Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

[urgent] reg cert help

Options
  • 23-05-2005 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I dont know what to do here,
    Ive bought a honda bros motorcycle about a month ago from a shop in town.

the registration certificate just arived today,
    but-
    My name is spelt wrong on it,
    My address is spelt wrong on it.
    most importantly, its not my bike on it.

Same model, different year and reg number.

what do i do?

go back to the shop, go to the guards?

Im really worried as my insurance etc will all now be invalidated if anything happens.

Please if someone knows nything about this id really appreciate it.

Chalk

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Hi,
    Different but similar.
    I received a cert a few years ago about my new car, My name My address all perfect. Except one thing, I hadn't bought a car !!!!!!!

It took two/three months of hounding with calls and letters to get rid of the bloody thing.

So based on my personal experience, don't expect an even remotly efficient service.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

thanks for replying

who do i ring to get this sorted?
    is it the shops responsibilty or mine?
    can i legally drive my bike?
    should i let the guards know incase anythign ahppens?
    what about my insurer?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

It is pretty par for the course to be driving a vehicle before it is registered in your name, but it will do no harm just to ring the insurance company to cover your @ss. Sounds like the shop sent off the cert for the wrong bike - go back to them and hound them till they sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

When you bought the bike you were supposed to have filled the back of the reg cert - if so, were the details correct? If yes, someone in Shannon was drunk when they entered your details. If no, ring the shop and get them to sort it.

Do you have a receipt from the shop for the bike with the correct reg number? This should suffice in the event of the guards stopping you. Can you legally drive your bike? - is the number on the bike the same as the number on your insurance cert - if yes, then no problem.

Ultimately the shop needs to fix this mess, you can write to Dept of Envmt in Shannon with as much details as possible but if you didn't break it, why should you have to fix it?!!

'c

thanks, eoin and ceptr

i have the cash receipt with the correct details on it.
    the reg on the bike is the one on my insurance.
    i filled in the details on the back of the old reg cert but i honestly didnt check what it said on the front - guess im a bit to trusting.
    however my own name is spelt wrong on the cert, i thought it was ajoke or something - my name is alan and its addressed to anal....
    bike shop isnt open till tomorrow so ill ring them first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

most likely an innocent mistake on the part of the shop. Probably had 2 similar bikes and picked up the wrong cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'd say the shop has messed up.

I wouldn't worry about your insurance. As long as your insurer has the correct make of vehicle, and the reg number that's marked on the vehicle, you're covered - you have supplied them with the correct details as you know them. The vehicle registration certificate and the insurance don't really have anything to do with eachother (though if you try to insure a car fully comp and you're name's not on the cert that could cause hassle). Check the chassis no. that's marked on the cert against the one marked on the bike. If they're different, your insurance is valid. If they're the same, then something weird is up (number plates have been switched or something) - don't drive the bike and go to the Gardai.

Otherwise, I'd say your first port of call is to go back to the shop with the new reg cert. Chances are they have another bros there, he just filled in the wrong cert to transfer it to your name.

it was the first one they had in stock since about february.

ill let yous know how i get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Ultimately the shop needs to fix this mess, you can write to Dept of Envmt in Shannon with as much details as possible but if you didn't break it, why should you have to fix it?!!

I like the sentiment, but as the shop probably don't care a huge amount, it is up to Chalk to sort it out :(

I don't remember signing any certs the last two times I bought a car 2nd hand - the garages took my name and address and sent in the cert both times. In fact, my previous car was not registered in my name for a couple of months after I bought it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

This is the cert issued by the Revenue? Go around to your local VRT office with your bike and cert and they will visually inspect the bike and issue a new cert.

Once you have reported the correct details of the bike you have to the insurance co you shouldn't have any problems.

Slightly off topic, you can fail the NCT because of this type of paperwork error.

• Advertisement

rang the transport office in shannon,
    they said its most likely the shops error.

Ive to get a letter from the shop saying I dont own the 89 bike,
    and get them to send in the new cert.

another day to take off work :/

Advertisement