Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOLBB+, went over the cap, rebooted modem, still works!

• 23-05-2005 10:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭

just a bit of info that i noticed last night.

i had some net problems and a reboot of the PC didn't fix it, so I figured I'd need to reboot my modem as I couldn't even get to the config screen on the modem to take a look there.

only problem was, I was over the cap, and the last time I did that and rebooted the modem I couldn't log back in until the following month, which when i called IOL was told is standard practice if someone has gone over the cap.

anyway, so I power cycled the modem and lo and behold it let me back on again.

I don't know if it was a fluke or what, and I'm not going to test my luck again until maybe the 29th or 30th just in case, but i'm taking it as either really good news in that they have altogether stopped enfocing the cap, or really bad, in that they'll let me back on, but are going to charge me for going over (if they didn't let me back on then they'd be cutting their own profits from charging for going over the cap.

anyone have any thoughts on this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭irishshogun

I prob wouldnt read too much into it, my network has been going down alot before or after I reach the cap and I've had to reboot and then it works again, then again maybe you're right..who knows!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

well, the first time it happened was only my first (paying) month and I was only over by about 500mb and couldn't get back on.

I called and asked support and they said I wouldn't be able to get back on until the counter was reset at the begining of the next month, which was exactly what happened.

i was only slightly (less than 1gb) over the cap but the stats page was saying i had exceeded the cap when i last checked it, so it's definately listed as being over, and still let me connect.

anyone else had any experience with it since the upgrade?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

you might be charged for going over, i wouldnt keep doing that its not worth being diconnected although it might be a fluke who knows..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I've gone over the cap a few times and never had any problems with connecting. Maybe they're watching you vibe :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Na they have relaxed the rules they used to ban you for the month as soon as you went over the 16GB cap but they have relaxed in the lst few months and now that it's gone up to 24GB I'd say our "unofficial" cap is more like 26-27GB maybe even 30GB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

how do check your cap anymore? Obviously the have given over to BT, but now i have to sign up again to log in? When i went to do that it told me i hadn't filled in the "customer type" field.........there is no "customer type" field!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

hmm. Im confused, i found the cap under broadband.iol.ie? Whats all this caffale with BT? Who owns who now. Which is the home site?

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Ebonyks

I honestly think the cap is a myth and has been for quite a while now.

I can't remember a month (in almost 2 years of having it) where I wasn't over the cap, if not double or quadruple the thing. I was disconnected once at the end of some month in 2003 though.

TimAy: http://broadband.iol.ie/cgi-bin/sec/dsl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

same company has owned it for 2 or 3 years now (BT) but to ease people into the changeover they adopted a name that incorporated both the old name (Esat) and the new and came up with (EsatBT), to get people used to the new name, then they phased the old name out just leaving us with BT, or BT Ireland (take your pick).

you don't need to change anything, or re-register your account.

use exactly the same login you did before and it should work fine.

if it doesn't then call support, but it's working fine for me and seemingly everyone else too, or you'd have heard more about it by now from other users.

Advertisement