Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noisy analogue line and broadband test

• 24-05-2005 8:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 232 ✭✭

Sorry to be starting 2 threads on the same day, but can someone give me their opinion on my situation.
    I have a very noisy analogue line (only getting 24kb/s and pings around 2000ms). I was planning to wait for Smart (supposed to be up and running next month). I am 5km from the exchange (they say that they will connect up to 7km).
    Am I right in assuming that my noisy analogue line will make the broadband test even harder to pass ??

Many thanks for any opinions.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭eoinok

U haven't a chance there!!!

Get onto Eirbomb and ask them to do a line test.
    Hopefully it will fail and they will send someone out to sort it. then you will be spot on for broadband.

Girlfriend has the same issue as you, but unfortunately she "passes" the line test and Eirbobm wont do a tap to help her. Fastest she gets is 20K :(

I had a problem similar as well (was on a good run!!!) and I would pass the broadband test. Thankfully my phone failed eircoms "line test" and they came out and sorted it. Now I have BB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 232 ✭✭fisab

Thanks for the info.
    Unfortunately, eircom have switched out a circuit and did a number of tests and they fall within the appropriate limits. I reckon I'll fail the smart test and should look at IBB wireless as it seems my only option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Is it noisy when you talk on the phone? If so, call Eircom's fault dept and ask them to fix it. Don't mention anything to do with modems or broadband as they only deal with noisy lines from a voice perspective, being the modern telco that they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Dopey

Eircom are a bunch of grassholes when it comes to this. I contacted them about a similar problem last year. The person I was compaining on bahalf of lives in a rural area. Eircom said that they were using a carrier line and even though it sounded like a game of tennis was in progress it was acceptable for voice calls.

Dopey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

Just a thought! are you sure the prob is with the line outside your house.. To confirm this find the point where the line comes into the house, disconnect everything else from it & connect a cable straight from there to your PC or laptop .If the speeds are still crap then its eircoms fault , If its good then there is a bad connection or the like somewhere around the house.. This can then be traced by adding any extension lines 1 by 1 & repeating the speed check... Good luck with it!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭pablo321

I was failing the online test.

I managed to pass the test by disconnecting all internal lines and getting rid of the really old phone I had.

As soon as broadband was hooked up I reconnected the old internal lines.. Not a bother:)

Worth checking though..

Oh you could try the intermittant line problems fib, say it usually happened when it rains...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

My phone line could do no more than 28kbs on dial-up but was ok for DSL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

Sorry to hijack your thread

I rang IOL yesterday about my broadband randomly disconnecting. They said they would do a line test and get back to me.

When I connected today I found I was connected at 1 Mbps instead of my normal 2 and it hasn't disconnected yet.

They said the line mightn't be able to handle 2 Mps. Strange. Anything I can do about it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Actually No.

The product is a minimum 1Mb and UP TO 2Mb product which in your case is operating at the lowest possible speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Actually No.

The product is a minimum 1Mb and UP TO 2Mb product which in your case is operating at the lowest possible speed.

Thanks. Yeah IOL put it down to 1MB and I've have no major disconnection issues.

The are putting broadband cabling down in the road outside the house so I might be able to upgrade again soon

• Advertisement
Advertisement