Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why isn't ISS exclusively atheistic in outlook?

Options
  • 23-05-2005 1:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭

Please forgive me if I'm resurrecting a dead issue with this one, but........

I've only just joined ISS [nice to meeet you all :) ] and haven't heard the arguments for or against on this point (except the little blurb on the website). I would have thought that an organisation that holds science and rationality in such high esteem would have atheism as its default position.

I think the nice clear divide that the website places between the material "(the realm of science)" and non-material world doesn't actually exist.

Is it that ISS have more pressing (and admittedly, very important) fish to fry, where being openly atheistic hinders those agendas with the public? Or is there an ideological reason for not taking a position?

Are there many theists in ISS?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Speaking for myself, outright athiesm is as logically indefensible a position as outright theism, as there's as much incontrovertble evidence for god's non-existence, as there is for his/its existence (the nonsensical claims of holymen, mystics and other talkers-to-god notwithstanding). So, I put the question of god's existence in the same bracket as the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy and Dawkin's Mars-orbiting Teapot -- nice if they did exist, and that's about it. I'd imagine that most skeptics would fall into this category, though since nobody's asked recently, this may be incorrect.

Having said that, atheism, agnosticism and theism, by themselves, are really non-issues. What are far more important from a societal point-of-view are the political and institutional uses to which peoples' belief in god is put, and how these, together with most religion's creation of a link to an undefined something called 'morality', can be easily manipulated to serve a particular religion's own ends. These ends, as many have noted, don't usually stretch much past the goal of simply sustaining or propagating the institution of the religion itself, frequently requiring entirely unethical behaviour, though most religious people tend deny this rather obvious fact. All of *that* earthly nonsense is more than worthy of a skeptical glance, and we leave god, if he/it exists, to sort himself out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭KCF

robindch wrote:
    Speaking for myself, outright athiesm is as logically indefensible a position as outright theism, as there's as much incontrovertble evidence for god's non-existence, as there is for his/its existence (the nonsensical claims of holymen, mystics and other talkers-to-god notwithstanding). So, I put the question of god's existence in the same bracket as the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy and Dawkin's Mars-orbiting Teapot -- nice if they did exist, and that's about it. I'd imagine that most skeptics would fall into this category, though since nobody's asked recently, this may be incorrect.
    Personally, I agree with Robin. However, I doubt whether there really exists 'outright atheists' as described above. I'd guess that the vast majority of atheists would classify god in the box marked '12 dimensional bunnies' alongside santa claus, the tooth fairy and the other marvels of the human imagination. In general, however, I do think that atheism is the logical conclusion to any sensible application of Occam's razor to the question and should naturally be a 'working assumption' of anybody with a skeptical outlook.

Having said that, I do agree that there is no point at all in focusing on beliefs about unknowable things. It is much more important to address the practices that stem from these beliefs - particularly when a theistic assumption is used to try to enforce a certain behaviour on society at large, as is so often the case. In short, I've no problem in people believing in nonsense, but I have a big problem when they try to force me to act as if it were the truth.

From a strategic point of view too, it would probably not be a wise idea to focus on actively promoting atheism. I can see that clouding all of the other work that the group does due to the fact that such a large majority of the population are wedded to some type of theistic belief system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Yossie

Hi Robin. When you say outright atheist I take it you mean dogmatic atheism (which I wouldn’t subscribe to). I don’t think any sceptic worthy of the name can justifiably hold any dogmatic belief, since surely dogmatism and scepticism are oxymoronic (if that’s a word :confused: ). KCF makes this point too, I think.

But I don’t believe non-dogmatic atheism is as logically indefensible a position as (outright) theism [do we need the ‘outright’ there?]. Neither do I believe it to be a faith position; at least not in the way it is for theists. We do not always need faith to bridge the gap between proof and belief and a lack of absolute proof is no grounds for the suspension of belief, since we can still have overwhelming evidence for one explanation over another. Science using abduction, I believe, would suggest that the best explanation would be atheism, naturally to be review in light of substantive new evidence. So on this matter I’m closer to KCF’s position when he says atheism should naturally be the “'working assumption' of anybody with a skeptical outlook”.

On this basis, I do feel that the “Are Skeptics Anti-Religious?” section of the ISS website is a bit disingenuous. Since we are ………… really. I also think atheism should be honourably mentioned within the section, not as an article of faith but as a working assumption. Anyway……
    atheism, agnosticism and theism, by themselves, are really non-issues
    I do agree that there is no point at all in focusing on beliefs about unknowable things. It is much more important to address the practices that stem from these beliefs

I’m reassured that you both catalogue god in terms of evidence in the same bracket as the Easter bunny, orbiting teapots and their ilk. But I would like to make a case for the special treatment of god.

Firstly, I concede that the more urgent side of the religious debate is the one centred on people’s behaviour, particularly with the rise of state religious fundamentalism (not just in the US either :D ).

The reason belief in a god is special is that god uniquely gives “meaning” to things. Few people look up at the stars or down a microscope and are awe struck by the greatness of the Easter bunny. God gives meaning (perhaps purpose is a better word), he gives absolutes, and he gives permanents. It is this ‘meaning’ that is the lynchpin of irrational extrapolation to the weird and wonderful beliefs that a lot of people base their more erroneous behaviour on.

We see how the large organised religious churches in the west are shrinking but not the belief in god. Some of the most vicious attacks on Darwinism come from people who are willing to accept the science but not the lack of a god director that it implies, hence ‘intelligent design’. People seem to “need” for things to have meaning, perhaps because we ARE rational rather than not (or perhaps because of human arrogance – “life can’t be an accident”). Even scientists are not immune to this “need”; take Prof. Reveille in the Irish times as a prime example :mad: .

I, however, firmly (but not dogmatically) believe that science via evolution and the like shows the purposelessness of life. It is not until we come to terms with this fact and realise we must give life our own meanings that significant progress on a lot social/political fronts can be made. (Not that it’s a pre-requisite for improvement on any of these fronts.)

In the long run I think the cause of scepticism will be futile (over stating it perhaps :o ) if people aren’t weaned off the “need” to have an external meaning to existence. A big ask, I know. But if people no longer look outside for meaning the rational endeavour has a chance.

Basically, I believe god forms too big a foundation to irrational beliefs to be regarded in the same league as the Easter bunny or to be just ignored. I wouldn’t be interested in replacing the bread-and-butter stuff of ISS with an atheist campaign, but the “specialness” of the issue should be acknowledged.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

Yossie wrote:
    I would have thought that an organisation that holds science and rationality in such high esteem would have atheism as its default position.

You would have thought wrong then! The Roamn church holds science in high esteem and has adopted Greek rationality (on which I believe science is founded) many centuries ago via Thomas Acquinas.
    I think the nice clear divide that the website places between the material "(the realm of science)" and non-material world doesn't actually exist.

Actually it doesent exist in science either! I mean what exactly is a photon? do atoms exist? I haven't seen one. Have you? Or have you seen a representation of one? see where scientism leads you?
    Is it that ISS have more pressing (and admittedly, very important) fish to fry, where being openly atheistic hinders those agendas with the public? Or is there an ideological reason for not taking a position?

I don't see religion as a "fish to fry" nor do I view the philosophy of science as somehow morally superior to theology. As I see it there is not a big problem with religion, even if those religions are inherently silly.

I mean take the one in the general thread who believe in yogic flying and world peace. Silly ok. But they are not doing major harm. NB There are other philosophers of science who would disagree with me on this. Adherent might include Pinker or yer man with the Chair of Public Understanding of science Richard Dawkins. I once heard Dawkings say that the sexual and physical abuse by religious clergy was far less harmful than them being in education at all.

Anyway my stance would be silly stuff is not a problem it is the claims made by it and the pressurising for money etc.
    Are there many theists in ISS?

Don't know. don't think it is important to ISS. It is to me though. I do not view many established churches the same as "wacko" religions or fundamentalists (and I include Christian and Muslims and Jews in that catagory). I also do not see why churches in Ireland can be prevented doing what astrologers and tarot readers can do.

