Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gimmicky metal bands

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

To the guy who mentioned Metallica's "creeping death". I hate to tell you, but that stuff ain't fantasy. Its from THE OLD TESTAMENT OF THE BIBLE.

I know Mordeth (EDIT: And Pugsley) said it already, but in fairness, it deserves another go. :)

The Gods made heavy metal, and They saw that it was good!

tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

AHahahaha , that's some funny **** right there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭DOD Crew

Singing something that doesnt come from the heart is a waste of time, really.

I wasn’t sure at first – but now I am

You sir, are an idiot!

Manowar, Manowar, Livin' on the road,
    When we hit town, speakers explode (Explosion)
    We don't attract wimps, 'cos we're too loud
    Just true metal people, that's Manowar's crowd!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 rootofallevil

Now thats from the heart. And it gets me going every time.
    Some peoples favourite songs make them cry, feel all cheery,
    feel in love etc
    For me its Manowar making me feel like its time to go pummel
    the living daylights outta some wimps to a deafening soundtrack
    of their music, aahhhhhh :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

Now thats from the heart. And it gets me going every time.
    Some peoples favourite songs make them cry, feel all cheery,
    feel in love etc
    For me its Manowar making me feel like its time to go pummel
    the living daylights outta some wimps to a deafening soundtrack
    of their music, aahhhhhh :)

O....k. You like to pummel "wimps"? What are you, some kind of american high-school jock/bully? Oh, no I forgot, you're just a hick with anger problems.
    Please tell me this guy doesn't represent the majority of Manowar fans.

To the people who laugh about that whole "creeping death"/old testament thing....well, I wouldnt have expected all you pagan/black metal fans to A) know much about the bible, or B) believe in any of it. Whats so funny about it?

To the guy who mentioned "Fade to Black", well, 90% of the lyrics in that song, pertain only to feelings about commiting suicide; about someone thinking about doing it, while having not yet done it.

DOD Crew - You think I'm an idiot? okay, would you care to back that statement up at all? Well?
    The only idiot, is the guy who makes such rash (and incidentally, false) statements as yours, with no evidence to back them up.

Ok, you want lyrics that come from the heart? Okay, I can't spend all day telling you every song, but here are a couple by some bands you may be familiar with:
    Thrice - The Beltsville Crucible, Blood Clots and Black Holes, Silhouette

Metallica - Nothing Else Matters, The God That Failed, Mama Said, Fade To Black, The Unforgiven 1/2, St. Anger, etc

Megadeth - A Toute le Monde, Victory, 1000 Times Goodbye, Promises, Disconnect, Recipe For Hate, When, Trust, Almost Honest, I'll Get Even, Tears In A Vial, etc

Glassjaw - Cosmopolitan Bloodloss, When One Eight Becomes Two Zeros, Her Middle Name Was Boom, Piano, Motel Of The White Locust, Babe, Must've Run All Day, Pink Roses, Trailer Park Jesus,

Lots more, but I don't have all day!

"The Gods made Heavy Metal" ? You talk some amount of shite.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

To the people who laugh about that whole "creeping death"/old testament thing....well, I wouldnt have expected all you pagan/black metal fans to A) know much about the bible, or B) believe in any of it. Whats so funny about it?

The fact that you think the old testament ISN'T fantasy, I find that pretty funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

To the guy who mentioned "Fade to Black", well, 90% of the lyrics in that song, pertain only to feelings about commiting suicide; about someone thinking about doing it, while having not yet done it.

Yes, but none of Metallica were seriously contemplating suicide at the time, quite the opposite by all accounts, it was a very positive time for them, so those lyrics are as made up and fictionary as Trapped Under Ice or Ride The Lightning (or any Manowar, Blind Guardian, Sabbat etc) lyric. I suppose you could argue that RTL explores the feelings of someone contemplating being electrocuted but hey what can ye do, did Hetfield hold his wet hand over a light switch after getting out of the shower to make sure it was authentic?

Also, please don't generalise people here who found your Old Testament comment as exceptional, IMO people with lucid thought patterns who are educated and think for themselves are right to question the validity of the Old Testament, it's not purley pagan/black... ****, it's not just Metal fans who find the Old Testament ridiculous. So please don't give out about someone making statements they can't back up... you know, the whole "cast the first stone thing" :rolleyes:

Seriously though man, just because someone is whining about an emotional personal issue, it doesn't mean those lyrics are from the heart, frequently the opposite. You reference Stanger, but those lyrics were written by all three Metallica members and Bob Rock throwing lines back and forward. Do all four of those people have Stanger round their neck and they never get respect? Please. I believe Gang Green's "Let's Drink Some Beer" to be more from the heart than Stanger, honestly. If you can't open your mind to accept lyrics that don't read like a Dear Trisha letter then dude I feel sorry for you. Art has no rules, it isn't confined to certain lyrical matter or subject of inspiration. It's wherever the artist finds their inspiration and that is the very beauty of Metal, that lyrically it covers everything from demons and dragons to positive and negative personal lyrics, to religious and anti-religious matter and from the most dark and despairing to the brightest and most inspirational - and best of all, the really good stuff inspires you to question and think, it has never been restrictive in it's content and I, for one, never want that to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

Do i hear an Amen?

As for this:
    "The Gods made Heavy Metal" ? You talk some amount of ****e.

