Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to Improve the Eircom League?

• 23-05-2005 6:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭

what do you think needs to be done in order to improve the eircom league?

Personally I think there should be a rule stating that if one wants to play for Ireland (considering hes irish that is) then he must play at least 2 seasons in the eircom league this would mean that the english clubs would have to actually pay to buy our players (rather than taking them on loan and signing them) and therefore clubs would gain money it would also give irish teams a bigger chance in Europe as they'll have premiership standard players on the squad (for 2 seasons anyways)

thats what i'd do anyways,any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

That would result in every single decent irish player not playing for ireland.
    While people like playing for their country, they aren't going to spend 2 years in a ****e league just to do it, and the FAI wouldn't have the balls for it.

The only way to improve the league is by the government spending vast amounts of money on youth academies for all the irish clubs, and in turn creating it like the Dutch league hopefully some day, then slowly work your way up, but that aint gona happen.

p.s. I'd love the Irish league to dissolve and join up with the English league, and then they would get the money to eventually make it to the top, some teams anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

PHB wrote:
    p.s. I'd love the Irish league to dissolve and join up with the English league, and then they would get the money to eventually make it to the top, some teams anyway
    Is this a troll or something?
    :mad:

I have never heard something as ridiculous in my life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭SpAcEd OuT

PHB wrote:
    That would result in every single decent irish player not playing for ireland.
    While people like playing for their country, they aren't going to spend 2 years in a ****e league just to do it, and the FAI wouldn't have the balls for it.

If there 17-18 I dont see how 2 seasons in the eircom league would prevent them from playing for their country,they'd be free to play for any club they wish by the time there 19-20 and I doubt many would boycott their country to go over to england because at that age their unlikely to get much playing time over there anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

The one and only way to improve the league is people getting off their arses and supporting it, simple as that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

^^^ and thiose same people to stop sniping about it at every oppurtunity. I was talking to a guy the other day, he said he will never to to a Cork City match again. Why? Because he went to ONE terrible game 5 years ago.

Same fella literally lives across the road from the turnstiles of Turners X. Thast what you are dealing with.

Im sure people wont stop supporting the premiership because the FA Cup final the other day was dross!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I had a massive post written out (took me ages) and the PC fcuked up!

Here I go again....

Basically,

The main problem, as I see it, lies within people's attitude towards the game. Comments like that displayed by PHB above are far too frequent and quite insulting to people who actually follow the game week-in, week-out like myself and a few others around here. I can say with almost 100% certainty that if people whose attitudes resemble PHB's were to go to three or four games over a two or three month period they would see what the league has to offer.

At the moment, there is a very good standard of football being played in the Eircom League. There are some extremely exciting players coming through at the moment, young, mid-career and veterans -

Shelbourne have Wes Hoolahan playing some great football, with Richie Baker back after a season with the New England Revolution and playing out of his skin too.

Cork have some of the best prospects in the league in Liam Kearney, Denis Behan, Joe Gamble, Kevin Doyle and John O' Flynn as well as having the excellent George O' Callaghan.

Around the rest of Dublin there is Kevin Hunt (possibly the best League of Ireland player in a very long time) with Bohemians, Keith Fahey who looks very promising for St. Pats, and the enigmatic Pat McCourt for Rovers who quite simply has to be seen to be believed.

Down the country there is plenty of talent too. Last time I checked Daryl Murphy was on his way to the Premiership to join Mick McCarthy at Sunderland. Then there is Kevin McHugh with Finn Harps who is another exciting prospect.

Apologies if I left anyone out, it certainly wasn't intentional!

I think every EL fan on boards will agree when we say it doesn't matter which team you support, because the collective need around the league for bigger attendances greatly outweighs any individual clubs needs at this moment in time (except maybe Rovers, but thats a different thread).

In summary, the main improvements that need to be made are regarding the promotion of the league as displaying a higher standard of football than what is commonly formed in the minds of many football fans in Ireland.

There is no reason why anyone who calls themselves a soccer fan shouldn't visit a game on a friday evening if there is one locally. Tickets aren't overly expensive and the atmosphere is always great, far better than watching a foreign game on the television. There is absolutely nothing wrong with watching English or Scottish football, and nobody is suggesting it should be one or the other, but the local clubs, with a great deal of Irish talent on show and massive potential for future Irish international sides need you to help them develop and make the most of the exceptional gifts some of these players and coaches possess.

