Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gimmicky metal bands

Options
  • 23-05-2005 9:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭

Does anyone else find these bands ridiculous?
    I'm talking about bands that have names like "Bal Sagoth" and "Cruachan", who have pictures of castles and unicorns on their album sleeves. Their lyrics are about "throne of the serpent king", or something else fantastical like that.
    I can't stand to hear these gimmicky metal bands, everything about them is pure BS. I actually heard recently, that there were such genres of metal as "battle metal" and "epic metal", and "myth/legend metal". How can lyrics like that really be relevant to anyones life?
    These guys give decent heavy metal a bad name...
    So there's my rant, agree/disagree as you please.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

I don't think it's a gimmick, even though it wouldn't be my kind of thing. Lyrical matter is a personal thing, an artist writes what they know about. People draw their inspiration from different sources. I mean, would you say the Lord Of The Rings books are a gimmick or a fantastic story well told? If everybody sings about the same thing then music will die. Personally, I can't stand whiny middle class Americans bitching about their personal problems in that "look at me, I'm so miserable, my life is hard, you don't know how I feel but I'm going to whine over a heavy riff and tell you about it ad nauseum" that seems to be so popular at the moment, that stuff just gets on my tits and won't let up. I'd say that stuff is as much of a gimmick as any dungeons and dragons stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭dimerocks

not generally into them things either but blind guardian are fooking class and the have a whole lord of the rings album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭superconor

Oh no no no no, REAL men sing about castles and dragons and rainbows. That type of music is very, very good and a lot better than the majority of whiney "awww my girlfriend dumped me" bands.

As the great doctor said:
    that stuff just gets on my tits and won't let up

Leather, Metal, Spikes And Chains my angry little scouser. What bands do you like then?
    blind guardian are fooking class
    Thats the spirit! \,,/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

umm...its called folk metal. dont like it ? then dont listen to it pure and simple

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Does anyone else find these bands ridiculous?
    I'm talking about bands that have names like "Bal Sagoth" and "Cruachan", who have pictures of castles and unicorns on their album sleeves. Their lyrics are about "throne of the serpent king", or something else fantastical like that.
    I can't stand to hear these gimmicky metal bands, everything about them is pure BS. I actually heard recently, that there were such genres of metal as "battle metal" and "epic metal", and "myth/legend metal". How can lyrics like that really be relevant to anyones life?
    These guys give decent heavy metal a bad name...
    So there's my rant, agree/disagree as you please.

Have you listened to the bands? Cruachan don't need a gimmick, they're a great band! What's your problem with the album covers, they're just interested in mythology and the like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Under that basis your pretty much branding black metal out altogether, aswell as death metal, and all of Power Metal. Lyrics dont matter a damn imo, who honestly cares what any decent death metal singer is actually saying? if it sounds good, it could be about Pokemon for all I care.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭moonboy

these guys give decent heavy metal a bad name

so whats your idea of decent metal then??

• Registered Users Posts: 17,586 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

If dragonforce shouldnt be 'allowed' sing about going into battle with a shiny sword, what gives iron maiden the right to sing about Icarus or being executed in Hallowed Be Thy Name? Should Metallica be slaughtered for writing Creeping Death, when they clearly are not Egyptian? No! Saying a band cant write about something that isnt relevant to their lives, cos you are clearly writing off great bands such as Slayer and countless others, who dont sing about their lives in every song.

Thats just ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

If dragonforce shouldnt be 'allowed' sing about going into battle with a shiny sword, what gives iron maiden the right to sing about Icarus or being executed in Hallowed Be Thy Name? Should Metallica be slaughtered for writing Creeping Death, when they clearly are not Egyptian? No! Saying a band cant write about something that isnt relevant to their lives, cos you are clearly writing off great bands such as Slayer and countless others, who dont sing about their lives in every song.

Thats just ignorance.

And dont forget Zepplin's references to Lord of the Rings too (Ramble On)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Danger_Dave

Pugsley wrote:
    Under that basis your pretty much branding black metal out altogether, aswell as death metal, and all of Power Metal. Lyrics dont matter a damn imo, who honestly cares what any decent death metal singer is actually saying? if it sounds good, it could be about Pokemon for all I care.

Give That man a can of coke !

Yep who honestly cares what there saying ? i mean we all know death metal etc sing about small little bunnies prancing around a meadow, fresh cut grass in the summer, all things nice :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

yeah, totally.
    It's not gimmicky at all, metal has been like this since day 1.
    get with the programme,
    Heavy Metal Or No Metal At All
    Wimps And Posers Leave The Hall
    Wimps And Posers I Said Leave The Hall

Now The World Must Listen To Our Decree
    We Don’t Turn Down For Anyone
    We Do Just What We Please
    Got To Make It Louder All Men Play On Ten
    If You’re Not Into Metal You Are Not My Friend Yea

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

Its pagan metal.Immortal arent really an example of pagan metal but they do have some lyrics that promote paganism abit.Theyre more about the Vikings rather than anything else.Norse black metal.