ISAW wrote:
    IO man .....

What does "IO" stand for/mean?

• Advertisement

ISAW: you were replying to my first posting only not the second where I think I laid out some of the case against religious belief, so I think you’re a little wide of the mark here.

Anyway, in response to your post…..
    ISAW
    The Roamn church holds science in high esteem and has adopted Greek rationality
    In the face of scientific reason the best religion can do, when it does not turn to fundamentalism, is reinterpret its scripture in allegorical terms and hide behind the claim that religious truths cannot be understood by mere humanity. Is that what you mean by high esteem for science?

Religion proclaims absolute incontrovertible truths that hold for all eternity – god exists and is good. Science uses verifiable evidence and dogma-free rational thought to inform its view of the world. Religion imposes limits on thought and comes in many different incompatible flavours. Science is consistent, self-correcting and will re-evaluate any theory in the presence of new evidence. Science says that no matter how much Latin you talk to it, bread does not turn into flesh and no one, regrettably, rises from the dead. AND as stated above science suggests there is no grand meaning behind it all. (Not views that the RC church holds in high esteem now are they?) If I may, let me accuse the church of being strictly à la Carte about science, despite their justified abhorrence of the practice. (If you don’t share the churches main (irrational) beliefs you ain’t Catholic/Muslim/Jewish etc.)
    ISAW
    many centuries ago via Thomas Acquinas.

Re: Tom A(c)quinas, wasn’t he the philosopher who got it wrong, just like; Boethius, Kant, Hume, Descartes, Plato, ……. Philosophy may be your strong point so don’t get me wrong, it has its role, but without science it can’t tell us very little about the nature of reality. Without science philosophy is bubble-gum for the brain or good pub conversation. (Perhaps I’m prejudice because I’m more in the “philosophers only interpret the world; the point is to change it” vein. :) )
    ISAW
    see where scientism leads you?

You seem to want to bracket me into scientism. I don’t think I belong in the bracket but I’d need to hear what you mean by “scientism”. I would even argue that science is anti-scientism since it has no starting absolutes, no article of faith; all of it can be questioned and tested. It is a dogma free meritocracy! I also think there is a distinct case that can be made for rationale enquiry (the unpinning of science) being used in all areas, history, sociology, etc (I think most areas do use it, despite the near past post-modern fad). Of course the counter argument to this is that mice don’t wear trousers and motorbikes don’t have windows. :p

I think science has proved itself (and goes on proving itself). It’s proved itself the most successful way of gleaming reliable knowledge about the world. It is unique in this endeavour. It has made any philosophy that is not consistent with it nonsense. If you do not accept the unique relationship that science has to truth about the universe (albeit an incomplete, inaccurate one) then I see little benefit in debating these points with you. (If you really don’t accept this relationship then there are better sources than me to help enlighten you AND what are you doing in the ISS? (Or is it what am I doing in the ISS?!)
    ISAW
    IO man what exactly is a photon?

Well a photon, off the top of my head, is :D ........a quantum of light energy that is emitted when an electron transition occurs from a higher to a lower energy level. The photon emitted will have a fixed measurable frequency for that transition, which determines the colour of the light (a fact that forms the basis of a large amount of analytical chemistry (spectroscopy) and also of astronomy, lasers, LEDs etc.).

In vision photons are reflected off an object after emission from a light bulb say and enter the eye where photosensitive cells detect them and allow our brain to “see” said object. No light = no photons = no vision. Of course if you have a better theory on the matter I’d be happy to hear it. Maybe you should even publish it in a refereed journal and we can all compare. Until then, since atoms and photon have been detected and conform well to the rest of the vast body of scientific knowledge I’m happy to take it on face value that they, or something with their properties and behaviours, exist.

You being sceptical of the existence of atoms, photon etc leads me to ask about the level of scepticism you apply to the world. When you sit down aren’t you concerned that the “atoms” in the chair will change the attitude they have had to your arse up ‘til now and will let it pass straight through? :) Do you suspect that someday your computer will turn into cabbage? I saw you somewhere quoting the laws of physics so I take it you don’t.

Is it a heresy to say, as a sceptic, that there is an objective physical reality?
    ISAW
    Or have you seen a representation of one?

Are you implying science is just one of many equal “representations” of reality? Please tell me you aren’t.

*I’ve gone off message with all that. Back to religion. Can it be benign?*

IMHO it is dogmatism that leads to moral contradictions, once you accept something as sacrosanct everything else must bend to that. How can you argue morals with someone who says, “Because the Bible/Koran/Torah says so!” or “It is the will of God/Allah!”? Science has through history aligned itself with the forces of progress and enlightenment, both in interpreting the natural world and in understanding social issues, and has led the way out of darkness. (A grandiose statement perhaps, but I believe an accurate one.)

*Sorry these posts are so bloody long! I’ll try keep’em shorter from now on and let other people have a go.*

Yossie wrote:
    What does "IO" stand for/mean?
    I didnt post IO AFAIK. where is it?

ISAW wrote:
    I didnt post IO AFAIK. where is it?

Found it and corrected it. it was supposed to be "I mean"

Yossie wrote:

In the face of scientific reason the best religion can do, when it does not turn to fundamentalism, is reinterpret its scripture in allegorical terms and hide behind the claim that religious truths cannot be understood by mere humanity. Is that what you mean by high esteem for science?

You are setting up a false dichotomy. Science is not something that "faces off" with religion. Indeed, as I pointed out, one can argue that the "reason" of science is no different form the reason of religion.
    Religion proclaims absolute incontrovertible truths that hold for all eternity

In a way it doesn't. Take the geocentric theory. Does science hold some things absolute? That matter exists? (or a mass energy constant?) Does not science holds absolute truths?
    god exists and is good.

some religions e.g. Buddism do not attest to the existance of God. Others do not hold that a God need be good. So all religions can not be tarred with your broad brushstrokes.
    Science uses verifiable evidence and dogma-free rational thought to inform its view of the world. Religion imposes limits on thought and comes in many different incompatible flavours.

Science is dogma free? How about existence of space and time? postulates of relativity? principles of cosmology? homogenity or isotropy? Science only moves from these in revolutions. I refer here to the "scientific revolutions" which Kuhn's philosophy refers to. Have you read "the Structure of Scientific Revolutions"? It is worth a read. Analogous theological and political constructs in the Church changed in the Reformation and counter Reformation.

Religion also uses evidence. It is ultimately based on faith but how are you so sure science is not? Furthermore religion can not repeat events to do with say Jesus because the person is not around. In another way religious can argue that he is continually around in spirit and physically in a religious service like communion.
    Science is consistent, self-correcting and will re-evaluate any theory in the presence of new evidence.

and Rome re-evaluating the Sun being at the centre was not so? Remember galileo's problem did not originate with the Church but with the peripathetic academics of the day!
    Science says that no matter how much Latin you talk to it, bread does not turn into flesh and no one, regrettably, rises from the dead.

Nor does religion! Transubstanciation is not accepted by Protestants and
    vernacular is common since the Reformation and in the roman church since Vatican II. Anyway isn't that a form of "re-evaluate any theory in the presence of new evidence"?
    AND as stated above science suggests there is no grand meaning behind it all.

Say you! There are those who do insist there are Grand Unified Theories. Isnt the insistance on GUT's a dogmatic position? after all there is only theory there and we havent measured what is suggested since we havent got particle accelerators capable of those energies. And before you say that we havent got them "yet" while we can build some e.g. the LHC coming on line we can not reach the energies of the early Universe. The current status is taken on fairt based on what we see now.

Furthermore the idea that "over the next hill or round the next bend science has the answer" to all our problems and religion economics morality law etc. can be laughed at is to me a form of scientism.

And to suggest that science insists everything is ultimatley meaningless requires some evidence on your part.
    (Not views that the RC church holds in high esteem now are they?)