Yours,
    JoeSoap (Shelbourne Season Ticket Holder)

PS - No better way to start than at Bohs-vs-Shels, Dalymount Park, Friday night at 19.45 (I think)...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ianomccabe

Haha i had an interview a few weeks ago and this was one of the main questions i was asked! From a marketing point of view :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

i have to admit im kinda of embarrassed at might my lack of support for irish soccer. having played at kilkenny city for a brief period i supported them through their promotion to the premier but i have lost interest since the year after they were relegated.

im not really sure why i have driffted away from the irish soccer there was a time when i was really into. but i noticed none of my mates are into it. so when i would mention a game or player they would look at me in amzement.

and i suppose this is the reason why ive drifted away. nobody talks about it around here. with kilkenny being the biggest team in my region we dont have much of choice but that is no excuse either.

i think it can be improved by better advertising of the games. now i know people will point that i is easy to come across times for match coverages on tv and venues for games but in all honesty in my everyday life i dont come across any of this. people like myself arent going to go looking for this info so we need a more in your face approach to advertising the game.

the media needs to take a greater interest. the back of the star will have 5-8 pages of english soccer and maybe a page or less of irish soccer.

so in my view we need the game to appeal to a more mainstream audience. you only have to look at the posts from irish soccer supporters on this board, no offence but some people do take a very exclusive tone and look down on people who dont support it, that only makes it worse.

those of us who dont support should look at ourselves and the money we pump into english clubs cos we do have a lot to answer for. and i for one think we should all agree to go to a match this weekend and point it out here.

i would like to point out everything expressed in this post is my opinion. there are other problems and factors affecting the game but to me this is the problem.

jumpa

ianomccabe wrote:
    Haha i had an interview a few weeks ago and this was one of the main questions i was asked! From a marketing point of view :D

and your response was? Ive heard of that question been asked before alright.

Great post Mr Joe Soap.

One of the best things about being an eL supporter is the camaraderie between opposing fans. I know myself and Seansouth and Slash/ed and various others tear into each other every now and then, but thats all part of the fun. I have friends all over the country thanks to being an eL fan, be it Galway, Longford, Drogheda or where ever. We meet for drinks and have a good ol laugh.

• Advertisement

Agreed with most points there, but I wouldn't say Eircom Lge fans here look down on people who don't follow it, but I certainly look down on people who criticise it ignorantly.

It must be pretty tough being a Kilkenny City fan alright, I can definitely understand why your interest has waned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

i said some not all. its a feeling i get from some. and your right about people who give out about the quality when they havent even gone to watch a game. i couldnt make the kilkenny city team, there was an abvious leap in class. so it kinda hits a nerve with me when people dis the quality.

ive even heard people compare the quality to junior soccer which is crazy.

so will we all go to a game this weekend?

gimmick wrote:
    One of the best things about being an eL supporter is the camaraderie between opposing fans. I know myself and Seansouth and Slash/ed and various others tear into each other every now and then, but thats all part of the fun. I have friends all over the country thanks to being an eL fan, be it Galway, Longford, Drogheda or where ever. We meet for drinks and have a good ol laugh.

Here here, we're all just supporting our local sides (of course it is going to get heated at times, thats the nature of the game) and its only a bit of craic.

Horrible bus crash in Navan, really puts sports into perspective.

i said some not all. its a feeling i get from some. and your right about people who give out about the quality when they havent even gone to watch a game. i couldnt make the kilkenny city team, there was an abvious leap in class. so it kinda hits a nerve with me when people dis the quality.

ive even heard people compare the quality to junior soccer which is crazy.

so will we all go to a game this weekend?

Tbh I know what you're saying about a snobbish attitude which can put people off but it is generally born out of pure frustration from the type of person who says "EL? Sure that's only shoyte" when they've never actually gone to a game. Any EL fan would welcome the support from anyone who wanted to give it by going to the odd game or whatnot.

^^^ unfortunatley thats not 100% true slash. I know from being a City fan that the snobbishness of many toward 'sunshiners' or 'barstoolers' is amazing.

