Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to go out in Galway??

Options
  • 23-05-2005 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

Heading to Galway this weekend for interview and staying over Friday night. Where are the best places to go to on a Friday night in Galway City?? I was there 2 years ago for my 21st and loved the place but can't remember the names of the places we went to.

Just looking for somewhere to go for a few drinks and then somewhere to go dancing afterwards!! (I'm 22 btw).

Thanks. :)

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

pubs i like are roisin dubh,bizaar and sally longs
    clubs in galway are cuba cp's,gpo,boo radleys-depends what ya like same for pubs

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Ruffty^

Avoid gpo on fridays; Anima gave me some advice about it that saved me a very uncomfortable embarrassing experience

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Ruffty^ wrote:
    Avoid gpo on fridays; Anima gave me some advice about it that saved me a very uncomfortable embarrassing experience
    WHY?
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭TheLedge

Avoid the GPO most nights, unless of course smelly squalid sh*tholes are your thing.

Depends what youre after of course.

Mainstream club: CP/Cuba

Upmarket: Halo (pretentious, but 'classy')

I honestly wouldn't recommend anywhere else. But thats a matter of personal taste.

Galway has some good late bars these days. Try the Living Room (slightly pretentious) or the Cellar.

The Front Door is great for pre-club drinks! Wedged though....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭crang

Bazaar or Cellar and then on to Halo or CP. Only two half decent nightclubs in Galway ... agreed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

crang wrote:
    Bazaar or Cellar and then on to Halo or CP. Only two half decent nightclubs in Galway ... agreed

Haven't been to Halo. Went to CP's on the Saturday when i was there last and it was such a meat market I don't think I'll be going there.

Heard about Halo, where abouts is that? Went to Cuba on the Friday night and that was ok. They had a good band playing upstairs but only heard one song! Went to The Living Room (?) and that was so packed I think it was illegal!! Also went to Fibber McGees (a hole in my opinion) and some hotel place beside Eyrne Square.

What's that place up at The Radisson like? Heard conflicting stories. That it's good and then that it's really sleazy place?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

crap tbh ....only good time ever there was bell x1 concert(what a mistake though) and the engineering ball apart from that i hated the regular nights

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Contrary to what most people say.. I'd rate both the GPO and Cuba.

Also, if there are about four or five of ye... had to Paddy's pub opposite Cuba. They won't know what hit them! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Ruffty^

ARGINITE wrote:
    WHY?

In the words of the politician; "No comment"

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Halo is about 5 doors up (towards shop street) from CPs door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

i went to Halo a few weeks ago, absolutely hated the place. I think you cant go wrong with cuba or cp's (yes, i know its a meat market but its still good) and i like the gpo, it's an alright spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭poker_face

The clubs in galwat are absolute sh*te. The people in them are generally very uptight and unfriendly. This is a stark contrast to the pubs in galway which are known around ireland (and further afield) to be great craic. Especially the older less pretensious one's, they always have a friendly warm atmosphere. Front door, taafe's, tigh neactain's, macswiggans and freeneys are great pubs but there are many more. As far as clubs go, it depends on what you're looking for.

Cuba has two floors which play two different styles of music every night. It often has some very good bands but it has very few seats, it's always packed to the rim and not near enuf bar staff. Basically it's not much fun if you're in any way sober.

CP's is a meat market although it can be good craic and it's very well laid out.

Warwick (salthill) decent klub around christmas, always a big galway crowd there.

Halo, only been there once, classy kind of place.

Karma, average, typical type of niteklub, a lot of models go there

GPO, it depends on what nite you go, use to be a gr8 spot but it has lost a lot of its popularity.

boo radleys/radisson, these are very much the under-aged places to go

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

To be honest the Club scene in Galway is rubbish.
    I lived there all my life having recently moved to Cork.
    Halo is the only club i would consider going too..
    GPO was a decent place about 10 years ago but it's shocking now..
    Karma is as it always has been rubbish (the alley with a different name)
    CP's is where every farmer and his check shirt comes in to find a wife..(stinks too)
    Warwick has always been a dump but the crowd always had a galway crowd there on a Sat night so normally you'd meet loads you knew ..thats gone now too ...so avoid like the plague.
    Cuba is alright i suppose if your in the 16-24 group at least it has the live music..more like a late bar downstairs so that's pretty cool.

Having said that the Club scene here in Cork is the worst i've ever seen.
    But the pub scene is amazing :D
    oh and the ladies in Cork arn't up themselves haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭chuci

Larianne wrote:
    Haven't been to Halo. Went to CP's on the Saturday when i was there last and it was such a meat market I don't think I'll be going there.

Heard about Halo, where abouts is that? Went to Cuba on the Friday night and that was ok. They had a good band playing upstairs but only heard one song! Went to The Living Room (?) and that was so packed I think it was illegal!! Also went to Fibber McGees (a hole in my opinion) and some hotel place beside Eyrne Square.

What's that place up at The Radisson like? Heard conflicting stories. That it's good and then that it's really sleazy place?

you spound like your from galway heading there this weekend fora "romantic" holiday this weekend just wondering anywhere thet is a little cosy but still like a laugh att the same time. i know dont ask for much anywhere nice and cheap to eat too?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Thai Garden is really nice in the Spanish arch and pretty cheap to eat in ..
    Oh and bring back vagabonds !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

CPs on Wednesday night! Smelled of Puke and $hit..... My mate is one of the bouncers there, so I later found out that the reason the place smelled of poo. Was because some one has smeared the said excrement on the walls of the Ladies toilets.... Nice huh?

And we wonder what this world is coming to? :D Faeces spreading antics of today's youth... Normally, I would be pretty shocked... but CPs is such a meat market anyway, surprisingly, it's the least i'd expect of it! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 StevieK5000

Rusheen Bay - Just hope its not wet....

Advertisement