Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVD's playing Black and White

Options
  • 23-05-2005 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭

Hi,

I recently got some DVD's from my cousin and when I put them into my DVD player, the picture is Black and White.

I think this is a problem with my TV in that it is not NTSC compatible. Is this correct?

Is there any settings that I can change on the TV to make it NTSC compatible?

The TV I am using is only a few years old and one that I borrowed from a friend. I am thinking of buying a new TV so I am wondering if all new TVs are NTSC compitable or is this something I need to ask for when buying?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Nearly all new TVs will be NTSC compatable. If you use a RGB cable (scart to scart) you will get a much better picture quality and you should be able to get a colour image on current TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

check the settings on the dvd maybe someone was messing about with the video output options..most tv's are compatible indded...think all widescreens are at least... maybe look into getting the macrovision removed off your dvd player???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Some older DVD players will play back Region 0 discs in B&W...could that be your problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭DerryRed

Thanks for the replies so far.

The DVDs I'm playing that come out Black&White are a mixture of Region1 and Region 2.

My DVD player is a Sony and is about 2 years old.

I've also tried a a RGB cable and the picture still comes out Black&White.

If it is a problem with my TV what do I need to ask for in a shop when I'm looking for a NTSC compatible TV. A few months ago I was helping my Dad to buy a new TV and asked the Sales Assistant if it was NTSC compatible. He just stared at me with a blank expression and disappeared for half-an-hour, none the wiser when he came back.

Is there something on the TV specifications that indicates what I need to look for? On all the specs I looked at I couldn't see anything saying 'NTSC compatible'.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Nearly all decent TV's nowadays should be NTSC compliant via the Scart sockets. Out of curiousity, what make/model is the TV you've issues with?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭The General

This use to happen to me just stop watching copied DVDs on old TVs

Advertisement