...that eh, didnt make any sense whatsoever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 rootofallevil

nadir wrote:
    yeah, totally.
    It's not gimmicky at all, metal has been like this since day 1.
    get with the programme,
    Wimps And Posers Leave The Hall
    Wimps And Posers I Said Leave The Hall

Now The World Must Listen To Our Decree
    We Don’t Turn Down For Anyone
    We Do Just What We Please
    Got To Make It Louder All Men Play On Ten
    If You’re Not Into Metal You Are Not My Friend Yea

Just reading it gets me all excited
    I cant believe it took many posts before the power of MANOWAR was unleashed to set this issue straight. let no man ever say this is gimmicky or it will be at their peril.
    FEEL THE POWER OF THE SWORD

On the topic of Manowar, cant beat the cheesiest line of a song ever:
    'Keep you sword wet like a young virgin in her prime'
    Wan Manowar :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭dimerocks

speaking of such metal, Einharjar are bloody great too, don't think i spelt it right though. fa la la la lala la la la la

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭Geranium

Who cares what a bands sings about/sounds like as long as you can enjoy listening to them? And in conclusion...

BY THE POWER OF STEEEEEEEL!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭superconor

I cant believe it took many posts before the power of MANOWAR was unleashed
    I subtely released it in the 4th post :p
    Phear Manowar, phear any band that poses for album covers in loin cloths and baby oil!

Lol 'Keep you sword wet like a young virgin in her prime'!
    My personal Favourite is "Reach For Me Dragon, We'll Meet In The Sky!"

Should we have a cheesiest lyrics thread? :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

let us not forget Rhapsody :)

symphonic power hollywood metal!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Out in the distance
    There's so much gold
    The treasure that I've found
    Is more than enough
    Far to the hill we've to go
    Over the mountains and seas
    To the old hill
    Where the old dragon sleeps
    Blind in the dark dungeon's night
    So God please take me away from here
    And Gollum shows the way right out

Blind Guardian how I love thee :-D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Mordeth wrote:
    let us not forget Rhapsody :)

symphonic power hollywood metal!

Hollywood - they're Italian!!! :D

• Advertisement

http://hem.passagen.se/tobiasha/rhapsody/hollywood_metal.htm

Read about Rhapsody´s own new style - Hollywood Metal.

hehehehe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

I refuse to believe that - its bad enough we have to put up with Norwegian Viking Troll Black Folk Metal - but Hollywood Metal - have they no shame

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

herobear wrote:
    umm...its called folk metal. dont like it ? then dont listen to it pure and simple

Well I don't listen to it. Pure and simple(?). :)

And I'm not deriding ALL power metal bands. For example, Sonata Arctica don't feel the need to write 100% about elves and magic and fairies and orcs and enchanted swords and wizards. Sonata have plenty of great down-to-earth songs: Tallulah, Letter to Dana, Sing in silence, The End of This Chapter, San Sebastion...etc

To the guy who mentioned Metallica's "creeping death". I hate to tell you, but that stuff ain't fantasy. Its from THE OLD TESTAMENT OF THE BIBLE.
    I don't mind when a good band writes the odd fantasy-based song every now and then, e.g. Iron Maiden. I listen to Maiden all the time, but the one thing I hate about them is their gimmicks and their album covers etc. I love Maiden, but hate Eddie.
    Yes, death metal in general is crap, having a handful of exceptions. Same goes for black metal.

Sure, the music can still sometimes be good, except for when they have some cheesy keyboard parts...but for a band to really be great, their lyrics should mean something. "Who cares what they sing about" you ask? I do. I know lots of other people who do. Anyone who takes a "who cares" approach to the music they listen to is an idiot.

Yes, as for Blind Guardians's LOTR album...I bet those lyrics came from personal experience, eh? Singing something that doesnt come from the heart is a waste of time, really.

Haha please, quote more Manowar lyrics, they are f'n hilarious!!

To the guy who mentioned Metallica's "creeping death". I hate to tell you, but that stuff ain't fantasy. Its from THE OLD TESTAMENT OF THE BIBLE.

rofl

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHA

omg

lol

classic

• Registered Users Posts: 17,586 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

that stuff ain't fantasy
    So many things to say, so many things to rant about, but i wont, for the sake of keeping this thread on-topic.

Who can discuss fantasy and metal without the immortal words of CoF
    "Carpathia
    The pleasured dead speak of her
    In necromantic tongue
    When ambered daylights are done

Masterbating in their graves
    On her zenith to come...."

Keats himself would be in awe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Singing something that doesnt come from the heart is a waste of time, really.

I would say maybe 0.05% of all music comes from the heart, drawn from personal experience, if even that. Just because a dude whines about being alone, waiting for the phone, with no place to call home, won't you see his misery etc etc etc, it doesn't mean it's coming from anywhere different to a dude singing about a mythical battle.

As for Metallica, Fade To Black for example, is about a dude killing himself, was it Lars or James who topped themselves and rose from the dead. As for One, well I don't recall any of them getting injured on active service? All made up, just as made up as any Manowar lyric. Please, please, please give us some examples of lyrics that you deem as real and from the heart.

Hammerfall - Glory to the brave :)

\m/

"Hit me baby one more time" was from the heart (of a whack-a-jack toy)

• Advertisement

I hate to tell you, but that stuff ain't fantasy. Its from THE OLD TESTAMENT OF THE BIBLE.
    lol give this guy a medal :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement