Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Rock scene

Options
  • 23-05-2005 3:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

What up with the new rock scene?
    Are there some underground bands that are up and coming that anyone is aware of?

I like the scene coming out of NYC, right now im listening to the new ArthurKill a lot, hoping that they aren't the only ones that still hold it down. Enough of this pop-rock crap, it makes me physically ill.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Universall wrote:
    What up with the new rock scene?

There's a new rock scene?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Yeah, all this Killers, Bravery balls. rubbish trendy cack.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

bombidol wrote:

It all sounds like old rock to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭PlasseyMinstrel

bombidol wrote:
    Well spotted, you see the word "scene" automatically implies trendy, which implies style over substance, which implies compensating hype, which implies celebrating the mediocre, which implies just plain boring uninventive music that people worship so they can associate themselves with these so-called "scenes" so that they can consider themselves trendy, bohemian and even cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

We need a new interesting music scene. All that Killers/Bloc Party/Kasabian stuff is boring.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Blisterman wrote:
    We need a new interesting music scene. All that Killers/Bloc Party/Kasabian stuff is boring.

You don't need any "scene" in order to listen to new and interesting music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

Aren't there any heavy new Irish bands out there? Are there any hardcore Irish acts about?
    I'm sick of altrock and acoustic rock around here...

I mean like the seatlle scene of the late 80s early 90s, where there's new interesting music being made. I mean, is there one like that anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

theres a pretty good drum and bass scene.
    all the new rock sucks, just not original.
    metal is still alive and well.
    and of course there is the jpop/rock scene :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

Theres a band called The Arcade Fire, I heard a few songs of theres and tbh theyre alright.Canadian and a wea bit indie/alt.Hard to describe some of their stuff, but theyre not too bad.

• Advertisement

I don't like Drum and Bass. They play it in all the clubs over here. Drives me nuts.
    I keep hearing about arcade fire and meaning to download their stuff, but I forget. I'll get some tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Zyox

Arcade Fire lol!?!
    They're Hope Of The States mixed with the Dresden Dolls and all on acid.

As for this new scene, try Central Bank. I was there other day thinking all the cool kids moved to outside Tower Records but it seems it's back keeping it real at the CB. Bring black. And don't tidy your room before you come, y'rebel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 rootofallevil

John2 wrote:
    There's a new rock scene?

Yeah but i'm pretty sure testosterone will rule you out of it.
    Pink clothes, sketchy hair (styled by a stylist not a barber)
    dodgy blazer/t-shirt combinations, do all that and you won't
    find it, it will find you.

I mean a new music scene, not a new fashion scene.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 rootofallevil

Yes, but when new music scene's become the trend they become the new fashion scenes.
    Take for example the above mentioned blazer/tshirt tossery. A symbol of the pop-rock of the killers and such.
    If you want a new scene go find it yourself because if you go with what some one else says you'll just end up hating it, them or yourself or maybe all three. Or you'll just end up another sheep in a blazer/t-shirt combo.
    Also. looking for a scene is just limiting yourself, if that was what people did no metaller would ever play sport, no teeny-boppers would ever do an ugly bastard and no coldplay fans would have a personality.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

I hear the truth behind teen pregnancy will be redefining the scene this Friday in the lower deck tbh. Show ya what killin good songs is all about¬!!!1

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

speaking of "scenes", why hasn't ireland got one? trendy or otherwise, we have no bands that are pimping themselves out there... and that just sucks, quite frankly.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Blisterman wrote:
    I mean like the seatlle scene of the late 80s early 90s, where there's new interesting music being made. I mean, is there one like that anywhere?
    Yes. But this stuff takes time, dude. Also, the bands you see already have money backing them. Some bands don't have the cash to make the CD's.

Well you'd still be able to get their Mp3s. One band I like is The Subways. i dunno if anyones ever heard of them. They were playing at a bar I was at. They're pretty good. They havent released any albums yet though.

I wish I conveniently found more bands like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

One Irish band I think that trendys cant take away from us is the Sultans of Ping.Fantastic band, and theyre from Ireland!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

speaking of "scenes", why hasn't ireland got one? trendy or otherwise, we have no bands that are pimping themselves out there... and that just sucks, quite frankly.
    WTF. I just pimped us.!!11

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Pistol Pete

Hey bombidol do you have any songs about wrestling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 doomsdayjeezuz

Itchy Trigger Finger - www.itfrock.com

Nearly Dead Jim - www.nearlydeadjim.com

Both Irish rock/metal bands, both have cd's out, both absolutely amazing!

check 'em out, it wont take too long to just take a peek at the site surely....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Universall

Doomsday you are "da man"!.

checking out the few suggestions.... maybe rock is dead

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Dresden Dolls! Dresden Dolls! Dresden Dolls! They're absolutely fantastic, best band I've heard all year.

www.dresdendolls.com - go to the downloads section, you can download 4 of their songs for free - DO IT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 doomsdayjeezuz

Universall wrote:
    Doomsday you are "da man"!.

checking out the few suggestions.... maybe rock is dead

either that was an ignorant, smart-ass, sarcastic comment, or i didn't quite get it :D

Well, you could check out the Burma Shade in Crawdaddy tomorrow night (Sun). We're supporting Boss Volenti and Fired for Theft. We're onstage at 8.30.

And it's only a fiver in

Thanks for letting me pimp :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Rockshandy

we need more KISS!!! and van halen!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement