Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scott Parker to Everton - £6M

• 23-05-2005 3:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭

Looks like Scott Parker is close to agreeing a deal to bring him to Goodison. Would be a good signing I reckon:

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0400evertonfc/0100news/tm_objectid=15548764%26method=full%26siteid=50061%26headline=parker-in-talk-with-blues-name_page.html
    Parker in talk with Blues
    May 23 2005
    EXCLUSIVE by David Prentice, Liverpool Echo

EVERTON are poised to make Scott Parker their second big signing of the summer.

The Blues are close to agreement with Chelsea over a proposed £6m transfer.

The player himself is keen to come to Goodison Park and the only sticking point could be negotiating his salary.

Parker was believed to have tripled his wages when he left Charlton Athletic for Stamford Bridge in January 2004.

David Moyes is keen to abolish the mega bucks pay deals which have crippled the club in recent years, but he is a huge admirer of the England midfielder and will seek to push a deal through this week.

Moyes was in Denmark last night casting his eye over a Brondby match, but was back in England today looking to add to last week's £3.5m capture of Simon Davies from Spurs.

The Blues remain confident of landing Parker and do not intend to stop their spending just yet.

Meanwhile, Davies was expected on Merseyside today to undergo a medical.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

Great move for Everton :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

My favourite player of all-time, great move for him. Hope its true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

I really hope its true would be a great signing for the toffees but i bet you they will get him cheaper then 6million and also i can see them trying to sign andy johnson soon

I could see it being a loan deal as Parker is still young and it would be a good way for Jose to get a good look at him, Scott to get his full wage packet every week and get regular first-team (and hopefully Champions league) football.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭case n basket

I thought Parker was an awesome player at Charlton, and I thought moving to Chelsea was an incredibly stupid career move, which it looks like being currently. IIRC Charlton were fourth in the league when he left, which was largely down to him. Great all-action midfielder, I rated him higher than Gerrard in that bracket until he went to the Blues.

Everton could be a great move for him, super replacement for Gravesen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I can see a loan deal being there too, I can see a lot of loan deals from Chelsea.
    But I'd imagine he wants to move on after a disappointing time at Chelsea with no chance, but he is a possible future replacement for Makelele.

Everton need another midfielder, i.e. Parker, and a forward who is quality, i.e. Johnson, who can hold up the ball really well.
    I think Beatie has been a terrible signing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Good signing for Everton, I had hopes that Villa might have gone for him but I think any sane player would definitely be picking Everton over Villa these days... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

what a signing he would be. how much did chelski pay for him? i thought he was an excellent player.

id also expect charlton to show an interest. if they had any money they would usrely try lure him back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

i'd love to see him go to old trafford tbh!!! a great player to replace roy keane!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

chelsea paid 10 million from what i can remember. I think the lure of champions league football and a regular starting position is what everton have over charlton at the moment...

I still have the VHS of the best of his tackles from 2003-2004 when he won PFA Young Player of the Season and I will get around to encoding and uploading it at some stage. The guy is an absolute rock, no holds barred tackles. Definitely the best tackler in the Premier League and an amazing dribbler and long range shooter too, if anyone recalls his dribbles vs Leeds and Southampton in 2002-2003 and his two wonderful strikes against Southampton in 2003-2004.

I really can't rate him highly enough. Plus I own the jersey he wore for Charlton vs Chelski in 2002! Got a Chelsea jersey just to get his name on it, I'm a sick obsessed so and so, I know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

what would people think if he went to man united after failing at chelsea? and i use the term failing lightly as he was hardly given a chance.

So long as he gets regular first team football he will shine. As a replacement for Roy Keane would be perfect for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

parker would be a good signing for any team. but i reckon everton would be best suited going after a player like geremi to plug the gap left by graveson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

A good chance of starting every game would be enough alone for him I think. The CL will be a major bonus though for him..

I have always really liked Parker and even said before I would like him to be part of any deal if Gerard went to Chelsea this summer.

At 6 million he is a big bargain and he will go well at Everton and Everton will do well because of him. Should sufficiently fill the hole that Gravesen left anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    My favourite player of all-time, great move for him. Hope its true.

Ah come on now, are you smoking cow manure?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

he was good in the McDonalds ad too. That alone should stick a million on his price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

what would people think if he went to man united after failing at chelsea? and i use the term failing lightly as he was hardly given a chance.