Well the Church are quite adept in their knowledge of these issues. If you have a problem about there being some profound contradiction I suggest you contact the Vatican Observatory and I am sure some Astronomer who also is a cleric will put you right. The RC Church have held rationality in very high esteem. Have you ever read the philosophies of Wotila before he became Pope? If you want a more philosophical basis you might try Ratsinger form say about 15 years ago.

One can not look at Berkeley Hume and other Churchmen and claim their rationality was not held in esteem.
    If I may, let me accuse the church of being strictly a la Carte about science, despite their justified abhorrence of the practice.

Please tell me a field in science that a churchman did not practice in and please show how the Church abhorred that field. then you can move on to trying to prove your unsupported general point that any Church abhorred science.
    (If you dont share the churches main (irrational) beliefs you aint Catholic/Muslim/Jewish etc.)

And if you dont share the laws of thermodynamics and the cosmological principle what sort of a physicist are you? I would suggest a "heretic" physicist i.e. a crackpot. Ironically many clerical scientists oppose crackpots.
    Re: Tom A(c)quinas, wasn+//0-t he the philosopher who got it wrong, just like; Boethius, Kant, Hume, Descartes, Plato, +//3//Q-.

I don't know what you mean. what did he spicifically get wrong that you are referring to? Remember by the way that a world run by scientists, a scientocracy, would be a very sad place. And Acquinas also wrote about natural law and other things (see the Natural Law thread for a discussion of that) and not just about what we regard as science today. By the way Mendle Newton and others "got things wrong" in an imperical scientific sense but I don't understand your absolutist view that there is somehow a "right" view. have you not already suggested that science is only an approximate view which is corrected and revised as time goes on? Otherwise it is you who are being either contradictory or dogmatic in you suggestion that science can say someone "got it wrong" i.e. that "science is right".
    Philosophy may be your strong point so dont get me wrong, it has its role, but without science it cant tell us very little about the nature of reality.

You are missing the point. It is that science itself has a philosophy onuerlying it! One could even argue sever philosophies. It is not so absolutley certain and consistent as you seem to imagine. And parts of it are based on faith.
    Without science philosophy is bubble-gum for the brain or good pub conversation. (Perhaps Im prejudice because Im more in the philosophers only interpret the world; the point is to change it vein. :) )

Your quote from Marx Theses on Feuerbach, whose humanistic re-interpretation of Christianity in his book The Essence of Christianity had a big influence on the young Marx is quite telling.

One might go so far as to say that the young Marx's views on alienation, and on the pursuit of money and materialism have a strong religious undercurrent.

But Marx's wasn't saying that philosophers should change the world as opposed to trying to interpret it

Possibly no academic philosopher ever desired more desperately not merely to interpret the world, but to change it.

I would suggest you point to me one great scientists who was not a philosopher.
    You seem to want to bracket me into scientism. I dont think I belong in the bracket but I+//0-d need to hear what you mean by "scientism".

the skeptic dictionary would say that Scientism, in the strong sense, is the self-annihilating view that only scientific claims are meaningful, which is not a scientific claim and hence, if true, not meaningful. Thus, scientism is either false or meaningless. This view seems to have been held by Ludwig Wittgenstein in his Tractatus Logico-philosophicus (1922) when he said such things as "The totality of true propositions is the whole of natural science..." He later repudiated this view.

In the weak sense, scientism is the view that the methods of the natural sciences should be applied to any subject matter. This view is summed up nicely by Michael Shermer.

I was pointing in the dogmatic society run by scientists model.

I think science has proved itself (and goes on proving itself). It+//0-s proved itself the most successful way of gleaming reliable knowledge about the world.

Yes. And so what? Is it sufficient? don't scientists have to consider ethics morality and other issues not determined by science?
    It has made any philosophy that is not consistent with it nonsense. If you do not accept the unique relationship that science has to truth about the universe (albeit an incomplete, inaccurate one) then I see little benefit in debating these points with you. (If you really don+//0-t accept this relationship then there are better sources than me to help enlighten you AND what are you doing in the ISS? (Or is it what am I doing in the ISS?!)

I made this point at the founding meeting of ISS. It is the false dichotomy I referred to above. Religion is not opposed to science! I won't be drawn into a philosophical debate on what the truth is. there are different kinds of truth. Religion can respect how the Universe works as can societies. they can accept the best way to describe things are devised by science but that does not detract from the value of economics, law , religion etc.
    Well a photon, off the top of my head, is :D ........a quantum of light energy that is emitted ....

Just as the Bohr model of the atom explained all electromagnetism up to that point? But it wasn't correct was it? What is this "quantum of light energy"?
    Even Einstein couldn't say. Why do these packets of energy behave like waves in Young's slits when you can actually count the particles and see where they are going?

continued next post

... Maybe you should even publish it in a refereed journal and we can all compare. Until then, since atoms and photon have been detected and conform well to the rest of the vast body of scientific knowledge I+//0-m happy to take it on face value that they, or something with their properties and behaviours, exist.

I am not suggesting that reality does not exist. that is a philosophical argument. I do not doubt something is really there. But while the description is adaquate for the need to explain how we create technologies it is not logical and defies such simplistic definitions as you imagine. many many papers already exist on this topic Bohm, Aspect and others have produced results that defy current reasoning and explainations of reality.
    You being sceptical of the existence of atoms, photon etc leads me to ask about the level of scepticism you apply to the world. When you sit down aren+//0-t you concerned that the +//0-atoms+//0- in the chair will change the attitude they have had to your arse up +//0-til now and will let it pass straight through? :) Do you suspect that someday your computer will turn into cabbage? I saw you somewhere quoting the laws of physics so I take it you don+//0-t.

I won't get into personal insults and personal attacks. I asked you a question about your certainty in a single underlying philosophy of science. "Up your arse," is not a rational reply in my book.
    Is it a heresy to say, as a sceptic, that there is an objective physical reality?

i dealt with this above. I was not claiming there was not such a reality. Many scientists would disagree with me and say there is NO such reality. I was not claiming the world does not exiat. I was asking you how you are so certain of your model of the world and how you think this applies to all science. Matter of fact you are now embarking (again) on the very "we have the model" dogma which you accused the Church of doing.
    Are you implying science is just one of many equal +//0-representations+//0- of reality? Please tell me you aren+//0-t.

I am not. My last comment shows what I am asking you.
    *I+//0-ve gone off message with all that. Back to religion. Can it be benign?*

See above to a reply i.e. not ALL religions are.
    IMHO it is dogmatism that leads to moral contradictions, once you accept something as sacrosanct everything else must bend to that. How can you argue morals with someone who says, +//0-Because the Bible/Koran/Torah says so!+//0- or +//0-It is the will of God/Allah!+//0-? Science has through history aligned itself with the forces of progress and enlightenment, both in interpreting the natural world and in understanding social issues, and has led the way out of darkness. (A grandiose statement perhaps, but I believe an accurate one.)

But you believe that the mass energy of the Universe is constant? that is a recent idea. Do you believe it? AS to social issues how does science inform you whether abortion is wrong or whether ownership of property is fair?

• Advertisement

I suppose the point I am getting to is that atheism or scientism are as reasonable as theism. ISS should really be concerned with claims based on these positions. I do not think it is worthwhile getting into discussions such as: "Look at those (stupid/silly arsed/ illinformed) (atheists/believers)" It is when "those people" ask for money or make claims that are harmful that we should react.

Hi ISAW. Just want to resolve one quick issue.

Re the

[“You being sceptical of the existence of atoms, photon etc leads me to ask about the level of scepticism you apply to the world. When you sit down aren’t you concerned that the “atoms” in the chair will change the attitude they have had to your arse up ‘til now and will let it pass straight through? :) Do you suspect that someday your computer will turn into cabbage? I saw you somewhere quoting the laws of physics so I take it you don’t.]

remark.

And the
    ISAW
    I won't get into personal insults and personal attacks. I asked you a question about your certainty in a single underlying philosophy of science. "Up your arse," is not a rational reply in my book.

In short, I was attempting to make a joke. The smiley face was supposed to imply that. I had thought from your earlier reference to me as “IO man” (since corrected) that we were working closer to the vernacular than we actually were.