When ever CCFC are on a decent run, our attendances swell. Every single time, you will here some muppets moaning "oh where were they in Bishopstwn/start of the season" etc etc etc. It does scare people away. The way I look at it, is at least these fellas are making the effort to get to a game. Done knock them, encourage (and I hope that dont sound condescending).

gimmick wrote:
    ^^^ unfortunatley thats not 100% true slash. I know from being a City fan that the snobbishness of many toward 'sunshiners' or 'barstoolers' is amazing.

When ever CCFC are on a decent run, our attendances swell. Every single time, you will here some muppets moaning "oh where were they in Bishopstwn/start of the season" etc etc etc. It does scare people away. The way I look at it, is at least these fellas are making the effort to get to a game. Done knock them, encourage (and I hope that dont sound condescending).

I suppose so you always get some eejits, I've never heard of people having a go at others at big matches though, it's stupid if it does happen. You'll never build a fanbase in this country if those that do make the effort are shot down, everyone has to start somewhere. For the big games the majority of people will probably never come back again but if only a handfull do stick around than it's a success and something you can build on, you wont even get that if you're having a go at people.

I know on forums there's alot of that but I think it's mainly because of the attitude the people who have never been to matches take towards the EL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

The best way to improve the league is for everyone to get behind Shels and support them. Were the only club that is landing Co-Efficient.

Improving on Co-Efficient is the best way to improve the league. More chance of playing in Champions League/UEFA Cup and thus attracting better players and more supporters

How is that going to benefit the league as a whole?

Surely saying something like "get out there and support your local team" would have alot more merit. This would, afterall, in theory increase competeition, therefore pushing teams standards higher.

Saying we should all go out and support a club simply because they are (at this moment in time) the best is ridiculous talk, and would harm the eL more than enhance it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

OMG did gimmick just say Shels are the best?! :eek: Hehe.

The best thing for this league, is arses on seats. We all know that no team has regularly packed stadiums, even Lennox (or Rico) have been bemoaning CCFCs attendances lately. The more people we get through the turnstiles, the more fans/revenue we create (some of them will stay).

I like wheres_me_jumpa's suggestion, if even some of you go to give your local club some support for 2 hours this weekend, it will make a difference, and you're guaranteed entertainment.
    Also, on the Shels forum, there was a "bring a friend" idea going round. Bring someone new with you to the game this weekend, and you may have yourself a new fan in the making (and someone else to talk to about the league besides internet geeks! :p:D). I wish I could make more of my mates go, but only one "follows" an EL team, and thats mainly because of when he was younger, yet to him the league is "shoite". Noone else would even dream of going, yet scream at their TV about the EPL every week, guess I'm gonna have to start buying in the drinks! Wonder if Ollie'll let me set up a tab! :D

Onr thing which the crowd I hang around with is push the 'night out' factor to going to a match. A few pints before the game, a few after, and then maybe twon after that.

I know that a guy i work with is going to the Cross alot more regularly now, and there are a few others I know as well who have been doing the same.

• Advertisement

I generally have to travel 90 minutes each way to get to and from Tolka, the closest I could get to them agreeing is meeting them afterwards in town and telling them the score!

Thats not to say my mates don't live closer, many of them are very much closer, just have the perception that the EL is shíte.

Also, being students, nights out tend to consist of as many cans as you can knock back in a short space of time before ya head out! (God bless the Student Season Ticket eh?! :D) Would spend most of the match in the jacks! :D

Fair fúcks tho, if several of us could get more people going, who in turn could get more people going, who.... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

The best way to improve the league is for everyone to get behind Shels and support them.
    Seems like a great idea. Right lads, we're all off to Dalymount on Friday to get behind Shels! I can see the league getting better already... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

All seater stadiums, decent highlights show.

Everything else is there training young players etc.

kdjac

Excellent answers there everyone, but I was particularly impressed with MrJoeSoap's first post. I was on the way out when this thread started, so couldn't post any long replies, but he put into words everything I was thinking while I was out.

Oh, and gimmick. I think I'll print off and frame that post of yours. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Thats just completely untrue JoeSoap.
    I didn't mean to insult you buts its just how I see the game.
    I've tried to follow the EL as much as possible as its on Setanta and I like to watch football, but I honastly believe that League Two has a higher quality. I have trouble watching the lower mid table clashes, i.e. Portsmouth vs. Newcastle or something, because the quality isn't enjoyable.
    If there is a Derby or a relegation battle then that will be make it interesting but if not it just doesn't entertain me whatsoever.
    If the quality in those teams isn't there, then you can imagine what I think of the Eircom league.