I really rate Parker so I would love to see him go to United. He didn't get a chance at Chelsea but did enough at Charlton to convince me that he could be a very good player. I.m happy to see him go to Everton as If he resumes from where he left off at Charlton I could see united move for him in a year as keanes replacement . If he stays at Chelsea I don't believe they would sell him to United..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭sleepwalker

how many games has he played for chelsea ? can barely remember what he even looks like at this stage. he was an idiot for moving to Chelsea though especially halfway through a season, everton is a good chance to get back into the England setup though. Im suprised Liverpool arent going after him to replace Hamann since it looks like Hargreaves isnt going anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭SteM

I think the lure of champions league football and a regular starting position is what everton have over charlton at the moment...

That and the fact that he left Charlton in bad circumstances. I don't think him and Curbishley are on speaking terms atm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I don't want Parker. Too average.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Good player in a average team, might suite Everton,not a top three team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

from de indo

Everton facing competition for Scott Parker's signature
    12:45 Tuesday May 24th 2005

Everton are facing competition from a number of other Premiership clubs in the race to sign Chelsea midfielder Scott Parker.

The Merseysiders are planning a £6m bid for the 24-year-old and remain favourites to secure his services this summer.

However, Aston Villa, Newcastle, Birmingham and Tottenham are also hoping to make offers and Parker himself has apparently yet to make up his mind about which club he would like to join.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Badabing wrote:
    Good player in a average team, might suite Everton,not a top three team.

Give it up will ya...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

el rabitos wrote:
    parker would be a good signing for any team. but i reckon everton would be best suited going after a player like geremi to plug the gap left by graveson.

IF we get him, he'll replace Carsley in the holding role in midfield I imagine. Why people think Graveson is a defensive midfielder i'll never know. he was rubbish at it, which Real are finding to there cost, he was sold as DM since that's what Real wanted I think. Parker >> Geremi IMO

I hope we sign him, we'ed have a pretty good midfield with Arteta, Davies, Cahill and Parker, and er, Kilbane I suppose.

theCzar wrote:
    IF we get him, he'll replace Carsley in the holding role in midfield I imagine. Why people think Graveson is a defensive midfielder i'll never know. he was rubbish at it, which Real are finding to there cost, he was sold as DM since that's what Real wanted I think. Parker >> Geremi IMO

I hope we sign him, we'ed have a pretty good midfield with Arteta, Davies, Cahill and Parker, and er, Kilbane I suppose.

Yeah gravesen stood out this year for Everton as he was allowed to play a more attacking role... thats what he's best at to be honest.

Yes, he would be a great addition and it will bring midfield depth to our squad. Arteta, Davies, Cahill, Parker, Carsley, Osman, Kilbando.... not bad at all...

one thing that worries me though is that these midfielders basically mean we have to play 4-5-1, and assuming our record signing is our first choice forward, i don't think it suits him, not nearly as well as Benty.

theCzar wrote:
    one thing that worries me though is that these midfielders basically mean we have to play 4-5-1, and assuming our record signing is our first choice forward, i don't think it suits him, not nearly as well as Benty.
    Not necessarily... I think it gives him better options to play a 4-4-2. If you have better quality midfielders you can play with less of them. Kilbane-Arteta-Parker-Davies would be a young fit midfield with 2 up front. It would mean that we would have a lot more options as there is Cahill, Bent, Osman, Carsley as well who can play midfiled.

It will allow a variery of formations to form... this is one thing we didn't really have a choice in this season...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Yeh, it is giving the option of the 4-5-1.
    Man Utd and Chelsea play a 4-3-3, which switches to a 4-5-1 for parts of the game, then a 4-4-2 for bits aswell.
    It allows different approachs and a higher quality of play which is what Everton need.

I think playing 4-4-2 means not playing our best team, e.g. dropping Cahill for Bent, who is a good player, and has a good season, but I still prefer tiny tim, the blue kangeroo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

theCzar wrote:
    I think playing 4-4-2 means not playing our best team, e.g. dropping Cahill for Bent, who is a good player, and has a good season, but I still prefer tiny tim, the blue kangeroo.
    I'd expect a striker to be bought in the summer. Robbie Keane is the most likely.

eirebhoy wrote:
    I'd expect a striker to be bought in the summer. Robbie Keane is the most likely.

So do I, not sure if I want Keano, undoubted ability, but I'm not sure he works hard enough. We've also been linked with Vassell and Belamy, wait and see.

