Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tie rods

Options
  • 23-05-2005 11:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Told by mechanic I need to change one of the tie rods on steering rack. Is this a big job (money and time)?

Citizen.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Simple job, cost is relative to cost of car (Daewoo = €, Ford = €€, Merc = €€€€€) Tracking must be checked afterward, both tie-rods should be changed at same time.

'c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Simple job, cost is relative to cost of car (Daewoo = €, Ford = €€, Merc = €€€€€) Tracking must be checked afterward, both tie-rods should be changed at same time.

'c

Merc tie rod (complete) 30 euro from independant supplier, fitting free if you're competent and 30 euro to track at any proper tyre shop. I doubt any other brand is cheaper than that.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

Or unless it is one of those really neat designs where the inner & outer tie rod is one solid piece, and not available as a replacement part, unless the whole rack is attached, in which case a $30 part becomes $300.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

mike65 wrote:
    Merc tie rod (complete) 30 euro from independant supplier, fitting free if you're competent and 30 euro to track at any proper tyre shop. I doubt any other brand is cheaper than that.

Mike.

New QH Fiesta rod end from Calbro in Galway = €5+ VAT = 1/6th of cost of Merc part. I'm sure the ratio would remain the same if OEM parts were used. The electricity to run this thread costs more than most Fiesta parts...

(BTW Mike, I started driving that W124 again - I'll PM you when/if it is being scrapped if you still want bits)

'c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

New QH Fiesta rod end from Calbro in Galway = €5+ VAT = 1/6th of cost of Merc part. I'm sure the ratio would remain the same if OEM parts were used. The electricity to run this thread costs more than most Fiesta parts...

(BTW Mike, I started driving that W124 again - I'll PM you when/if it is being scrapped if you still want bits)

'c

They must be made of paper! BTW its W201 you're driving...:)

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Saturnine

'c
    Where in Galway is Calbro?

Advertisement