Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

XP Pro SP2 Problem - Apps appear to have closed but....

• 23-05-2005 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭

My PC was crawling last week so I formatted it and reinstalled Windows XP Pro with Integrated SP2...

Now when I close certain Apps, they appear to have closed but are still displaying in Task Manger, if I try to end task them it doesn't work.

Also if this happens and I try to run another app, the other app won't run! it just sits in task manager processes and does not open or display. :mad: :mad:

I've scanned for Viruses (Norton & Panda) and Spyware (Ad-aware, S&D, HiJackThis, MSbetaSpyware thingy) and have the all clear. Nothing bizarre in Services or MSConfig Startup :confused:

It seems to happen a lot when I run file-sharing apps (which are spy/adware free) although it is not exclusive to file-sharing apps

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

cheers,
    /Kone :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭Board@Work

I know its a pain but wipe and reinstall again..

Otherwise make sure your windows is uptodate. I can't think whatit might be if your clean of viruses etc..

Try uninstalling and reinstalling affected programs to determine if it a corrupted installation of one particular program!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

I really really do not want to go through the whole reinstall process again. I know it's clean and I know it's up to date.

I guess my only option is to start uninstalling and reinstalling app by app...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭Board@Work

I would uninstall the share programs first. one by one. test after every uninstall to make sure they aren't to blame..

Otherwise Reinstall i'm afraid. Its the only way of making sure to sort all software problems where your not certain where the problem lies..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

try PROCEXP on www.sysinternals.com it should close stuff that taskmgr doesn't
    also there is PSKILL - I think it's in pstools - that will stop just about any app in its tracks, course it will stop windows you pick the wrong app/service

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

try PROCEXP on www.sysinternals.com it should close stuff that taskmgr doesn't
    also there is PSKILL - I think it's in pstools - that will stop just about any app in its tracks, course it will stop windows you pick the wrong app/service

Nice one mate, I'll give that a blast, I have got a downloading PC now so I am going to remove all sharing apps from my main box.

/K

• Advertisement
Advertisement