---
    If there 17-18 I dont see how 2 seasons in the eircom league would prevent them from playing for their country,they'd be free to play for any club they wish by the time there 19-20 and I doubt many would boycott their country to go over to england because at that age their unlikely to get much playing time over there anyways.

At this stage, so few people end up playing top level football coming straight from Irish clubs, the best players end up going to England at an age of 15 or so.
    Players don't want to be forced to play for a ****e club, especially when young irish players want to try and play at a higher level, not get stuck in Tolka.

---

I'd love to be able to go a match every second weekend to see Dublin City or something play against United/Liverpool/Arsenal etc.
    That would be fantastic, and it would be a great experience.
    A nation of 4 million can't have a football league at that quality, there is just no way the numbers are there unless every single kid in the entire country stoppe dplaying all other sports but soccer.
    Only way to do it is to have 4 super clubs, one in Dublin/Cork/Galway/Limerick.
    The population jsut ain't there!

PHB wrote:
    Thats just completely untrue JoeSoap.
    I didn't mean to insult you buts its just how I see the game.
    I've tried to follow the EL as much as possible as its on Setanta and I like to watch football, but I honastly believe that League Two has a higher quality. I have trouble watching the lower mid table clashes, i.e. Portsmouth vs. Newcastle or something, because the quality isn't enjoyable.
    If there is a Derby or a relegation battle then that will be make it interesting but if not it just doesn't entertain me whatsoever.
    If the quality in those teams isn't there, then you can imagine what I think of the Eircom league.

Setanta have only ever shown one EL game. The Setanta Cup has only had two EL clashes on it, if you're judgeing it on that then it's your loss. League two simply does not have higher quality not even near it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

1. Reduce the Premier division to 8 teams.

2. Incorporate GAA 'double header' style fixtures where possible. Don't know exactly how this would work yet. :) Perhaps Shamrock Rovers home fixtures could be incorporated with whichever dublin team is home that w/e.

3. Give free tickets to under 16s in order to fill gates. Nothing attracts a crowd like a crowd.

4. Switch games to Saturday afternoons during premiership off-season.

5. Launch 'player awareness' campaigns.

6. Stop using only one camera (prob 10ft off the ground in some cases?) for TV match coverage on TV3 ... makes it look like Schools cup final camcorder job and you never get a good look at goalscorers etc. Drogheda seem to be the only team doing anything about this so far.

7. Stop begging punters to go matches. It gives the wrong impression like we're some sort of charity rather than potential entertainment.

8. Stop these 'your a bandwagoner if you don't support your local team' or 'you've only supported your EL team x for 3 years' jibes. Hard I know, prob guilty of the first one myself. :)

9. Accept that we're not LaLiga and that we're never gonna be either.

Pigman II wrote:
    9. Accept that we're not LaLiga and that we're never gonna be either.

NEVER! :(:D

the only way to improve the league is to do well in Europe. 600,000 people watched that Shels game against Deportivo... if they were playing those matches each year then more fans would take an intrests, there would be more money for ground developments etc.

WE HAVE TO RAISE OUR CO-EFFICENT and WIN GAMES IN EUROPE :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭por

Ok this is what you do.
    1. Wind up the league as it currently exists
    2. Set up a league 10 franchises (I know it’s a dirty word in soccer) based on regions. i.e. a Team in Derry, Sligo, Galway, Limerick, Cork, Waterford, Athlone and 3 in Dublin, 1 North, 1 South, 1 West.
    3. All the teams would have ‘minor league’ or feeder teams in neighbouring large towns to develop their youth. These teams would play in a league against each other
    4. No promotion or relegation.
    5. Effective marketing including TV, Radio coverage.
    I know this will piss off the Dubs but right now the EL is very much a Dublin\East product right now, and with the obvious exception of Cork city no teams form outside the pale has done anything in 20 years.
    It’s radical but if the EL stays the way it is no one outside it’s traditional teams in Dublin will be interested.

the only way to improve the league is to do well in Europe. 600,000 people watched that Shels game against Deportivo... if they were playing those matches each year then more fans would take an intrests, there would be more money for ground developments etc.

