Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Big discounts on new Rovers

Options
  • 23-05-2005 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭

In yesterday's paper I noticed an ad from a Rover dealer selling new Rover 75's (list price 29k) for 23.5k. Nice enough saving there, nearly a 20% discount. But on Top Gear last night they were discussing the possibility of 30%, 40% or maybe even bigger discounts off new Rovers in the UK. Quite tempting. The only Rover I'd bother with would be the 75 and would look for for at least a 30% discount. Probably unlikely to get this in Ireland where there are undoubtedly still some mugs who'll walk into Rover dealers and offer full list price :eek: UK buyers are generally much more clued in about these things.

Resale values/depreciation will probably be bad as Rovers will be hard to sell on now. So it'd only be sensible if you planned to keep the car for a good few years and run it into the ground. Also, you'd have to be very sure about the situation with warranties etc.

I pity the people who bought 05 Rovers just prior to the company collasping :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,400 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Agree with most of your post, BrianD3. No warranty from either MG Rover or the dealer can be taken for granted so you might as well presume there is no warranty at all

If I wanted to go for a new 75, I'd aim for a discount closer to 40%. Let the dealers sweat for another month or two first before you could get away with that though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

any word on who will take over the spares or can I assume that with some models you can use Honda parts?

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭edmund_f

from what i can remember of the program, the 75 has either a BMW engine, or a K-series engine, both very common and should be easy to service?

(loved the toyota 5-a-side car football)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

75 aint a K series

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭edmund_f

"Both 1.8 variants – the standard 118bhp 1.8l K-Series engine, and a 148bhp turbo version "

from

http://www.sundayherald.com/43692

aug '04, i know a bit old, but i imagine they are still using the same engine.

also know someone who personally got a k-series replaced in his 75 (a 01 reg i think), the K was also used in the original Lotus Elise, and is in common useage across the rover range.

From what i heard, personal opinion alert, the k series is pretty much useless after about 100k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

BrianD3 wrote:
    In yesterday's paper I noticed an ad from a Rover dealer selling new Rover 75's (list price 29k) for 23.5k. Nice enough saving there, nearly a 20% discount. But on Top Gear last night they were discussing the possibility of 30%, 40% or maybe even bigger discounts off new Rovers in the UK. Quite tempting. The only Rover I'd bother with would be the 75 and would look for for at least a 30% discount. Probably unlikely to get this in Ireland where there are undoubtedly still some mugs who'll walk into Rover dealers and offer full list price :eek: UK buyers are generally much more clued in about these things.

Resale values/depreciation will probably be bad as Rovers will be hard to sell on now. So it'd only be sensible if you planned to keep the car for a good few years and run it into the ground. Also, you'd have to be very sure about the situation with warranties etc.

I pity the people who bought 05 Rovers just prior to the company collasping :eek:

I would be carefull here not to be lead into a false economy. While you may get a 30% discount on a new one add up the cost of huge depreciation (car will be worth less than 50% of its original value the min you take it out the door plus no warrenty which means that any repairs/replacements will cost you a fortune. How long will you be waiting for parts, will they even be available in 2 or 3 years?

Definately not a car that you plan to only hold for 2 or 3 years. If it is a lemon then you are stuck with a potental money pit. My advice is look beyond the initial saving here.

These dealers are not giving them away for the good of their health.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

edmund_f wrote:
    "Both 1.8 variants – the standard 118bhp 1.8l K-Series engine, and a 148bhp turbo version "

from

http://www.sundayherald.com/43692

aug '04, i know a bit old, but i imagine they are still using the same engine.

also know someone who personally got a k-series replaced in his 75 (a 01 reg i think), the K was also used in the original Lotus Elise, and is in common useage across the rover range.

From what i heard, personal opinion alert, the k series is pretty much useless after about 100k

Sorry, my mistake I was totally thrown off and I was thinking of the T-Series.

The K-Series is a very nice engine to work with. I bought a 2ltr turbo T-Series few weeks back, it will be replacing my 1.4 k series after my exams... shall be an interesting weekend project

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

The pops looking at getting a top spec Rover 75 for a nice discounted price soon.
    Either the ROVER 75 2.5 V6 CONNOISSEUR SE ELITE or the ROVER 75 2.5 V6 CONTEMPORARY SE.
    Anybody been in to try and get a discount?
    Both retail for €48k - any chance of finding either of these even in a dealership? Should be easy enough to get 12-13k off that I'd think, but just looking on carzone, a dealer wants €38k for the 1.8t contempory, which is 42k new :s

Why not buy a year old model for half the price?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

You find the dealers will still be able to sell them to "old men" who haven't seen the news/read the papers etc and want to trade in their 3/5 year old Rover against a new one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Company car shenanigans - cant buy a used car or something

Company car is fine I would hate to pay €38k of my own money on a Rover. The company can claim the huge depreciation off as a tax write off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

JohnCleary wrote:
    I bought a 2ltr turbo T-Series few weeks back, it will be replacing my 1.4 k series after my exams... shall be an interesting weekend project
    Where did you get the engine and what are you putting it in?

Also, what about selling your existing engine to this guy?

Advertisement