Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Back from Thailand

• 23-05-2005 2:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

Just back today from 2 excellent weeks training in Fairtex Muay Thai outside bangkok.

It was an excellent training experience to say the least. The camp is live in.
    2 training sessions a day 7am and 3pm with running before the sessions.
    The rounds were 6 minutes in lenght and I had 2 trainers looking after me. Both former Lumpini champs with well over 100 fights each.

It was very tough training in the heat and humidity. energy would go so fast. I never sweated as much in my life. very interesting too to see how the thai trained. You should see those guys lashing 10 full power kicks into the pads.

The facility was excellent with pool and gym. though it was a bit off the beaten track and it was only in by 2nd week did I find out there was a big shopping mall about 20 mins in a taxi away complete with Starbucks Coffee and an American Steak House. (after a week of thai food it sure tasted great!)

Made friends with the thai trainers, and we used to share a few beer each evening in this kind of road side food stall across the road which doubled as the "local" and at 50cent a beer you could not go wrong!

Highly recommened experince and I defo will be heading back before end of year.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

how much did it cost roughly speaking over all millionaire? do they expect a certain standard? i've seen these things for different martial arts. they look fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭Millionaire

They take any standard. and train you from there. The place I was in is where Jack Osbourne trained , so Ozzy Osbourne came to visit. If JAck Osbourne can train there , anyone can! HA HA

Also they say if Mike Tyson goes K1 he will be based at the camp.

Prices vary from 20 dollars a day if you share a room to much more if you want private room with air con. You get 2 meals a day for that. so if you justed wanted to train and keep cost down , it can be quite reasonable. though I took a few days off training to do some tourist stuff and a bit of partying.

There was some MMA guy there from France too called Mattieau Riccico who did some serious cage fights from what I was told. he was there to improve his game too.

Got to go to Lumpini Stadium to see one the the guys fight and they let me stand in the corner which was a brilliant experience too.

some serious people go there like world champs. some like me went to learn Thai. some go to loose weight. even.

The trainers all ex Lumpini Champs were very humble and though would train you hard, kept and element of fun and lighted hearted attitude. there was no one strutting around, which was cool and refreshing for the martial arts scene.

Flights approx 700 euro ish depending on time of year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

Heard from a bloke I know that it was the sh1t alright. He said he went over expecting to be treated as a tourist, but got the best of everything. Sounds like a cool time man, wish I had the time/ money.

Although he did say that the food took the expressway through him :D

Anyone going to the Thai night in the Stadium this Saturday?

I struggled with the food myself! lets say when I found Starbucks and a steak house I was a very very happy man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I was watching a documentary on a guy who went over.. The training is intense over there but you really work your game.. Guys at the age of 15 there chopping down fully grown men. I'd love to go over and experience it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Also, the guy you are thinking of is probably Mathias Riccio. http://www.sherdog.com/fightfinder/fightfinder.asp?fighterID=1344

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

I'll be there Roper!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭paddyc

i'll be there as well

fight night fully sold out.. and there wont be any tickets sold on the night, apologies for this, cant let any one in ont he night.... fire regulations etc etc

there also a shop there on the night selling thai gear, dvds, shorts etc etc

paddy

paddyc wrote:
    fight night fully sold out.. and there wont be any tickets sold on the night,

F*ck nuts anyway. My mate was supposed to get to Mullens and get tickets and the pr1ck never made it. So it looks like I WON'T be there, unless anyone has two tickets for sale????????? :)
    I'll be there Roper!
    Hmmm, last time I sat next to you I nearly got hit by a coin........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭paddyc

Roper

i sorry mate but there simply no tickets going for this.. I got rid of my last few last night and even lads from belfast are onto me looking tickets and I having to turn them away... and I know them 10 years so, sorry this time if you aint got a ticket there is honestly very little point in coming... cos you'll have a few thai lads doing the door.... and you dont wanna mess with them :mad:

any ways on a more positive note our next show will eb in a hotel... capacity about 600 or so, and I am sure there will be plenty of seats at that one...

thanks for the support

paddy

• Advertisement

No probs Paddy, it's a good trek across for me to be turned down so I won't be chancing my arm anyway, I know how those Thai lads can be ;) . Good to see a sell out, and that it's outgrowing the venue! :D

Talk to you soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

That sounds very cool.
    Was looking at a Shaolin school like this before.
    Where did you get the information from? Google would be a big help, but im a bit rushed at the moment, so any sites you can throw up or however you found out about it would be greatly appreciated. Id do that instead of a holiday with some of the lads.

i was at Fairtex Bangkok, you can stay there which is good but then again it is on the very edge o bangkok miles from anything, so it can be a wee bit dull at night time i u like a few beers after a tough day in the ring! ha ha

thought they are opening a major training centre in Pattaya later in the year (pattaya is Great fun!)

also in Pattaya there is Sathathrong (spelling wrong, something like that) which is a famous camp but you have to stay in a hotel as they have no accomodation.

Tonys Gym in Pattaya also has training. and there is some other camp a amous one up in Chang Mai up north. Look on googla there is tons of camps.

hope that helps. Yes It is definately a great trip to do. I am not a ring fighter so Mon - thurs I trained hard and a few beers at night and on the weekend I partied. so its a nice mix to have on a holiday and 2 sessions a day in 35 degrees humidity , the hang over is gone after the 2nd round! LOL!

Advertisement