Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can i get low cost wine for our wedding?

• 24-05-2005 9:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭

Lets face it,

Weddings can be very expensive, and ours is slowly going out of financial control. :eek:

So with this in mind, i have put my foot down and have opted out of getting the expensive house wine at our wedding venue and am looking for information or a contact so that we might cut costs and get some cases elsewhere.

If anyone has any ideas or contacts, then please let me know.

Thanks in advance lads!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Access wrote:

If anyone has any ideas or contacts, then please let me know.
    !

France. Borrow a van or large car, book a quick trip on the ferry. Pick up as much as you need in the Hypermarket in Cherbourg (or LeHavre)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

A friend of mine went to LIDL and got some really nice reds and white. He made an agreement allowing him to return any unused bottles as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

We bought all our wine in Tesco. Honest!! Tesco were introducing a new Australian brand usual price E10 - Special E5 per bottle. On top of that my GF brother works in Tesco so he bought the wine and we got a further 10% off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭tirl

double check that the hotel will allow you bring in your own, and that they don't charge a corking fee..........which means that they charge for each bottle that is opened

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I'd be amaxed if there wasn't a corking fee.

It is one to keep an eye on.

Bear in mind the following. They sound obvious, but I know ppl who've been caught out by each one, and ended up concluding they saved no money at the end of it all.

If you can't return unopened wine, then you budget for what you buy, regardless of what was drunk. OK - you have the rest to drink at a later date, but you've paid for it.

If you're going to France or somewhere, figure your transport costs to a "per bottle" and add it on. Its usually not just the price of a ferry ticket.

Assume all wine will be opened when calculating the corkage cost.

jc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

bonkey wrote:
    Its usually not just the price of a ferry ticket.
    Yep, petrol, eating out, babysitters, time, stress.
    You could always make a bit of a holiday out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭deecom

I found these guys to be great, cheap too! There out on the Nass Road beside Koping Volvo. Its bulk buy only, which is great I drop out every few weeks to stock up.

http://www.thebigwinewarehouse.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Thanks for the info...

I know about the corkage already... the hotel is charging €8 corkage, and their house wine is €20 a bottle. They are fine with us bringing in our own wine.

So if I can get bottles at less then €10, well then im sorted.

As for going to france... the wedding is 18th June, so not enough time!

I do often go up to Sainsburys in Newry (from Navan) to stock up on vodka and cans for family events etc. and vodka and cans are normally half of what it costs down here! but I would not have a clue of wine, so what should I be looking for? Sparkling wine maybe? Red/white?

The idea is to place 3/4 bottles on each of the 20 tables in ice buckets.

Thanks for the help so far, but what do you think of my idea, and any ideas of what wine to get.

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭tirl

Dunnes have 25% off Australian wines until this Sunday. Tesco also have their own brand Chardonnay for between €5.90 & €7 but do you really want a tesco brand bottle on the table, although the wines are fine it might look a bit tacky. The Dunnes offer would be fine as they are all branded wines and 25% is a good discount

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭babaduck

Access

We went to France for wedding wine, turned it into a long w/e and had a ball... the cost was outweighed by the stress relief! We borrowed a van from work & filled it to the brim with the wine and loads of cases of beer.

I'm a bit of a wedding expert so I'd recommend that you have 1/2 a bottle per guest and go for a 50/50 split on the red & white wine. It's nicer (and classier) for the waiting staff to top up the glasses rather than leaving bottles on the table. The tables are generally crammed to the brim with plates, knives, candelabras, vases etc and the bottles just add to the crush.

If you're in a hurry & want decent wine, Sainsburys or Tesco up north is always a good deal. Check out their websites for offers and hit the road. Remember that you'll get clubcard points in Tesco and that's worth money when you next get your tesco vouchers.

I'd prob bypass Newry & head to Saintfield in Belfast because it has much better stock

If you need a hand with recommendations of particular wines, give me a shout - I'm a wee bit knowledgeable (thanks to a wine-collecting Dad) and have a nice wee cellar of my own.

G'Luck!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭babaduck

tirl wrote:
    Dunnes have 25% off Australian wines until this Sunday. Tesco also have their own brand Chardonnay for between €5.90 & €7 but do you really want a tesco brand bottle on the table, although the wines are fine it might look a bit tacky. The Dunnes offer would be fine as they are all branded wines and 25% is a good discount

Tirl,

You don't get 25% off the price, you get 25% of the value back in Dunnes vouchers later on if you have a Value Club card

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Try supervalu, they will even refund you for wine if its not used for a party!!

Advertisement