Don't blaspheme, young man, you know it's the truth ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Religion should not have anythng to do with music, unless the point of the music is religious. People shouldn't judge music based on the religion, or lack thereof, of the artists. Think of Slayer: They got to where they are by exploiting violent imagery and themes to do with Hell and all the fire, brimstone and evil they could cram into their material, but Tom Araya is a practising Catholic. It's all just fun. Relax. Lyrics are interesting takes on things. The way you talk about it, a band with a manic depressive writing their lyrics should sing about nothing but doom, gloom and misfortune. Do you not think that'd get boring?! :confused: As regards Death Metal being ****e, seriously... That's an opinion but it's a desperately uninformed one. I imagine you assume all death metal bands sing about gore and death all the time, eh? A band can do what they want, and sing about what they want, and do it the way they want to. That's the beauty of it all. You don't have the right to tell them how to do what they do. I'm not going to get into a religious argument as i have a big enough one going on in my own head. I would believe in most of the principles of Catholicism-though my own take on it is somewhat more liberal- but I don't really go in for the stories and things. I do not however, let a priest or anyone else tell me what I can and can't think about or listen to. That's just giving in to ignorance. I'd rather make an educated opinion count than rehash one that's been thrown around before and I'm just reciting. Think about your faith, and the fact that the Old Testament is actually one massive metaphor. Don't take religion as fact. Think of it as a code by which to live your life. That's what it is after all.

• Advertisement

Ancient1 wrote:
    Do i hear an Amen?

You're hearing things. Stop living in a fantasy tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭BleakestH

Well I don't listen to it. Pure and simple(?). :)

And I'm not deriding ALL power metal bands. For example, Sonata Arctica don't feel the need to write 100% about elves and magic and fairies and orcs and enchanted swords and wizards. Sonata have plenty of great down-to-earth songs: Tallulah, Letter to Dana, Sing in silence, The End of This Chapter, San Sebastion...etc

To the guy who mentioned Metallica's "creeping death". I hate to tell you, but that stuff ain't fantasy. Its from THE OLD TESTAMENT OF THE BIBLE.
    I don't mind when a good band writes the odd fantasy-based song every now and then, e.g. Iron Maiden. I listen to Maiden all the time, but the one thing I hate about them is their gimmicks and their album covers etc. I love Maiden, but hate Eddie.
    Yes, death metal in general is crap, having a handful of exceptions. Same goes for black metal.

Sure, the music can still sometimes be good, except for when they have some cheesy keyboard parts...but for a band to really be great, their lyrics should mean something. "Who cares what they sing about" you ask? I do. I know lots of other people who do. Anyone who takes a "who cares" approach to the music they listen to is an idiot.

Yes, as for Blind Guardians's LOTR album...I bet those lyrics came from personal experience, eh? Singing something that doesnt come from the heart is a waste of time, really.

Haha please, quote more Manowar lyrics, they are f'n hilarious!!
    My god you're stupid. Please give me a list of bands that you listen to (and presumably have no 'gimmicks') so we can see what the hell you're comparing it to here. What kind of subject matter do you consider to be non-gimmicky?

Christ, Metallica's Creeping Death not a gimmick?? The Old Testament isn't fantasy, have you read that ****ing book?? It's about as realistic as a fooking Goerge Lucas movie....

Death/black metal is in general crap? So presumably you've listenened to the majority of bands from these genres in order to be able to comfortably make this utterly stupid sweeping statement?

And surely 'lyrics that mean something' is as subjective as the kind of music they're playing? If a band chooses to write lyrics about battles, wizards and orcs, then who's to say they 'don't mean anything'? For all you know, these lyrics could have a deep metaphorical underlay that is a reflection on modern sociological studies...or more simply, perhaps these fantasy themes do have a personal resonance to the person who wrote and incorporated them into their music...who are you to say they are meaningless, just because they have no personal impact on you? If they're sung with passion, conviction and emotion then it's safe to say that these lyrics are every bit as important to the musicians as any band that you deem to have 'good' lyrics. Which is more than can be said for Metallica these days it must be said, who've jumped onto the angst bandwagon with all the grace as a bunch of middle-aged millionaires would be expected to muster, i.e. none.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭BleakestH

O....k. You like to pummel "wimps"? What are you, some kind of american high-school jock/bully? Oh, no I forgot, you're just a hick with anger problems.
    Please tell me this guy doesn't represent the majority of Manowar fans.

DOD Crew - You think I'm an idiot? okay, would you care to back that statement up at all? Well?
    The only idiot, is the guy who makes such rash (and incidentally, false) statements as yours, with no evidence to back them up.

Ok, you want lyrics that come from the heart? Okay, I can't spend all day telling you every song, but here are a couple by some bands you may be familiar with:
    Thrice - The Beltsville Crucible, Blood Clots and Black Holes, Silhouette

Metallica - Nothing Else Matters, The God That Failed, Mama Said, Fade To Black, The Unforgiven 1/2, St. Anger, etc

Megadeth - A Toute le Monde, Victory, 1000 Times Goodbye, Promises, Disconnect, Recipe For Hate, When, Trust, Almost Honest, I'll Get Even, Tears In A Vial, etc

Glassjaw - Cosmopolitan Bloodloss, When One Eight Becomes Two Zeros, Her Middle Name Was Boom, Piano, Motel Of The White Locust, Babe, Must've Run All Day, Pink Roses, Trailer Park Jesus,

Lots more, but I don't have all day!

"The Gods made Heavy Metal" ? You talk some amount of shite.

Bwahawhaw :lol:

This post is so ridiculously stupid it doesn't even warrant a coherent response....you're actually trying to say, with a straight face, that Megadeth lyrics are 'meaningful'? Ahahahahahaha....

Don't you realise it's completely subjective you moron? What may seem deep, meaningful or whatever might appear to someone else (in this case, me) as being trite, badly thought out, psuedo-intellectual rubbish. Good grief...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Well this has gone nowhere but a flamefest. Cool it people.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement