Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Senior Team Shirt Names

• 22-05-2005 11:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭

just a real curious question as my first post,

anytime I watch international football when Ireland play they never have the names on the shirts eg. duff no.9 etc.

is there a valid reason for this or is it just the FAI being cheap skates?

I mean like isn't the name and the date of the game sewn into every shirt so like that they can't be re used again anyways?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

uefa dont make you have the numbers on it and its probly better that way,imagine some of those eastern european names,the letters would be going the full way around the jerseys

ps duff has been number 11 more or less since they returned from the world cup,if you got any pics otherwise to prove me wrong bring it on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

i think he was just using it as a example ya know name and number

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

yeh sorry was just using an example.

i wasn't saying that we should have the names on the shirts but just wondering was there a logical explanation for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Gileadi wrote:
    imagine some of those eastern european names,the letters would be going the full way around the jerseys

Never mind eastern europe!

Wright-Phillips And now that Bradley is coming through they can stick an S. or a B. before that!

And then there's Jan Vennegoor of Hessilink...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭dcarroll

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Never mind eastern europe!

Wright-Phillips And now that Bradley is coming through they can stick an S. or a B. before that!

And then there's Jan Vennegoor of Hessilink...
    of means or in dutch too, so its translaterd to venegoor or hesselink

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

dcarroll wrote:
    of means or in dutch too, so its translaterd to venegoor or hesselink

Still has to put it on his jersey!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

And he doesn't abbreviate any of it! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

You are only required to have names (and small numbers on the front) on jersies at the finals of major International tournaments. The first time I noticed this was at Euro92 in Sweden.

For other games you don't need any such info but at the same time there's nothing stopping you putting it there. I'd imagine the FAI just couldn't be bothered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭Serbian

If you email and ask them, they will probably tell you why.

info@fai.ie

Advertisement