I think, having reread my comments, that you might be just a little thin skinned about it, since I don’t think I came close to saying “up your arse” - as you stated.

Having said that, can I take this opportunity to say that I did not, and still don’t, want to insult you. I’m sorry if it read to you, or anybody else as a personal insult/attack. It honestly was just an attempt at some comic relief; perhaps a poor attempt. I’ll be more careful in future. (Tone is something I find it hard to convey in text and I’m v. unfamiliar with posting etiquette.)

Busy day, so responses to the rest of your post to follow

All the best,

Yossie

PS We’ll have to give up on writing these epics.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Obni

ISAW wrote:
    "Up your arse," is not a rational reply in my book.
    Then try J. Peerman Nesselrod's book 'Clinical proctology' , available from Amazon.com.

(Sorry ISAW, couldn't resist it! :D )

Fascinating thread so far, keep up the good work!

Yossie wrote:
    Hi ISAW. Just want to resolve one quick issue.

Re the

When you sit down aren’t you concerned that the “atoms” in the chair will change the attitude they have had to your arse up ‘til now and will let it pass straight through? :)

Didnt see the joke. I see what you meant now but humor isnt funny third time around whan you analyse it is it?
    Do you suspect that someday your computer will turn into cabbage? I saw you somewhere quoting the laws of physics so I take it you don’t[/I].]

Ironically, I made a comment similar to the above. I think it was here or in paranormal forum. the point was made by Randi when he spoke in the RDS. He asked all the people who had checked his seat to raise their hands. Nobody did. His point was that we dont check everything nor do we have to. WE assume the chair will be okay and skepticism does not mean having to verify everything we see and checking every peer review journal artical is actually is the original (though mind you if doing reasearch one should actually find the primary source ir repeat the experiment). Oddly I DID check my seat before I sat down!
    I think, having reread my comments, that you might be just a little thin skinned about it, since I don’t think I came close to saying “up your arse” - as you stated.

see! SEE! hes doing it again!
    Having said that, can I take this opportunity to say ...

forget it. I probably took you up wrong. I probably should have paid more attention.

I was also going to continue this but my chair just collapsed so I am also busy elsewhere. Now where is that rubber glove?

Obni wrote:

Fascinating thread so far, keep up the good work!

I havent frequented it for a year buy usenets sci.philosophy.meta is a fairly decent place to discuss the philosophy of science and maybe that and sci.skeptic could be in the resources.

> I, however, firmly (but not dogmatically) believe that science
    > via evolution and the like shows the purposelessness of life.
    > In the long run I think the cause of scepticism will be futile
    > (over stating it perhaps ) if people aren’t weaned off the
    > “need” to have an external meaning to existence. A big ask,
    > I know. But if people no longer look outside for meaning the
    > rational endeavour has a chance.

<...slight delay in replying...>

'Purposeless' is a strong word to use here, and it would be useful to prod it to see if could give up some of its own meaning. From the genetic/biological sciences point of view, life is, of course, extraordinarily purposeful in its desire to propagate itself and to create environments within which it can flourish. Those good people who don't subscribe to this view must instead resort to more traditional explanations, such as the sudden declaration of the existence of an external, but curiously undetectable, reality from which life can then be inferred to have a meaning -- the obviously circular nature of this argument then being heatedly denied.

I do agree with you that skepticism has a distinctly uphill struggle against such irrationality. But even such arid questions as "what is the meaning of meaning?", dropped here or there, occasionally does make the odd person pause for thought and that's always satisfying to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Obni

Coming from the "we're just a bunch of monkeys on a rock" school of thought, I was wondering just what makes an atheist a dogmatic or outright atheist? I don't believe in God or that we are anything other than purely corporal beings. Surely that is the entire dogma on which atheism is based?
    Do I qualify?

The only sort of atheist you can be is an outright one. Atheism is an attribute of a person. That attribute deals with the interface between that person's intellect and the subject of the existence of God. Only if that person dismisses the existence of God can they be called an atheist.

I'll admit the exact concatenation of circumstances that causes the coming into existence of we happy monkeys and the rock we're perched on has me a wee bit stumped, but that's the limit of my doubt. I don't think it's acceptable to claim that if we can't explain how we got here, and that as God is as good a solution to the mystery as anything else, we may as well believe in God as not believe in God. How many other things have people attributed to God until they could be shown to be otherwise?

*Be warned: When I said the last time that I was going to keep it short - I lied :p *

I think to a certain degree ISAW you are nitpicking around some of my arguments :cool: .

In response to your nitpick about transubstantiation - Catholicism is the religion I’m most familiar with, hence my habit of assuming I’m arguing against it, but my main points still stand.

My central (and in your view overly simplistic) thesis is that atheism is superior to theism (and agnosticism). From what I can see (if I understand you correctly) you have three main points against this:

1. Science is no different from religion in having to take a leap of faith/accept dogma.
    ISAW
    Religion also uses evidence. It is ultimately based on faith but how are you so sure science is not?

You are missing the point. It is that science itself has a philosophy underlying it! One could even argue several philosophies. It is not so absolutley certain and consistent as you seem to imagine. And parts of it are based on faith.

2. You can use rational thought/evidence and end up with a theistic conclusion.
    ISAW
    Religion also uses evidence.

Indeed, as I pointed out, one can argue that the "reason" of science is no different form the reason of religion.

Religion can respect how the Universe works as can societies. they can accept the best way to describe things are devised by science but that does not detract from the value of economics, law , religion etc.

3. Atheism/science cannot provide moral direction.
    ISAW
    AS to social issues how does science inform you whether abortion is wrong or whether ownership of property is fair?

don't scientists have to consider ethics morality and other issues not determined by science?
    (I do apologise if I’m wide of the mark on any of these.)

Against your 1st point:
    All religious/spiritual beliefs, with or without a god, (to include your nitpick about Buddhism) are dogmatic to a greater or lesser extent. As you stated all religious beliefs are ultimately based on a leap of faith. I would say blind faith. You argue that science too must take something on faith.

You say science has an underlying philosophy (not the same thing as the philosophies of science), I would agree it does, although I prefer to say worldview. These underlying worldviews/philosophies are the foundation upon which explanations of the universe etc are built. They are the assumptions that we use to start getting a handle on what happens in reality (which you accept exists). It’s the nature of this worldview that differentiates rational enquiry (i.e. science) from dogmatic belief (i.e. religion). Let me explain once again why.

Let us suppose that after many long, hard months in the lab and a lot of research you realise that atoms do not actually exist. (I chose atoms to carry on our previous use of them as example. I could have chosen something that is thought not to exist either.) Now you prove your idea about atoms by observing that if they did exist the world would behave in a different way than it actually does in reality. However, as people will always point out, you have made assumptions about the experiment and also about what the results mean. You of course will justify your assumptions with a proof, who’s assumptions then require another proof and off we go again. Eventually and rationally you must accept that there are assumption that you cannot prove. There is no other choice. Everybody ends here when faced with a infinite series of “But why?"s.

I believe the example above to be true for everybody using a rational approach to prove/explain something about reality whether they be scientist, atheist or theist. In this, they are all equal.

However, the difference between them comes when we examine the assumptions that are made and see if they are reasonable. Are these necessary assumptions “a leap of faith”? How many assumptions is it reasonable to make? How fixed should any of these assumptions be? What happens when evidence contradicts one of the assumptions; which gives way? How do we test these assumptions and check our new theories? What do we do when we have two or more equally valid theories? Importantly, are they the right assumptions? It is the answer to these questions that put science on one side and dogmatic(religious) belief on the other and give you that dichotomy you want!

Science assumes the minimum to start with, no assumption being sacrosanct. It then examines how things behave in reality based on these assumptions and will re-evaluate founding assumptions in light of evidence. No unnecessary assumptions are made. Importantly science makes predictions that can be used to check its theories. Over time some of these theories have prove themselves to mirror reality very well and are considered facts (i.e. data or conclusions confirmed to such an extent it would be reasonable to offer temporary agreement). These are your

Religious belief on the other hand does hold fixed i.e. dogma-based assumptions, whether that be, a god existing or some other spiritual belief. All evidence must be viewed only in light of this assumption and cannot shake that primary assumption.

I could outline a scenario where I and scientists-in-general would, through empirical evidence and rational argument, give up any of our scientific beliefs, including the one’s you mentioned.
    ISAW
    Science is dogma free? How about existence of space and time? postulates of relativity? principles of cosmology? homogenity or isotropy?

But you believe that the mass energy of the Universe is constant? that is a recent idea. Do you believe it?
    Tell me what evidence would convince you (and other theists) to give up your belief in god. I would suspect none since they are based on faith. That is your dichotomy!

It’s interesting that you mention Kuhn and his “revolutions”, since I come across him much more through social constructionists (mis)quoting him, to show that scientific knowledge is only a construct, than through philosophers of science. I’m not sure but I think most philosophers of science have backed away from the more radical claims purported to be in Kuhn’s theory of “paradigm shift”.
    I also wonder about your “other kinds of truth”, is it that natural law debate about objective moral realities? I’ll comment on this in point 3.

Against your 2nd point:
    I grant you philosophy can be rational (I never said it couldn’t). I have great respect for philosophy and it certainly has added immensely to the processes of rational enquiry. (To my shame I don’t know enough philosophy.) However, I don’t think it can stand-alone without reference to reality.

Descartes was being rational when he came up with his Cartesian dichotomy to prove god. [You’ve made dichotomy my new word J] But Rene was also wrong. Newton killed Cartesianism off with gravity (there were other problems too, I know). (A fact Newton was never happy with, but his theory was bigger than him.) Even with rational thought we ultimately arrive back at the starting point of faith. And on that, here’s an interesting quote of Tom Aquinas’s from Wikidedia:

Perhaps the pinnacle of organized exposition of theological dogma is the Roman Catholic Summa Theologica by St. Thomas Aquinas, who proposes this relationship between faith and objection: "If our opponent believes nothing of divine revelation, there is no longer any means of proving the articles of faith by reasoning, but only of answering his objections — if he has any — against faith".

I thus refer you to my first point again.
    ISAW
    I suggest you contact the Vatican Observatory and I am sure some Astronomer who also is a cleric will put you right. The RC Church have held rationality in very high esteem.
    Of course religion uses rational thought, evidence and even astronomy but they are “like a giants robe upon a dwarfish thief”. Just like some CAM practitioners etc. use “science” as a cloak to hide their underlying foundations that are based on unsupported mystical beliefs; the church uses rational thought to hide the fact that it is grounded on dogmatic faith only.
    ISAW
    the skeptic dictionary would say that Scientism, in the strong sense, is the self-annihilating view that only scientific claims are meaningful, which is not a scientific claim and hence, if true, not meaningful. Thus, scientism is either false or meaningless. This view seems to have been held by Ludwig Wittgenstein in his Tractatus Logico-philosophicus (1922)
    Strong scientism and the Cretan paradox; Wittgenstein? Do we dare enter the minefield that is language? I’d sooner not. I don't hold to Strong Scientism. [Wasn’t Wittgenstein the beery swine who was just as schloshed as Schlegel?]

As regard language though may I quote Chief Wiggum - “Behold, the rarest of the rare, the mythological two-headed hound born with only one head.” “Ooh, and here, out of the mists of history, the legendary Esquilax, the horse with the head of a rabbit, and the body of a rabbit”. The joke being that it IS just a dog (with only one head) and it IS just a rabbit. The point being, language (and philosophy) not consistent with reality is lost due to its extreme malleability to any argument. Although, both can still be interesting hence the “bubble-gum” remark, they can also be heavy on sophistry and rhetoric. (And, as was suggested to you on a different tread, belong in a different forum.) Let’s keep it real!

Cont.......

Re: Am I in the scientism bracket?
    That weak definition by Michael Shermer of scientism I, and probably most sceptics, could live with. i.e.

Scientism is a scientific worldview that encompasses natural explanations for all phenomena, eschews supernatural and paranormal speculations, and embraces empiricism and reason as the twin pillars of a philosophy of life appropriate for an Age of Science (Shermer 2002).

What I don’t like about (theistic) philosophy is how it can be used to intellectually intimidate people into positions such as agnosticism or get them to join the “that which is without remedy show be without regard”-brigade, when its lynchpin is still just a question of faith no matter how many names you throw at it.

As regards theists being sceptics; I don’t have much of problem with it but to quote the late great Joe Strummer “I believe in this - and it's been tested by research, he who “sleeps with” nuns will later join the church.”

Quote myself about religion being the basis for ………
    Yossie
    Basically, I believe god forms too big a foundation to irrational beliefs to be regarded in the same league as the Easter bunny or to be just ignored. I wouldn’t be interested in replacing the bread-and-butter stuff of ISS with an atheist campaign, but the “specialness” of the issue should be acknowledged.

Against your 3rd point:
    I didn’t suggest that …
    ISAW
    ..... and religion economics morality law etc. can be laughed at is to me a form of scientism.

I’d have to be a fanatic to believe that!

Far from it – I believe they are of utmost important to us, as a society.

This is part of the - “People are more concerned with ethics than electrons and love than lasers.” - debate. “Science is good for understanding the universe and providing technology; Religion is good for morals and meaning.” It an interesting aside to the debate we are having here and I’ve plenty to say on it, but perhaps I will address them in the “Natural Law” thread. What I would say here is that we’ve left the strict evidence and rational thought debate.

Some miscellaneous points:
    ISAW
    There are those who do insist there are Grand Unified Theories.
    “Insist”? Don’t you mean there are those who say that the evidence and trend would suggest to them that a GUT exists? One of the most powerful assets of science is its ability to be ambiguity tolerant, to wait until more evidence in favour of one theory or another shows, until eventual something becomes a fact.
    ISAW
    Furthermore religion can not repeat events to do with say Jesus because the person is not around.
    Nothing can. That's why we use histroical analysis. Historical analysis is a part of the rational enquiry community and I fully support it (and you in your debates with the Holocaust deniers!) Although I say science everywhere, something doesn’t have to be a natural science to be free of dogma and have a healthy respect for evidence and rational thought, like most of historical analysis does. As do most academic areas of enquiry.
    ISAW
    Remember by the way that a world run by scientists, a scientocracy, would be a very sad place.
    I think you’re a little hard on our scientist colleagues here, since...
    ISAW
    I would suggest you point to me one great scientists who was not a philosopher.

I agree, but some we also musicians, artists, writers, comedians, etc. :) NB I don’t want a world run by scientists either!

Re: religion abhorrence of science. I’m afraid that was a mistake due to a combination of my bad grammar and inarticulateness. What I was saying was the church was justified in their abhorrence of à la Carteism – not “the church abhors science”. I’ll make that change now.

Purposelessness I do think is suggested by the fact that…
    Obni
    "we're just a bunch of monkeys on a rock".
    We have to give life its meaning is what I think, (I'm not a nihilist).

Aside:
    How many people were at the founding of the ISS? How much influence did you have with your point about “false dichotomy”? Was there many opposed to your view? How many were atheistic in their leanings? Feel free not to answer these questions. But if any ISS members could answer theses I’d appreciate it.

I think I’m nearly all tapped out for arguments in this debate, with the exception of the morality question, but just want to reiterate…….
    Yossie
    I, however, firmly (but not dogmatically) believe that science via evolution and the like shows the purposelessness of life. It is not until we come to terms with this fact and realise we must give life our own meanings that significant progress on a lot social/political fronts can be made. (Not that it’s a pre-requisite for improvement on any of these fronts.)

Now back to the war against the purveyors of nonsense!

> what makes an atheist a dogmatic or outright atheist? I don't
    > believe in God or that we are anything other than purely
    > corporal beings. Surely that is the entire dogma on which
    > atheism is based?

