad idea. It was brilliant when it lasted, and it should stay briliant in memories (and tapes). I only have about 3 of them on tape. But I do have Boozing, and the one where Mary came clean on who (or what) she really was. Ah, good times..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

I know a regular caller on the show(Trebor) and he was in touch with Greg by e-mail for a little while after the show ended. Greg's doing something incredibly normal/boring sounding, cant remember for sure but think he said he was working for Eircom.

steviec wrote:
    I know a regular caller on the show(Trebor) and he was in touch with Greg by e-mail for a little while after the show ended. Greg's doing something incredibly normal/boring sounding, cant remember for sure but think he said he was working for Eircom.
    God, Eircom? Pity.

I remember Trebor. Robert backwards. Oh I remember when that became public!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

steviec wrote:

i remember when benny de meena ripped it outta trebor!!trebor had some crappy slaggin like "your mother has hair on her chin", to which benny replied, "so what your mother is my girlfriend". funniest thing ever!!

in fact, that was my fave show ever. some aul one rang up and started havin a go at benny at the start of the show and greg let them go at it for the rest of the hour!!i have that whole show on tape, class stuff!!

who remembers donkey from drogheda!?! i just listened to it there, best tony song ever!!! :D:D

are there any fansites left??

Spogpean wrote:
    are there any fansites left??

Was gonna write "aw there were fan sites" but I think I remember them. They have a forum/chatroom thingy on it. And you could draw pics on it????? Jaysus me memory!!!! And I'm only 22!! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

steviec - are you SC by any chance?

http://listen.to/trebor/

Found one, haven't gone through it yet!

Repli, mod: Openline?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

I was talking to Adrian Kennedy and he told me that Greg went on to do computers as there was not much money in radio.

Really miss that show it was quality.

Here's another site, has lyrics to all the songs! YAY

http://kealy.tripod.com/overnighter.htm

Gonna have to go digging for those tapes!! :rolleyes:

Ro: maaan! wrote:
    Repli, mod: Openline?

It's nothing really to do with this radio show though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

From the realms of my hard drive.
    http://members.boards.ie/fabritzo/openline.zip
    Donkey! Donkey from Drogheeda!

Only song I have on the pc is Barnaby's boozing.
    Used to have them all in their crappy real media 16kbs quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Spogpean wrote:
    BTW was Tony played by Jim Jim from The Strawberry Alarm Clock? They do sound similar!!!

I've noticed this as well, especially as Jim Jim puts on a very Tony-like voice the odd time.

I remember way back when the openline was an extension of the phone show. Then Tony rang up, it was a Halloween night many years ago. Thus started the legend of Tony Monkeychild and the openline as we now know it! I have a load of tapes of the show in my parents' house somewhere I think, I should have a root around if I get a chance.

Wonder what happened to the IRC regulars - DavidC, Stampy, JamCos and co.

Yes... I wonder.. ¬_¬

heh, no way. My old openline site still has a load of the songs on it.

http://www.geocities.com/pegleg03/sounds.html

As for the IRC regulars I think 90% are probably regulars here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

/me smacks the pony

Deadly!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

Good man Peg, I've another 8meg mp3 here, no where to put it though.

• Advertisement

good stuff everyone, keep them coming

Advertisement