Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gonna start playing this tonight - what's the dealio?

Options
  • 23-05-2005 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭

Where's the best place to join? I see there's a bored of ie server.

character class etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

quarryman wrote:
    Where's the best place to join? I see there's a bored of ie server.

Check the sticky to see who's playing on what server. One with a boardsie guild is probably best, if you want to play with boardsies. Playing with RL friends is best, but if no one you know is playing, then boardsies are the next best thing
    character class etc?

Decide that for yourself. Read the descriptions on http://www.wow-europe.com/ - see what kind of class suits you. Do you prefer melee, or want to try out something like a shaman (few different things, melee, magic, healing), or nuke from afar (mage), or heal others/pwn as a shadow priest (priest, you'll be wanted for all the instances), or rogue (fun for PVP and early on, but you'll have a hard time finding groups for instances at the high lvls).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

the horde smell. join bladefist alliance and join dudes, the anti-boards guild

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Ignore the whole dudes/bored of ie thing and decide what class/race you want to play first. Then decide if you want to play PvP (a lot of ganking once you level past 30, constant pvp when you reach about 45) or PvE (little to no ganking, but still oppurtunitys for pvp).

Once youve decided those two factors look for the two servers that we all play on(pvp: bladefist and pve: draenor (i think)) and contact the appropriate guild.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Caliden wrote:
    the horde smell. join bladefist alliance and join dudes, the anti-boards guild

We hate boards infact and we have alot of sex, wild nights out and real life girlfriends. Hence we're all under level 60. Bored of IE are mostly 60's. What does that say about them?

.logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

TBH if you are just starting avoid going onto bladefist. Go onto a low pop server. You will just get owned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

and pve: draenor (i think))
    Correct.
    PvE server however u gotta keep in mind that going around your business its very unlikely that you'll get 1v1 pvp. Only PvP atm is mass Tarren Mill attacks. While these are impressive to begin with they soon get boring. That said the Battlegrounds is where most pvp will be happening anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

logic1 wrote:
    We hate boards infact and we have alot of sex, wild nights out and real life girlfriends. Hence we're all under level 60. Bored of IE are mostly 60's. What does that say about them?

.logic.

so joining boards of ie restricts sex and wild nights? Nuts to that.

i'll be installing/logging on around 6 so if anyone of you guys are around then i'll message you. I take it there is a message system in the game?

i'll have a read of the stickies too koneko, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

The manual should cover a lot of the info on commands, but if you know someone's name and they're the same faction as you (Horde/Alliance - you can't communite with the other side ingame), you can just do /w <theirname> <yourmessage>

(w=whisper)

that took an age to install. now its downloading the patch, at 10kB/s! i've got a 2MB line so that's pretty crap.

agghh need some help here.

gave up on the blizzard updater and manually downloaded the patch.

got to version 1.30 ~110MB

then i d/loaded another patch 1.31 - 1.4 ~ 30MB

When i try to run the 2nd one it says that the versions are different 1.3 vs 1.31.

Can't seem to find a 1.3 to 1.31 patch anywhere and when i run the updater it trys to download the entire 116MB patch, which will take way too long.

edit: sorted at last. downloaded the largest patch i could find and after a few game restarts tis working fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

The patching works in a bittorrentesque way, so you may need to play with your firewall to open up the correct ports.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

www.wowguru.com/patches

theres a cumulative path there and the d/l speeds are good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Caliden wrote:
    www.wowguru.com/patches

theres a cumulative path there and the d/l speeds are good
    Goddammit!

I re-installed windows & WoW on monday and sat through one patch download after another last night before I got to go clobber some beasties.

Advertisement