In Moyes We Trust.

well here's the bid for another stiker... great signing if he would come....

I totally forgot about him, but I think that he likes birmingham.. you never know though:

Link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/e/everton/4582617.stm

Fassell would be good alright, another couple of players and I back us to win the premier next season!
    With Alan Stubbs and David Weir still not having given their decision on new contract offers, he is also on the lookout for central defensive cover.

From http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0400evertonfc/0100news/tm_objectid=15560767%26method=full%26siteid=50061%26headline=moyes%2dputs%2d%2dpound%2d4m%2dstriker%2dforssell%2don%2dhis%2dsummer%2dshopping%2dwish%2dlist-name_page.html

We're in need of a good Center back, while we're shelling out all this cash. There was an article on the mirror's website about a 8-10mil bid for Andrade, but I'd say that's totally out of someone arse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

yous need to ban beattie from going to macdonals for breakfest, lucnh and dinner.

yous need to ban beattie from going to macdonals for breakfest, lucnh and dinner.
    ???

He's not overweight by any means... He had a long lay-off with injury and is regaining his fitness game by game. He doesn't look that sharp due to lack of games as well. His sending off and suspension didn't help him in this matter... the spanner.

If there is any manager that is at the top of his game with regards to fitness training it is David Moyes. Everton's fitness this season has been phenominal and the players have mentioned that this is purely down to his training regimes focusing on fitness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

he is clearly over weight, not saying it moyes fault. But he certainly isnt in shape. He is about a stone overweight.

he is clearly over weight, not saying it moyes fault. But he certainly isnt in shape. He is about a stone overweight.

Clearly not...

He's 6 feet 1 inch tall and is 13.3 stones in weight (186 pounds).

That is not overweight.

Stats:
    http://www.evertonfc.com/players/firstteam/index.php?profile_id=130

Weight/Height ratio calculator:
    http://www.cigna.co.uk/main/individuals/products/tools/weight.asp#form1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

also on Moyes menu of strikers is the slightly more expensive Andy Johnson...

http://www.worldfootballers.com/news.php?id=5949

it's like we have our own mini-abramovich revolution going,
    the bigger the cloud(rooney's departure) the bigger the silver lining ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I find it hilarious the amount of fans that know the likes of James Beattie, David Dunn and Andy Reid are overweight.

eirebhoy wrote:
    I find it hilarious the amount of fans that know the likes of James Beattie, David Dunn and Andy Reid are overweight.

I know... damn armchair supporters probably haven't played a game of football in their life...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

eirebhoy wrote:

Indeed, sure everyone was always blowing on about Reid being overweight, then Jol came out and said he was one of, if not The fittest in training.

Same as Rooney, all the you fat backstard stuff, but he's really just built like a tank, and not unfit.

Beattie ain't fat, but he is unfit, but he seems to have good attitude, and certainly talks the talk. hopefully next season he'll walk the walk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Beattie has looked sluggish at times tbh and his build is always going to give him the fat bastard tag. But if he regains fitness and confidence he could be great, not too long ago he was banging them in from all angles.

As regards Parker, he would be a great signing, Id say he would fit right in too. But I wouldnt class him as a defensive midfielder, more of a box to box type.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

we need some guile rather than grit in the centre of the park, we've been missing a quality midfielder since reid or steven.... :D

arteta is class, but as fragile as an easter egg........ :cool:

so the jurys out on parker, he is a quality player, but making an impact.......

yay or nay??!

having said that, you have to hand it to the toffees on their turn of fortunes, written off at least a dozen times since the start of the season

now we a blagging players and awaiting cl draw.

football. huh. funny game.

HAPPY TIMES FOR THE BLUE NOSE BOYS.......

I wouldn't say Arteta is fragile, he got crippled by a GBH tackle from the Blue&White Kamikaze, Todd, which cost him a few games. He's strong enough in possesion, and not afriad to put the boot in, the time in scotland has done him good. I've been very impressed with him thus far.

I think he has a calming influence on the midfield, as he can control and pass the ball. Plus he has a wicked free kick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

I think Moyes is just lazy, why traipse all around europe when you can pop down to london and buy all Chelskis surplus!

I don't know if we can afford to buy Parker AND Forsell AND Cudicini, and I hope we get a solid centre back before the end of the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

I think Parker would be a good signing at a bargain rate.

Look how well he played before he broke his foot

• Advertisement
Advertisement