Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Record releases in MP3

• 23-05-2005 10:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭

Just wondering dose anyone know of any site(s) that provide high quality 256+ kbs mp3's of recent vynil releases and older releases. Im looking for mostly Breakbeat / Electro stuff, labels like Clone, Satamile, Cucoon, Nummer, Klakson, Noodles Institute, Touchin Bass ect.
    Any suggestions would be welcome ?

Plus has anyone here taken a mp3 of high quality and run it through a big ass system, Ive been to a few gigs where the dj's would be using 256 mp3's through cd decks and can't say ive noticed a difference, but then it'd be different if you could compare the vynil - vs - Mp3.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

I dunno how much they'd cater for your tastes but
    www.beatport.com
    www.recordstore.co.uk
    do proper vinyl mixes in high quality mp3.

Of course you pay for them, and of course they come with DRM (copyright restrictions built in). I've just bought a track from recordstore.co.uk and (not because of the DRM) it seems to be screwed, still trying to get it sorted. Otherwise they seem quite professional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

youd be as well converting the mp3 to a 44100hz 16bit wav, and doing some processing on it in cubase or t-racks before playing it out

mp3 kills a good deal of the top and bottom, and youll lose higher end harmonics

If your making the mp3 yourself you could move to another (better) format. Depends what your playing on I guess. I don't know much about this but I'm presuming OGG or FLAC (?) files are better - as are WAV files.

if youre ripping yourself use 44100hz 16bit wav if its gonna be used on cd, if its gonna be used digitally, youve a big harddrive, and youre an audiophile, then rip to 96khz 24bit (once your card supports it)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭formatman

how can you rip a 16bit cd to 24Bit 96Khz..?

I think you are getting mixed up with superaudio cd and DVD Audio

As regards the Mp3 192Khz max is grand for most stuff and choosing variable rate also between 160 and 192 works well for me also

you'll loose some the Highs on a high hat and cymbal sounds but if people can hear this on a overused club sound system then they are taking some good stuff

for usin effects wav is better and some effects work on harmonics and the missing ones in the mp3's can give strange results sometimes

• Advertisement

im talking about ripping from vinyl, which is an analog sound source

i never once mentioned cd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭base2

Your sound processing of the vinyl to digital will do a lot more damage than the mp3 conversion. If you dont have high end studio gear then its always going to sound ****. Which is why vinyl needs to die.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭deadbeat

www.bleep.com would be your best bet but they only provide VBR mp3s with an average bitrate of 215kbps..its run by warp records

deadbeat wrote:
    www.bleep.com would be your best bet but they only provide VBR mp3s with an average bitrate of 215kbps..its run by warp records
    What's wrong with VBR and a high bitrate?!

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭deadbeat

Just wondering dose anyone know of any site(s) that provide high quality 256+ kbs mp3's of recent vynil releases....

he specified 256+ so i was just letting him know they're vbr

• Advertisement

Ah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Plus has anyone here taken a mp3 of high quality and run it through a big ass system, Ive been to a few gigs where the dj's would be using 256 mp3's through cd decks and can't say ive noticed a difference, but then it'd be different if you could compare the vynil - vs - Mp3.

The actually analog -> digital process of getting the vinyl onto your hard disk is always going to be the most important - and the lossiest. I'd be more concerned about this then whatever format you convert it to after this (Though I'd go for WAV if you have the space, or 256 mp3 if you don't.
    If you'll be playing a mixed media set (1210s and a CDJ or whatever) then you could invest in a filter or exciter to give a bit of warmth and depth to the digital stuff (though you'd want to be careful using reverb or flange with some of the "enhancers" on the market as they re-filter filtered frequencies and everything ends up sounding awful).

Of course, there'll always be some people who'll be too ossified to care what it sounds like :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Advertisement