Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

confused - options 4 broadband

• 23-05-2005 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi all,

Excuse me if this has already been answered in the other zillion postings...but am a wee bit lost as to what to do.
    I've bought a new apt (Mornington, Co Meath)...and need broadband...
    Thing is,
    a) don't have telephone
    b) don't have tv
    I really didn't want to get either of the above...have two mobiles and don't fancy another phone...and really need to study so don't want to be distracted by the TV begging to be switched on.

I need broadband for college but am a bit confused as to what/who/how I go about contacting regarding this.
    I did ring Eircon to see how much it is to get a landline = €122
    Asked them did I need to pay line rental = yes for three months = 3x€24
    Asked them did I need to stick with them to get Broadband=No

Checked on : /www.broadband.gov.ie
    Digiweb DSL - without a telephone no. they couldn't tell me if the line would be on a DSL enabled exchange (I think Bettystown is my closest exchange). The guy was nice enough to look up a telephone number in Laytown and that did have DSL but he told me that I 'may' not get DSL...

Not too happy about getting a line then finding out it isn't possible to get DSL.
    Don't really know my neighbours so feel a bit weird asking them 4 a telephone no.

So,what I was wondering was...if anyone out there could break down what options I have and who I should really go with....
    I suppose, Eircon, EsatBT & Digiweb DSL are 3 options....I really just want the least painful path to Broadband....

Anyway, any ideas...I'd appreciate it!
    ATB,
    Nobby

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Check with www.irishbroadband.ie to see if they are covering your area for wireless broadband. This wouldn't need a phone line, but will need an aerial.

If you don't want to get a TV because it's a distraction to studying then welcome to the internet my friend and good luck with the studying when you get addicted to boardsie, bittorrent, pr0n, etc. :D

Most of the major ADSL providors are just re-selling Eircom's DSL so it's all the same. Eircom will still need to install the line and will be responsible for testing it. They won't tell you if it'll pass, or if it's even likely to pass, upfront. Surely though Eircom can tell you which exchange you'll be connected to if you give them your address? If that's an enabled exchange then you may be in luck, if it isn't then you have no hope for ADSL over phoneline.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 nobby2k1

Thanks for that....looks like I have to go an organise a telephone line :-( as my address doesn't qualify for Wireless....
    lol...am sure I can allocate study break time for aimless surfing....but do enough of that in work ;-)

Will give Eircon a ring again in the morn and see what they say about the exchange...

Thanks for the input - much appreciated!
    ATB,
    Nobby

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Unfortunately your options are very limited.

To get DSL you must have a telephone line.
    To get cable Broadband, you must have cable TV (however I believe NTL offer the basic TV service free for 12 months if you get BB).

Your only other option is wireless Broadband from IBB. However you will need an aerial for tihs and that might not be an option in an apartment.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Nobby, you should try NTL first, it would be the cheaper option.

You could get NTL 1m/100k for €25 per month, free install and the first 3 months free and I also believe that they offer the basic TV service free for the first 12 months.

For the same speed Eircom costs €40 per month (first two months free) and line rental is €25 per month.

The only porblem is NTL may not be avialable in your area, but it is worth checking.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 nobby2k1

Thanks bk! I gave NTL a buzz and eh...they don't cover my area....tis a pity. Looks like I will have to go with telephone line and pay the rental for the first couple of months then switch to EsatBT - the idea of coughing up nearly €200 for Eircom is killing me...but no other choice I guess....grrrr

• Advertisement
Advertisement