Well, breaking the god-problem down into four categories of human:

1. Theist (believes that god exists)
    2. Atheist (doesn't believe that god exists)
    3. Agnostic (doesn't know whether god exists)
    4. Apatheist (?) (doesn't really care whether god exists)

I use the term 'outright athiest' to describe (2) above, specifically, somebody who'll try and spread the viewpoint that god doesn't exist, and to differentiate it from (4). Personally, I'm about halfway between (3) and (4). Others will differ, as taste dictates.

> A word run by scientists [...] would be a very sad place

Can't imagine that it would be much worse than what's been produced by the current crop of spookmerchants!

• Advertisement

Yossie wrote:

1. 2. 3.
    these are fair enough but I would not phrase them exactly that way.
    Against your 1st point:
    All religious/spiritual beliefs, with or without a god, (to include your nitpick about Buddhism) are dogmatic to a greater or lesser extent.

Heavy words. On the theological side ask a Unitarian. On the science side if you believe there is no scientific dogma then I refer you to the Second Law of thermodynamics. There are also those who adhere to Relitivity, Quantum Chromo dynamics etc. without ultimate proof.
    As you stated all religious beliefs are ultimately based on a leap of faith. I would say blind faith. You argue that science too must take something on faith.

You might say blind fairh but Acquinas and others would argue otherwise. Don't forget that the same rationality that science is based on i.e. that of Ancient Greece is the rationality adopted by the Roman Church.
    Its the nature of this worldview that differentiates rational enquiry (i.e. science) from dogmatic belief (i.e. religion). Let me explain once again why.

Now you prove your idea about atoms by observing that if they did exist the world would behave in a different way than it actually does in reality. ... Everybody ends here when faced with a infinite series of "But why?"s.

Well you could propose an experiment to test the current theory of the atom and disprove it. Others can then repeat the experiment. That has been done! The Bohr model is only a model we teach in school and is not accepted as what atoms "really" are by particle physicists. As far as I recall the orbitals should decay and electrons spiral into the Nucleus.

Your "turtles all the way down" theory presupposes the different perceptions of the universe in what you term "assumptions". As I see it arguing about such is futile and similar to Berkley's proof of God i.e. that things only exist because we perceive them so when we are not around God must be doing it. the problem with this is it cant be disproved so some would argue it isnt for science to argue about.

Now to take a religious person Kepler. He believed that the paths of planets were each inscribed inside a perfect solid. Proving this would give him evidence of God designing the Universe. When he eventually got Brache's observations he determined he was wrong. He believed in the rationality of science. It didn't syop him believing in God however.

However, the difference between them comes when we examine the assumptions that are made and see if they are reasonable....snip questions... It is the answer to these questions that put science on one side and dogmatic(religious) belief on the other and give you that dichotomy you want!

First you are outlining a dogma for science with your above questions. Second as I pointed out, the Church uses the same logic and reason.
    Science assumes the minimum to start with, no assumption being sacrosanct. It then ... Importantly science makes predictions that can be used to check its theories. Over time some of these theories have prove themselves to mirror reality very well and are considered facts (i.e. data or conclusions confirmed to such an extent it would be reasonable to offer temporary agreement). These are your

Religious belief on the other hand does hold fixed i.e. dogma-based assumptions, whether that be, a god existing or some other spiritual belief.

As does science! e.g. that the universe had a beginning. By the way not so long ago science mainly believed that the Universe didnt have a beginning and was in a steady state. Similarly Religion (and science) believed that The Earth was at the centre of the Universe (well the solar system in a sence we are at the center of the universe as is everywhere else). Both science and religion changed this dogma.
    All evidence must be viewed only in light of this assumption and cannot shake that primary assumption.

If the assumption is that there is a God or there are scientific "laws" to the Universe then okay. If the assumption is of the like that the earth is the centre of the Universe than it can and does change.
    I could outline a scenario where I and scientists-in-general would, through empirical evidence and rational argument, give up any of our scientific beliefs, including the one+//0-s you mentioned.

and I could outline events in history where scientists and religions did the same.
    Tell me what evidence would convince you (and other theists) to give up your belief in god. I would suspect none since they are based on faith. That is your dichotomy!

Tell me what would convince you to give up your belief in a fundamental theory of science. That is your problem. This isnt a board to discuss personal religious belief. So what fundamentals do you think science has which is a superior rational to a belief in God?
    Its interesting that you mention Kuhn and his revolutions, since I come across him much more through social constructionists (mis)quoting him, to show that scientific knowledge is only a construct, than through philosophers of science. Im not sure but I think most philosophers of science have backed away from the more radical claims purported to be in Kuhns theory of +//0-paradigm shift+//0-.

Constructivism (which I detest but cant ultimately disprove) has spread from education theory into sociology and is become a destroyer of words. Many people (science historians, philosophers, educational theorists) have jumped into this camp.
    I also wonder about your +//0-other kinds of truth+//0-, is it that natural law debate about objective moral realities? I+//0-ll comment on this in point 3.

It is a theological argument again non scientific and not suited to this forum. But let us say one look at the world around them and sees in it evidence of nature. One can say that this may lead to framing a law against child abuse or murder or respect for living things. One might not be able to derive these laws from first scientific principles.
    Against your 2nd point:
    I grant you philosophy can be rational (I never said it couldn+//0-t). I have great respect for philosophy and it certainly has added immensely to the processes of rational enquiry. (To my shame I don+//0-t know enough philosophy.) However, I don+//0-t think it can stand-alone without reference to reality.

I suppose I was referring to Theology really. You know enough to state what you did. Science can't stand alone without reference to the world either. that is what divides exclusively theoretical physicists and genetecists from those (and they may be the same people I seem to remember "I am the destroyer of Worlds") who say we should have serious problems about the bomb and cloning.
    Descartes was being rational when he came up with his Cartesian dichotomy to prove god. [You+//0-ve made dichotomy my new word J] But Rene was also wrong. Newton killed Cartesianism off with gravity (there were other problems too, I know). (A fact Newton was never happy with, but his theory was bigger than him.) Even with rational thought we ultimately arrive back at the starting point of faith.

Decartes was excommunicated not because he disproved God but because he did it without reference to the Church, hence removing the necessity for The Vatican and hierarchy to interpret Divine Inspiration. Bad political move!
    Newton studied for the priesthood but was in fact a heretic. Very brilliant man. Quite odd actually very odd in his beliefs which shows you can seperate the two, but not a very nice man in my opinion.
    And on that, here+//0-s an interesting quote of Tom Aquinas+//0-s from Wikidedia:

Perhaps the pinnacle of organized exposition of theological dogma is the Roman Catholic Summa Theologica by St. Thomas Aquinas, who proposes this relationship between faith and objection: "If our opponent believes nothing of divine revelation, there is no longer any means of proving the articles of faith by reasoning, but only of answering his objections +//0- if he has any +//0- against faith".

I thus refer you to my first point again.

He is noly saying that reasoning can move you along the way but in the end you either believe or you don't. the "leap" of faith may be a "great leap" or a small step. quantifing it isnt important here. the fact is that belief is still needed. One can not prove God for example.

And I refer you to the fact that the Grand Unified Theory cant be proved nor can the Unified field theory.
    Of course religion uses rational thought, evidence and even astronomy but they are +//0-like a giants robe upon a dwarfish thief+//0-. Just like some CAM practitioners etc. use +//0-science+//0- as a cloak to hide their underlying foundations that are based on unsupported mystical beliefs; the church uses rational thought to hide the fact that it is grounded on dogmatic faith only.

As is science to some degree. I thing you do not see very far because your distance vision may be perturbed due to the fact that you have sunk into the footsteps of Giants.
    Strong scientism and the Cretan paradox; Wittgenstein? Do we dare enter the minefield that is language?

Nope. I began above by stating just that.
    I don't hold to Strong Scientism. [Wasn+//0-t Wittgenstein the beery swine who was just as schloshed as Schlegel?]

And who stated "I drink therefore I am"?
    Let+//0-s keep it real!

i.e lets depend only on what can be measured and agreed on? Wiich is what this forum is about.

robindch wrote:
    > what makes an atheist a dogmatic or outright atheist? I don't
    > believe in God or that we are anything other than purely
    > corporal beings. Surely that is the entire dogma on which
    > atheism is based?

Well, breaking the god-problem down into four categories of human:

1. Theist (believes that god exists)
    2. Atheist (doesn't believe that god exists)
    3. Agnostic (doesn't know whether god exists)
    4. Apatheist (?) (doesn't really care whether god exists)

I use the term 'outright athiest' to describe (2) above, specifically, somebody who'll try and spread the viewpoint that god doesn't exist, and to differentiate it from (4). Personally, I'm about halfway between (3) and (4). Others will differ, as taste dictates.

I would change 2 to
    2. (believe God does not exist)
    since 2 and 3 can make up cases which might not be mutually exclusive.

3 as it is phrased also includes 1 and 2.
    I would sugest "does not disbelieve" or does not subscribe to 1 or 2. i.e. neither believes nor disbelieves i.e. defies logic (well to a believe anyway)
    > A word run by scientists [...] would be a very sad place

Can't imagine that it would be much worse than what's been produced by the current crop of spookmerchants!

I think a world run by pseudo scientists would be much worse but I dont put all my faith in science. I do think there is a need for morality etc. even if those supplying it happen to also be scientists. In fact I would think that religions should have to listen to and have members who are scientists. But not pseudo scientists.

> I dont put all my faith in science. I do think there is a
    > need for morality etc.

The fallacious notion that science* and what's commonly referred to as morality** are mutually exclusive is one of the towering, and certainly the most insidious and dishonest, 'achievements' of organized religion.

In fact, this declaration of exclusivity (or, less abstractedly, the religious hijacking of 'decency') is precisely wrong, because an accurate knowledge and understanding of how the world works is likely to make one more co-operative, rather than less. The recent interest in the study of co-operative systems is a case in point -- simple things like The Prisoners' Dilemma, for example, particularly in its iterated form, which is elegantly explained on this excellent page.

If you've not come across these concepts before, then it's worth taking a trawl through the pages above because they explain, in detail, how to analyze a certain type of simple problem which can easily be abstracted to a more general, and grounded, understanding of how co-operative behaviour can be considered 'beneficial' to oneself, in addition to one's colleagues and one's environment, which is surely what 'morality' is supposed to be?

- robin.

(*) Personally, I prefer the word 'knowledge' over 'science', as there are fewer negative connotations, particularly from people who've little appreciation of either.

(**) Morality is a largely meaningless word, in the sense that it means what you want it to mean; the word 'ethical' is almost, but not quite, as useless. Though 'utilitarianistic' comes close, there's no precise word in English for 'behaviour likely to lead to a general increase in happiness', so lacking this, I use 'co-operative' instead.

robindch wrote:
    isaw=> I dont put all my faith in science. I do think there is a
    > need for morality etc.

The fallacious notion that science* and what's commonly referred to as morality** are mutually exclusive is one of the towering, and certainly the most insidious and dishonest, 'achievements' of organized religion.
    I will accept *"knowledge" and **"ethics" as you suggested. I didnt state they were mutually exclusive but science alone can not derive moral judgements from first principles.
    In fact, this declaration of exclusivity (or, less abstractedly, the religious hijacking of 'decency')
    is precisely wrong, because an accurate knowledge and understanding of how the world works is likely to make one more co-operative, rather than less.

You have not read what I have written. I did mention that a belief in god is not necessary in order to argue that a moral guidance must come from outside science i.e. not derivable from scientific principles alone. coming from outside does not mean scientists can not provide it so they are not excluded.
    The recent interest in the study of co-operative systems is a case in point -- simple things like The Prisoners' Dilemma, for example, particularly in its iterated form, which is elegantly explained on

Havent looked at teh page but the problem is the same as "The Undiscovered Egg" IIR. The paradox is not explained by logic AFAIK.
    If you've not come across these concepts before, then it's worth taking a trawl through the pages above because they explain, in detail, how to analyze a certain type of simple problem which can easily be abstracted to a more general, and grounded, understanding of how co-operative behaviour can be considered 'beneficial' to oneself, in addition to one's colleagues and one's environment, which is surely what 'morality' is supposed to be?

Not if that co operative behaviour is doing something morally wrong e.g. co operating with the Nazi's for everyone in a new Germany's mutual benefit at the expense of a minority.

Many democratic decisions also actually work to the detriment of a minority. Is building a motorway over a historic/archeological site, or even a halting site, good for society for example.

> I didnt state they were mutually exclusive

Apologies -- I understood that this was what you meant by the sentence I quoted above.

> The paradox is not explained by logic AFAIK.

The prisoner's dilemma isn't a paradox (other than very superficially) and it is explained by logic -- the point of it is to show that by narrowly considering one's own interests, one can in fact be acting against one's wider interests. This is perhaps easier to see in the iterated form of the problem, where co-operative behaviour becomes an obvious solution rather quickly.

> but science can not derive moral judgements
    > from first principles.

I would propose the opposite -- that a sound knowledge of the world and how it works can only make it easier, rather than more difficult, to determine what to do in any given situation. Or am I making some hidden assumption which breaks my argument?

I think that part of the problem here arises from the meaning of the word 'moral' which I regard as functionally meaningless (or more precisely, with an accurate meaning for oneself only) -- can you define exactly what you mean by it?

Dear ISAW,

IMHO you haven’t made your case that science is dogmatic, yet. Somehow you want people to consider that believing in the 2nd law of Theromdynamics is an act of dogma.
    ISAW
    On the science side if you believe there is no scientific dogma then I refer you to the Second Law of thermodynamics.
    As I stated earlier one would only accept the law as a fact (i.e. data or conclusions confirmed to such an extent it would be reasonable to offer temporary agreement).
    For those of you interested; here’s the simple version of the law.

Entropy (a measure of disorder) is always increasing.

Or

According to Woody Allen “Sooner or later everything turns to sh!t:) - a bit like this debate perhaps:(
    The scientific establishment would take a lot of convincing to drop this law but as I already stated they would give it up if the evidence were there, how is that then dogma?

I repeat - under what condition would a theist give up their faith. None? "None" would indicate a dogma to me!

You ask about the fundamental theory of science.
    ISAW
    Tell me what would convince you to give up your belief in a fundamental theory of science. That is your problem.
    I think, in fact, this is the crux of your problem.

Science is not an ever-increasing body of scientific facts/theories to explain the world, which one must accept dogmatically. It is primarily a methodology, the best process that we use to investigate the world. Within it EVERYTHING is up for revision/question, hence no dogma! (Unless you are redefining dogma.)

When you ask what would convince me to give up my belief in a fundamental theory of science (if there is such a thing) you are asking me what would it take for me to give up my belief in rationality, which is impossible to answer rationally!

PS (By science I mean all dogma-free rational enquiry, this can include the humanities etc.)

Yossie wrote:
    Dear ISAW,

IMHO you haven+//0-t made your case that science is dogmatic, yet. Somehow you want people to consider that believing in the 2nd law of Theromdynamics is an act of dogma.
    The scientific establishment would take a lot of convincing to drop this law but as I already stated they would give it up if the evidence were there, how is that then dogma?
    and the Church would give up insisting that the earth was the centre of the solar system when enough evidence was presented. But it WAS dogma before that. As was Newton's explaination of the Universe. As is QCD but science itself says that QCD or General Relativity are not sufficient to explain the Universe.
    I repeat - under what condition would a theist give up their faith. None? "None" would indicate a dogma to me!

But as I pointed out that is just like saying "under what conditions would a scientists give up believing in science?" Does such a question seem odd to you? Furthermore I am sure there are instances where theists give up believing and scientheists begin to believe in God. For example some people might well have doubts about religion and our special place should alien civilizations be discovered.
    Science is not an ever-increasing body of scientific facts/theories to explain the world, which one must accept dogmatically.
    It is both and some would contend more. Science is not just doing science.
    It is primarily a methodology, the best process that we use to investigate the world. Within it EVERYTHING is up for revision/question, hence no dogma! (Unless you are redefining dogma.)

But you include the phrase "within it". Now first of all I am not so sure it is internally consistent. But second I have already pointed out that it is where it relates to ouotside of it that requires recognition and diorection from outside. By saying "within science" you box off the argument. Not alone that but religion also questions and revises dogma.
    When you ask what would convince me to give up my belief in a fundamental theory of science (if there is such a thing) you are asking me what would it take for me to give up my belief in rationality, which is impossible to answer rationally!

Indeed. And it is similarly odd to ask someone with a spiritual belief to deny they are spiritual.
    PS (By science I mean all dogma-free rational enquiry, this can include the humanities etc.)

But only within the sphere of scientific investigation. What does science tell you is the value of a human life? How does science arrive at this answer? On what principle is it based? ACan you repeat the process and apply that to all individuals? How about the scientific value of an Ice Cream cone?

ISAW
    Indeed. And it is similarly odd to ask someone with a spiritual belief to deny they are spiritual.
    Replace “spiritual” and “spiritual” in your sentence with “divining” and “a diviner”, or with “healing hands” and “a healer” or even “irrational” and “irrational”. It is the same as saying “I’m an irrational so you can’t ask rational questions of my irrational beliefs”. Any nutcase can argue that and successfully defend it by this logic.

What you are advocating with this argument ultimately is an extreme relativist position. One can hold any beliefs they want, you just have to prefix it with “I’m a ……” then all powers of rationality are useless.

The point is that they are all irrational beliefs that you cannot justify rationally. I argue we can judge them though, rationally with science (i.e. with dogma free rational enquiry).

Under what conditions would a scientists give up believing in science?” is NOT the same thing, as “under what condition would a theist give up their faith?”. In the first incidence one is asking scientists to reject, NOT scientific knowledge which they would give up, given the right evidence, but the actual rationality upon which all knowledge is based i.e. all lights go out and the baby’s thrown out with the bath water. In the second incidence one is asking the theist to rationally justify belief in a god (or other) i.e. no baby, just bath water is thrown out.
    ISAW
    But you include the phrase "within it".
    Your “within” argument is a mute point; replace “within” by “using” (REMEMBER: when I say science I mean the process of dogma free rational enquiry.) And unless you are proposing a different method of investigation then please accept dogma-free rational enquiry as the only way of gaining knowledge of the world or are you saying there is a better way to judge an argument than the dogma-free rationality of science?

Re the ice-cream etc:
    It is you who are setting up a false dichotomy here: that there are areas, which are outside the probing of rational enquiry, like spirituality, morals etc. I’ve loads to say on the morality/direction-from-outside question but I’m saving it for a different thread. What I will say here is - "What is the world?" "Everything!" "What is outside the world?" "Nothing!"

Aside:
    I can understand why you might have difficulty in accepting some of this. You might even have given over a large portion of your life to theism and it is hard to accept that the beliefs you so earnestly hold are irrational. Hence you will make any argument in their defence. Marx makes a good case about religion being the heart of a heartless world etc. But you are trying to defend the irrational with a rational argument and I don’t thinks it works. Keep your theism, but give up claiming it to be based on rationality.

Yossie wrote:

What you are advocating with this argument ultimately is an extreme relativist position.

I dont subscribe to naive relativism and it isnt twhat I am argueing.
    One can hold any beliefs they want, you just have to prefix it with +//0-I+//0-m a then all powers of rationality are useless.

Would that include believers in "atoms" "strings" "unified field theory" or theories where the conditions can not be re created in any lab e.g. just after the Big Bang?
    The point is that they are all irrational beliefs that you cannot justify rationally. I argue we can judge them though, rationally with science (i.e. with dogma free rational enquiry).

And I argue that Christianity is steeped in the same rationality science is based in and that science also has faith based beliefs within it.

Even the most formal science Mathenmmatics has a proof that it is either insufficient or incomplete.
    +//0-Under what conditions would a scientists give up believing in science?+//0- is NOT the same thing, as +//0-under what condition would a theist give up their faith?+//0-.

No the words are sifferent but it is "like" asking it as I did.
    In the first incidence one is asking scientists to reject, NOT scientific knowledge which they would give up, given the right evidence, but the actual rationality upon which all knowledge is based i.e. all lights go out and the baby+//0-s thrown out with the bath water. In the second incidence one is asking the theist to rationally justify belief in a god (or other) i.e. no baby, just bath water is thrown out.

Or one could claim that Christainity has the same rational methods. One can also consider theology as a rational method and having belief in God.
    Your +//0-within+//0- argument is a mute point; replace +//0-within+//0- by +//0-using+//0- (REMEMBER: when I say science I mean the process of dogma free rational enquiry.)

But this presupposes science is dogma free. I think I have already dealt with the idea that science holds blliefs as well. we are going around in circles here.

You: Science is a method and a body of knowledge which does not presuppose god.

Me: Religion uses the same logic but has beliefs in god just as science believes in things.

You: No science does not believe in anything it can disprove.

Me: Neither does religion.

You:But the process used does not pre suppose God.

Me: and the process theology used doesnt either.

You: But religious people believe in god.

Me: So do scientists and non religious scientists believe in things other than god.
    And unless you are proposing a different method of investigation then please accept dogma-free rational enquiry as the only way of gaining knowledge of the world or are you saying there is a better way to judge an argument than the dogma-free rationality of science?

it is the only/best way of gaining "scientific" knowledge of the world.
    It isn't necessarily the beat way to judge things. the logic of an argument can be assessed but as you are well aware some logical arguments are futile and some are stupid even when they are consistent. Logic and reason isnt everything.
    What I will say here is - "What is the world?" "Everything!" "What is outside the world?" "Nothing!"

What about parallel universe theory?
    And could you tell me where in the world you can measure my value in the taste of a good wine?
    Aside:
    I can understand why you might have difficulty in accepting some of this. You might even have given over a large portion of your life to theism and it is hard to accept that the beliefs you so earnestly hold are irrational.

Since you see to have one I would then ask you to provide a logical proof of the non existance of God.
    Hence you will make any argument in their defence.

I am not aware where I have been defending religion. I was answering the question as to why atheism and theism were just as acceptable for ISS membership.

Matter of fact I have devoted much of my life to the philosophy of Science and to science education.
    Marx makes a good case about religion being the heart of a heartless world

Is that Karl Marx? But was he a scientist? How come you are going outside of science to make your point. I thought you were claiming that it was the greatest way of understanding the world? so why are you quoting a politiical philosopher? surely you have some logical proof you can provide to support Marx? Marx was an atheist by the way. Which only supports my earlier point that one need not be a theist to make cogient arguments which do not rely on science.
    etc. But you are trying to defend the irrational with a rational argument and I don+//0-t thinks it works. Keep your theism, but give up claiming it to be based on rationality.

It is grounded in rationality just as science is. Whether I believe it or not is not an issue. One may believe in God and also follow logical and reasonable argument. Belief in God does not negate the argument if it is logical and reasonable. Fundamentalism such as "it is true because God said so" is not following reasoned debate but that depends on how you know god said so. And that brings us to a debate on natural laws of the universe (see other thread on that).
    And science also contains beliefs about the reality of things in the universe. Little of science is fundamental like set theory or number theory. It is not so "joined up" as you seem to suggest. People happen to believe that there is more to humanity than can be explained away by random genetic shuffles and mathematics. people believe there is a spiritual aspect to us and a mental one which is not explained by cognitive science. But it does not mean they are not scientists and do not follow the scientific method. they do not have to be atheists to do science or to accept science. Science and religion are not at war with each other . this is the false dichotomy you constantly rehearse.

• Advertisement

Yossie wrote:
    Please forgive me if I'm resurrecting a dead issue with this one, but........

It would seem that you also are influenced by religion. apparently you believe in ressurection of the dead! :)

Advertisement