WE HAVE TO RAISE OUR CO-EFFICENT and WIN GAMES IN EUROPE :)

When you say we, you mean Shels yes? How the christ will it help the rest of the league. Please explain that to me, because I really want to know?

How will the rich getting rich help raise the profile of Cobh Ramblers (they are in the 1st division), Monaghan, or even Waterford. How will Shels doing well in Europe help the ground developments of other teams, or indeed, how will it help Dundalk in their current situation?
    600,000 people watched that Shels game against Deportivo

And people say that City swell their attendences :p

The best thign we can do is help the league as a whole. If we all focused our efforts on Shels, it would be wasteful for several reasons

1) Bubbles burst, as someone pointed out. Look back a few years, all the fuss was about Bohs, now look at them. Don't say it won't happen to Shels, because speaking as a realistic Shels supporter, it can and most probably will. Then its onto a merry-go-round to try and build up the next club who seem to hit it big.

2) Possibility of a Norway style league, which, although great for the big teams, would be catastrophic for our league as a whole.

What we need is ever-advancing quality across the league, not just focused on one team. What use is a co-efficient if only one team can make use of it? We want all our teams that make Europe to have realistic chances and good objectives. I'd rather a slower progression that brought the whole league up a level or two, rather than a fast one for just Shelbourne.

For this we need several things, the most important one is crowds, IMO.

por wrote:
    Ok this is what you do.
    2. Set up a league 10 franchises (I know it’s a dirty word in soccer) based on regions. i.e. a Team in Derry, Sligo, Galway, Limerick, Cork, Waterford, Athlone and 3 in Dublin, 1 North, 1 South, 1 West.
    3. All the teams would have ‘minor league’ or feeder teams in neighbouring large towns to develop their youth. These teams would play in a league against each other
    I know this will piss off the Dubs but right now the EL is very much a Dublin\East product right now, and with the obvious exception of Cork city no teams form outside the pale has done anything in 20 years.
    It’s radical but if the EL stays the way it is no one outside it’s traditional teams in Dublin will be interested.

That's great except nobody at all would support it.

Slash/ED wrote:
    That's great except nobody at all would support it.

Whne you say support do you mean from a general public supporting the teams or the football authorities agreeing to make the change?

If it is the latter I agree it would be a hard sell but remember no one at that level in Irish soccer is able to look beyond their own nose.

Both but espically the first one. The general public as ever wont want to know and no fan of a current EL team will willingly give up their own team and blindly start to follow some team invented out of the blue (Unless they're from Cork :p), so you'll be left with nothing.

• Advertisement

Slash/ED wrote:
    Both but espically the first one. The general public as ever wont want to know and no fan of a current EL team will willingly give up their own team and blindly start to follow some team invented out of the blue (Unless they're from Cork :p), so you'll be left with nothing.

I'll take it you are from Dublin and support a Dublin team.
    There are loads of people beyond the pale that would support a local team if they were competitive, not one of these like Galway, Sligo or Limerick that make it to the top flight for a year or so here and there.
    If the product (ther's that word again) is good enough then people will support it, regardless of what histoy it has.

Then what they need to do is get their acts together as clubs and make themselves competitive. There is no reason why they can't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Simple : Kill Damien Cliche Bástard Richardson, hes everything that is wrong with Irish Football.

Slash/ED wrote:
    Then what they need to do is get their acts together as clubs and make themselves competitive. There is no reason why they can't.

How do you make a small west of Ireland club competitive against Shelbourne ?.
    You can't, thats why the current system has to be disbanded and re-built with franchises, salray caps, revenue sharing.
    Drastic, yes, ground breaking, yes, but if you don't you'll have a Norway situation and in 10 years time nobody other than their fans will give a damn that Selbourne are in the CL, again.

If Shels break into the group stages of C.L or UEFA Cup its going to increase the co-eff of the league and raise the E.L in most peoples eyes. The league will rise and clubs will be playing weaker teams so they should in theory beat them.

Club playing more in Europe = more crowds, more money, better facilities , better league

• Advertisement

por wrote:
    How do you make a small west of Ireland club competitive against Shelbourne ?.
    You can't, thats why the current system has to be disbanded and re-built with franchises, salray caps, revenue sharing.
    Drastic, yes, ground breaking, yes, but if you don't you'll have a Norway situation and in 10 years time nobody other than their fans will give a damn that Selbourne are in the CL, again.

