Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

scholarships

Options
  • 23-05-2005 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭

hey, just saw this forum and thought i'd ask, my friend is into basketball, and he's looking to get a scholarship to nearly anywhere! is this possible? how? thanks, nlc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭SoundWave

is he irish? what age is he? where has/does he play??

tbh ur mate needs to be cut above the rest to even get looked at for a scholarship.

i played with a few guys in st.vincents that got scholarships to the states and they were fairly sh1t hot and had played for Dublin, Ireland and on national league teams....

if u know his history then it would be easier to make a call on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

He needs to be going to fairly high profile training camps in Ireland and the UK to get noticed. It's probably not going to happen while playing for his school or his local team unless there are some pretty good contacts in place.

I went to a training camp for the Chester Jets over in the UK, about 300 kids between 14 and 18 years old. 1 player got selected to go to a camp in the US.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭hardwoodhero

Basically if he is good enough and playing for a National League club his coach should be able to help him get where he needs to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 791 ✭✭✭fightin irish

Hmm also good connections are good, as in a good coach. My bro got a scholarship to a 3rd divison college in the states back in '94. He was a **** hot player in Ireland, Played for Ireland etc, But unfortunatley even in 3rd division he struggled to make a serious impact.

All the same, 10 years on he now lives in and is married to an american girl, has a fine education and a great job. TBH honest he used to say that thier was a lot of politics goin on , as in rich familys on campus could easily go ahead of himself.

He played with St Declans and a few went over but only himself and another guy remained.(couple of years apart of course)
    In fairness our coach at the time was very well connected in America and he was the main reason they got these scholarships.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭hardwoodhero

Was it dermot russell your talking about who went over?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Was it dermot russell your talking about who went over?

I reckon its Tony McDonagh.

LOL very close, Dee i know very well, Tony was a bit ahead of me......Im a bit suspicious(who's behind those user names :p )

Its a certain MR paul kenny :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭SoundWave

kenny was brutal.... :D

Reveal your identity........ :p

Advertisement