Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Projector HP XB31 set up help needed

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

You've got 4 sources and three input options. You could run a VGA cable, an Svideo cable (4 pin connector at each end) and a composite video (RCA connector, usually yellow at each end). Connect the laptop by VGA using the VGA M1A adaptor, Connect the dvd player by Svideo, connect the Sky box by Composite video, using a scart adaptor. If you wanted to improve the quality of the Sky stuff, you could swap connections with the Svideo cable, assuming that you've got a suitably enabled scart out put on the Skybox and an appropriate adaptor. When you want to use the Xbox, swap cable time again.....

An alternative is to run the same cables, but use one of These. I have one of the these, and it has an inbuilt tv tuner for cable tv (NTL), a composite video input and an Svideo input and a VGA pass through. So you can connect your laptop to it (the signal will passthrough), your dvd player and sky box (Svid and composite vid inputs) and then there's one long VGA cable which connects the ProV to the projector - you use the ProV remote to select which input device you want to watch. The ProV out puts an XGA signal, so it's sending a progressive scan computer signal to the projector - projectors tend to deal with these a lot better than with video signals. If you want everything permanently hooked up to the projectr, then also run a long composite video and Svideo cable. You can connect the Xbox using one of them and have a spare connection for later.

Hope this helps,

The Ritzzzzzzzzz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Maxwell

That really is great Help - thanks The Ritz!

I really appreciate the time you went to to type this in. I was actually thinking of buying something like you have linked to and going that route - going to google for the best price now

One more question though if you don't mind?

I have bought the following surround speakers:
    Brand: Sony Model: DAVSB300
    0027503_04_max.jpg

(650W) 96W x5 +170W RMS (10% THD)
    Slim and stylish design
    DVD/Super Audio CD/CD/CD-R/RW playback
    Dolby Digital/ DTS/Dolby ProLogic 2
    Floor standing speakers x4
    S-Master full digital amplifier
    FM/AM RDS tuner

As I would like to play by back up films from the laptop through the projector (via the "ZINWELL PROV PROGRESSIVE SCAN TV CONVERTOR ") I realise that I will need 5.1 output from my Laptop .....yes? So this would cure this problem - wont it?:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/electronics/B000063S34/system-requirements/ref=ed_tec_dp_2_1/202-1655551-9631061

I have it at home because I bought it because I knew I would need it

So if I get the ZINWELL, I should be okay then?
    Thanks for your help?

Any idea on where to get this from in Ireland:
    ZINWELL PROV PROGRESSIVE SCAN TV CONVERTOR

or do I order through Amazon as they seem to be the only ones selling it?

Do you mind me asking where you got your one from?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Hi,

You should check whether the Sony DAVSB300 will accept a digital audio input - you should see an orange coloured RCA input jack or an optical input connector. I've had a quick Google on the specs and one source says
    "1 x video loop, 1 x video in, 1 x audio loop, 1 x audio in
    Scart (RGB, S-Video, composite video and stereo audio out)
    2 x stereo line audio in, front-mounted headphone socket"

This suggests (2x stereo line audio in) that it will not take in a digital signal (SPDIF) and decode it to output DD or DTS 5.1. If this is the case, you just need to get an adaptor which has a 3.5mm stereo jack to 2 RCA sockects and use this to connect the regular headphone output of the laptop to one of the stereo line in on the Sony - no point in getting an off-board digital sound procesor for the laptop if the Sony won't take the digital signal.

When i started out I used a laptop and fed the sound from the headphone output to an AV receiver - the result is Dolby Pro Logic, and while it isn't a patch on a proper Dolby or DTS sound, it isn't too shabby.

As for the ProV, The actual model you're looking for is Here or an updated version Here

I got mine quite some time ago from a company called Scancom. After a little research I discovered that they are now supplying a much updated model which includes component video in and DVI output, both of which could be very useful if you had, say an Xbox with component video out or upgraded your projector at some point in the future. you can check it out Here - the newer model is VTB100 on the page, another version of the standard ProV is the model VTB101 - I'd say that the innards of the later model are the same as the ProV - the rear panel looks the same.

There's just one note of warning - these devices are fairly low-cost as de-interlacers go, so don't expect miracles. Also, they output standard pc resolutions up to XGA (1024x768). If the native resolution of the projector is 800x600 or 1024x768, then the device will send it a signal which will perfectly match the LCD panel in the projector and you'll see pretty good results. If you upgrade to a widescreen projector at a later stage, the projector will have to "scale" (i.e. fit the incoming signal to it's LCD panel) - you won't get a straight 1:1 match from the ProV to the projector. This is not exactly the end of the world, by the time you come to upgrade you might very well look at getting a different/better scaler/whatever and it might be a non-issue for you. I thought that I should mention it for the sake of completeness.

If you want to have a gander at this gizmo working in the flesh drop me a PM.

Regards,

Sean.

Cheers Again Sean, really, really appreciate your help.

I am trying to get my head around this and probably will hae more questions, when the set up starts - probably in the next week or 2. I will probably back to you to seek more help

Thanks again, can't concentrate today after the match last night, but this will get my undivided attention this weekend and will revert back

Thanks again!!!

• Advertisement

Okay, things are getting heated and Im feeling such a fool because I don't know how to connect the Projector directly to the speakers (DAV SB300)

What cable am I missing or what cable do I need to buy to connect?

Sorry for the really stupid question, but I haven't a clue as I usually just connect the projector to the laptop - what do I do?

Maxwell,

I'm posting from hols,otherwise would offer to help........

If you just want to get it going basically you should be able to connect the composite video out (yellow RCA connector) on the Sony yoke to the coressponding connector on the projector, similarly (and better quality) you should be able to do it with Svideo connector (small multipin socket). If you just want to get going any lead with an RCA plug on either end will do temporarily for composite video.

Sean.
    EDIT: excuse spelling - German keyboard is doing my head in......

Thanks so much Sean,

But I have the cable that is supplied with the projector (yellow RCA connector, but where does this connect to the Sony Davs300 as it only seems to have scart input for connecting?

Here are the pics:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Something simple like this shoud do the trick: http://www.aideonline.com/images/articles/pcontv/adapt.jpg

Will only cost a couple of quid from any electrical shop.

• Advertisement

Excellent,thanks Ciaran!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brilliant stuff, that means I can just use the svideo and connect it through this converter into the Sony

Thanks very,very much for the help!!!

Really , really appreciate it!

......as I will be setting up the projector on the roof next week (expect more questions...sorry)

Thanks again!

pics above of the back of the unit.

But definitely will try the converter you gave me the link to - that means I could connect the scart to the svideo on the projector - that is correct isn't it?

I'm not sure it will allow you to output Svideo from the Sony. Its not common that scart sockets are setup to allow Svideo to be put through them. This would require a more expensive converter.

There should be no problem getting composite from it though.

There should be no problem getting composite from it though

What does that mean? - do I still get the converter you recommended?

I assume the projector has a composite connector. Looks like this: http://graphics.x10.com/images10/pcback_compositeinput_150x1.jpg None of the sites you posted are really clear if it has one.

If it does that adapter should be able to take a composite signal from the scart socket on the DVD player and allow you to watch DVD's on the projector.

Yes it does thanks!!

Yes, I will get this converter tomorrow and revert back

Thanks very much for your help!!

Will have to post pics when I finally get this all set up!

Everything working brilliant now as I picked up one of the converters in Currys (only one open) and set it up through the svideo cable!

Thank you very much Ciaran500!!

Advertisement