Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo Resident Evil 4 FARCE

Options
  • 24-05-2005 8:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭

Apologies, But I don't see a Gamecube forum!

I bought the Resident Evil 4 Gamecube bundle yesterday in Game in Liffey Valley. Reason being, I heard the game was that good that it was worth the purchase of the console alone. €140 all in - pretty good really.

After opening it yesterday, I was well peeved to find that NO MEMORY CARD is bundled with the unit.

This is a total FARCE! - If you're gonna sell a package, it has to function to some extent all by it's lonesome... The Game simply does no fucntion correctly without the facility to save the poxy game!!

Anyone know of the cheapest place to buy one?!

Any decent game recomendations would also be helpful.

I'll get off my soapbox now...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Go official whatever you do, i wouldnt trust my precious saves with some shoddy 3rd party who-ha. That lack of memory card thing nearly caught me out when i first got my GC many moons ago... lucky i asked if there was one in the box before i left the store.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭elvis2002

ha, when i bought that in Henry street, the nice people in game gave me a special edition resident evil 0 memory card for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Its hardly a FARCE now is it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Hmm I thought you got a Resident Evil one with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

why the farcically misleading thread title?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Tusky wrote:
    Its hardly a FARCE now is it ?

Well considering the product does not function correctly (as sold as a self-contained entity) I do think it's a FARCE...

The ability to save a game is integral to it's completion, Unless you finish it in one sitting... which the vast majority of gamers would NOT DO. Not even allowing for hidden extras available after completion.

I think it's an underhanded move to release a console and game bundle that has a vital piece of kit missing...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

skywalker wrote:
    why the farcically misleading thread title?

Sledgehammer attention - But now you're here, Apologies for the melodrama. ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

i mean come on, you cant even move while firing......

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Well technically the unit does function on its own, it just doesn't save!

tbh, asides from MS, most consoles don't come with something to save to bundled in, although the Cube has had some packages which include memory cards, like the Pokemon Coleseum (sp?) pack.
    Unless it says it on the box it's not really a farce. It's just something to look out for.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I've never had a console that comes with a memory card. It's just the way things are done.

Although it does catch me out every time I buy a new console.

I don't think the Gamecube ones are too expensive though, I've built up quite a stockpile of them over the years as alot of games come bundled with them, Resident Evil 0 included.

But do try and go for an official one. Unofficial ones are alot of hassle. I got a larger capacity one back when Nintendo weren't doing the larger ones themselves and sometimes I have to do alot of taking it out and putting it back in for it to be recognised.

I remember when I got a PS2... €30 for a memory card? sheesh...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

That's fairly crappy. especially seeing as the game takes up 9 blocks for each save (iirc)
    but you can't really expect to get a console, game and memory card for that kind of price.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

jesus youre moany. god its not like the game is **** or the machine is faulty, a poxy memory card which you can pick up for less than a tenner? fúckin hell id almost give you one of my six memory cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Rhyme wrote:
    Go official whatever you do, i wouldnt trust my precious saves with some shoddy 3rd party who-ha

I wouldnt say that, I have a nice 128mb one I got off ebay for dirt cheap and it hasnt failed me yet. Have 3rd party ones for my ps1 and dreamcast too and they never had any problems either

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

bush wrote:
    I wouldnt say that, I have a nice 128mb one I got off ebay for dirt cheap and it hasnt failed me yet. Have 3rd party ones for my ps1 and dreamcast too and they never had any problems either
    It depends on the game.

My unofficial ones have huge problems with Mario Sunshine and Phantasy Star Online... and some others too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Armen Tanzarian

Yeah its a bit **** the way you dont get a memory card.
    Game recomendations:
    Supermonkeyball 1 - 2
    Mariokart dd
    Waverace
    Eternal darkness
    Fight Night Round 2
    NBA Street

Dont buy Resident evil 0 its ****

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Dont buy Resident evil 0 its ****

that is so not true, it's different to Resi 4 but far from ****e. It's like a link between the series in terms of gameplay

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Buy the two metroid games. They are probably the best games of the current generation of consoles. Also:

Super mario sunshine
    F-zero GX
    Resi 1 remake
    Ikaruga
    Billy hatcher (its not brilliant but is very cheap)
    Pikmin 1+2
    Baten Kaitos
    Tales of Symphonia
    Skies of Arcadia
    Zelda: Wind Waker
    Harvest Moon: Its a wonderful life
    Viewtiful Joe 1+2

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

FFS. You can get GC memory cards ridiculously cheap. And the only GC bundle that has ever come with a memory card is the Pokemon Colosseum pack. If you went into GAME and bought a PS2, you wouldn't get a memory card with the console either, and we'd be relieving you of €30 for one. You can get a 128Mb GC card for €23 in GAME now.

*is vaguely pissed off that Liffey Valley has the RE4 cube in stock and we don't...*

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

sticker wrote:
    Well considering the product does not function correctly (as sold as a self-contained entity) I do think it's a FARCE...

The ability to save a game is integral to it's completion, Unless you finish it in one sitting... which the vast majority of gamers would NOT DO. Not even allowing for hidden extras available after completion.

I think it's an underhanded move to release a console and game bundle that has a vital piece of kit missing...

Did it say it had a memory card? Did you ASK if it came with a memory card ? No. Noone was mislead, hence, no farce.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

Why did you buy a Gamecube when the Revo is out next year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭d22ontour

I bought an offical nintendo 251 memory card in virgin for €15 when they were selling ninty stuff for dirt cheap "no more deleting game saves thankfully".I never got one with any console when bought and didn't expect to either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Sweet wrote:
    Why did you buy a Gamecube when the Revo is out next year?
    Cause thats a year away. Why buy anything when a better version will be out eventuly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

and because they're so damn cheap :)

i remember when i got my ps1, it was a good few weeks after buying it before i even wanted a memory card. this was through a combination of having arcade games that you did complete in one sitting, or being **** at/having no interest in the others.
    btw ridge racer was a complete bag of dog ****e :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

It depends on the game.

My unofficial ones have huge problems with Mario Sunshine and Phantasy Star Online... and some others too.

Well I had no problems with any games including mario sunshine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Ciaran500 wrote:
    Cause thats a year away. Why buy anything when a better version will be out eventuly.

Yeah, Ciaran's right, the cube is such good value too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

that is so not true, it's different to Resi 4 but far from ****e. It's like a link between the series in terms of gameplay

It is ****e.
    It is as poorly pieced together as any typical prequel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

bush wrote:
    Well I had no problems with any games including mario sunshine.

me too

but i hear burnout 2 will wipe everything from an unofficial card.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

My friend bought a gamecube with super smash brothers without a memory card, so he left it on for 2 weeks so he wouldn't lose all his unlocks. Then he went to buy a memory card and when he got back he found out the power had gone out. So memory cards should be included with the console! Btw the revolution doesn't need memory cards does it with the it's flash memory and all?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

The Saturn had its own save memory. There's no excuse for any console since not having its own save memory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

eyerer wrote:
    me too

but i hear burnout 2 will wipe everything from an unofficial card.
    I've got Burnout 2 saves on a 32Mb GAME memory card, and it hasn't nuked anything from that. And that memory card has my precious Metroid Prime 1 and 2 saved games, and the most recent backup of my SSBM save file.

Advertisement