Why can't you? Shelbourne were in a far worse position than the majority of league clubs are atm just two decades ago. They built themselves up, the rest can do the same.

If Shels break into the group stages of C.L or UEFA Cup its going to increase the co-eff of the league and raise the E.L in most peoples eyes. The league will rise and clubs will be playing weaker teams so they should in theory beat them.

Club playing more in Europe = more crowds, more money, better facilities , better league

That is still only good for one club, the club in Europe. You still have to tell me how ONE club doing well in Europe will benefit the league as a whole. Ill even break it down into smaller questions -

1. How would supporting Shels make more money for smaller clubs?

2. If Shels were doing well in Europe, why would that make, say, a Cobh guy want to go to St Colmans Park to see his local team?

3. How would one team doing well make better facilities be on offer to other clubs?

More crowds/money for whom apart from the club playing in Europe? Lets be honest here shall we. Shels relative success hasnt exactly boosted attendences in Tolka has it? How many were at the Lille game? Its easy to say there were 24000 at the Depor game, but they are a huge European club.

gimmick wrote:
    More crowds/money for whom apart from the club playing in Europe? Lets be honest here shall we. Shels relative success hasnt exactly boosted attendences in Tolka has it? How many were at the Lille game? Its easy to say there were 24000 at the Depor game, but they are a huge European club.
    Exactly. Agree 100%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Slash/ED wrote:
    Why can't you? Shelbourne were in a far worse position than the majority of league clubs are atm just two decades ago. They built themselves up, the rest can do the same.

Ehh how they do that exactly?

Surely you have been operating at a loss for years for the last 10 years paying the the highest wages all bankrolled by a rich family, hardly an example to base any club on. Even with the Cl money i wouldnt say the bankrolling has broke even.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

To improve the Eircom League I would get rid of the incompetents in the FAI and replace them with people with marketing expetise who's priority is the development of the game . With some decent media coverage you may change the publics poor perception of the league and get the bums on seats needed to finance improvements.

KdjaC wrote:
    Ehh how they do that exactly?

Surely you have been operating at a loss for years for the last 10 years paying the the highest wages all bankrolled by a rich family, hardly an example to base any club on. Even with the Cl money i wouldnt say the bankrolling has broke even.

kdjac

Yes but the point is there's no reason why other clubs can't attempt to compete, rearraging the entire league is not the answer.

building on the setanta cup is a good idea.. eventually having a all ireland soccer league of 20 clubs in the top division, were going to lose european places but lets face it, bohs and the village have let us all down time and time again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

por wrote:
    Ok this is what you do.

Ive an idea just as radical as this if not more so (and once again the Dublin poeple would be strongly against it) .

Have a county team from the 28 counties + Derry , and either have 2 divisions of 10 and 1 of 9 or have 1 division of 14 and the other of 15 .

I main idea of this is people love to support their county be it hurling football or whatever they love their county doing well , and when their not doing well a decent crowd watch them anyway . Therefore attendances would be raised . Another main thing is each county would have a team , so everyone has a team to support , at the moment my county Tipp has no representative in the Eircom league and I find this a real shame as I know there is a big interest in soccer in Tipp (its behind hurling but way before football or rugby) and that a couple of thousand would watch a county soccer team on a regular basis , people from Clare also have no-one to represent them , and this is the same for many counties .

The main problem I see with this is the amount of Dublin clubs there is , and they would hate to become extinct , but just think of the crowd you could have if all the supporters of Dublin clubs joined together .

The other real problem would be getting the thing started , and getting support would also be hard seeing as its a crazy idea .

I find the idea intriguing , but the more I think about it the more obstacles to it I find .

here... anything that is going to work is what is based on existing teams... a radical idea liek that is not going to work... we need MORE MONEY in grounds and players etc

Big Ears wrote:
    Have a county team from the 28 counties + Derry , and either have 2 divisions of 10 and 1 of 9 or have 1 division of 14 and the other of 15 .
    Do you mean 26 + Derry?
    Big Ears wrote:
    but just think of the crowd you could have if all the supporters of Dublin clubs joined together .
    Yeah, crowd of people killing each other.

Rovers and Bohs would never come together, never mind Shels, Pats, UCD, Dublin City and whoever else.

It'll never happen. It is madness to suggest thet people give up the history associated with all of these clubs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement